Trouble with yahoo

Brian's Mail list account

Many people have an address they use through yahoo and an email client like tbird, OutlookExpress and wlm.
It seems in the last few days Yahoo have forced most of these people to go to the log in page and ask for a text to be sent to their phone to verify them then choose another password.
However when I tried this yesterday, I found that it all worked up until I put in the four characters from the text whereupon it told me I was not me and sent an email to me telling me it had had attempts to access my account from an unauthorised person.
Obviously pop3 is working and the smtp server is what has been locked out.
Does this ring any bells. Now my guess is that either due to nvda reading the wrong field description has meant I entered the code into the wrong place,or the phone speaking the characters is not reading some of them, maybe some punctuation or something.
Has anyone got this to actually work?

If its the former reason it should be possible to work around it if I knew where to look for the text, but if its the latter I have a 'dumb' phone and it is what it is, and so I have little hope of fixing it. Incidentally their help number wants

$100 to fix it over the phone.

Seeing as the problem is of their own making, I've a good mind to advise my friends to abandon it and get a gmail account which I understand can not only be enabled for pop3/smtp, but can collect email from other accounts as well, though no idea on how to achieve this. Maybe there is a tutorial somewhere. I'd hope gmail does not use capchars as none of us have any way to read them.

Slightly off topic but thought it was right to highlight this issue as others might well be affected as well and somebody might have solved it. Incidentally could not figure out how to post to their forum either, Yahoo that is.

Off for lunch.
:-)

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

Gmail has pop3 settings you turn and it works perfectly. I have been using
it for years.

[...]

Brian,

        I'm gathering you're referring to the e-mail message from Yahoo entitled, "REMINDER:  Secure Your Yahoo Account," though given the amount of haranguing they've been doing after the announced-years-later password breach it could be another.

        I could, and did, ignore that reminder because essentially it's a solicitation to turn on 2-step verification which I have no desire to do (and don't use it for accessing Gmail via Thunderbird, WLM 2012, and Outlook 2010, either, for which I use IMAP access, not POP).

        I haven't gotten anything that requires a code be sent to a mobile phone, though, as part of a verification process.

    I don't find an uninformed hatred a "principled position" that I need to respect in any way.

        ~ Ellen Evans, soc.motss, 11/6/2004

Brian's Mail list account

Yes that is not what I asked though. Many people want to not change their addresses.
[...]

Hi well straight after that message was received a load of us found smtp prompts for log on password.
When you go to follow the links it asks if they can send you a verification code to the mobile number they make you put in when you open the account. this is sent. It sounds like four characters and there is an unlabelled field on the page to enter it. It also says in the help that after doing this you will be asked to change your password and agree to use an old insecure email client, but I never get that far. Instead it just comes up with an unauthorised access message and sends you an email with a link back to another page to get another code again.

Its like Groundhog day.
They seem to be deliberately suggesting that all who have not changed their password do so but need the code to verify its really you. I can only deduce that its either that the field is the wrong one or the code read by my dumb phone is incomplete. Sadly the phone has no way to step through the characters in the message it just says fy8d or whatever its is.

Are you saying you can actually send email through yahoo after that message?

I can't It still receives of course but not send.

--
*Brian*

I don't find an uninformed hatred a "principled position" that I need to respect in any way.

~ *Ellen Evans * , soc.motss , 11/6/2004

Gene

You can try sending the text to an e-mail account.  On my phone, though Ive seldom done so, I believe I did send a text message or two as an attachment.  Or getting sighted help should allow you to solve the problem unless the text is limited in time and would time out before you got the assistance or received the message on your computer and looked at it.  You may need someone to be present when you go through the procedure.  Or there may be a disability number you can call.

But whatever the case, by far, the likely problem is that you aren't getting adequate information from the phone message.  Though there may be other possibilities, none of them seem to make sense.

[...]

The phone has no display only audio out.
I'm going to leave it till Tuesday and try sending it to another phone.
They most certainly do complicate simple processes.
[...]

David Griffith

Just in relation to the difficulty reading the text mesage is there a way on your phone of copying and pasting the information into an email and sending it to your self for review on a PC?

If using an iPhone you can use the last phrase copied to the pasteboard function- quadruple triple tap and then you can just use the rota to paste it into an email as usual. I have done this several times when I have wanted more permanent records of texts.

then of course NVDA could review the text in detail for you.

I am afraid I am not sure how to do this on other phones though it might be worth looking at context menus in Android.

David Griffith

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...>