Has anyone else had this happen? random buzzing sound since upgrading to 17.1 ...

Laurie Mehta

Hi,
I'm experiencing a strange buzz sound randomly since upgrading to the latest NVDA version even though my setup is no different from what I've used for a long time now with no negative issues.

On this machine (MacBookAir partitioned using Win7 via BootCamp) I use e-speak set to default language and the voice Quincey.
I just upgraded directly from NVDA 16.1 to 17.1.
Since the upgrade, I'm experiencing a strange issue that I cannot replicate but which is recurring randomly when I'm typing...
I hear a buzz sound when typing-- it seems to happen as I make a keystroke but it does not seem to be connected with typing a particular character.
--this is just a single buzz and it just happens randomly.

This never happened before on this machine and I've been using NVDA on it for many years.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Is there anything that can be done to prevent the random buzz sound?

Thanks,
Laurie M.

Tyler Spivey

That's the spelling error sound.
To turn it off, go to the NVDA menu, Preferences, Keyboard settings, and uncheck "Play sound for spelling errors while typing".

On 3/2/2017 11:17 PM, Laurie Mehta via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Is this only on Espeak or do other synths do it as well?
When you say buzz, are you meaning as if the sound is opened up with no output but a buzz or is this a buzz kind of playing along with the spoken output. I mention this as I have one machine that does this and it seems to be something to do with a creative usb sound device that needs no driver as such. I put it down to hardwre issues.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

That is not what I would call the spelling error sound, that is more of a tone than a buzz.
[...]

Andre Fisher

It's not random, it occurs when you make a spelling error, as
determined by the application you are using, like Microsoft Word and
Firefox.

On 3/3/17, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

Robert Mendoza

This features has been added to the nvda, but if you prefer not to hear it again you can disable it . Try to uncheck under the preferences , then keyboard settings. Or you could pressed nvda plus control plus K to launch the dialog and uncheck the "Play sound for spelling errors while typing" then press Okay to take applies. the configuration.

Robert Mendoza

On 3/3/2017 8:05 PM, Andre Fisher wrote:
[...]

Chris Mullins

Have you also got win 10 App essentials running? I noticed that if I type anything into Cortana I get a sound like a sliding door opening then closing when I press enter. This doesn't happen if I disable Win 10 App Essentials.

Cheers
Chris

[...]

That sound isn't random either. It notifies you if suggestions are available.

On 3/3/17, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Tyler, Robert and others...

This buzz sound was sounding after a comma or period following a proper name or abbreviation so I did not make the connection that it might be a spell-correct indicator.

Yes, I realize that proper names or abbreviations that are not contained in an application's dictionary will be noted as misspellings by the program, but I had not realized that NVDA had added the spelling feature and I just did not make the connection when I heard the sound.
Amusingly enough, the buzz sounded just now as I typed NVDA.

Anyway, thanks very much for your responses, each of you, and thanks also to Tyler and Robert for explaining how to undo the feature if I need to do that.

Have a great day!
- Laurie

On Fri, 3/3/17, you wrote:

It's not random, it
occurs when you make a spelling error, as
determined by the application you are using,
like Microsoft Word and
Firefox.

Robert Mendoza

Hi, Lauri!

You are very welcome, and glad that we could able to help you to addressed your concerns. I, and the rest of the members here in this list is willing to help and possible to solved in possible time. If you have any further questions, comments, or even to suggest to make the nvda a more reliable tool please don't hesitate to send us here your message.

Robert Mendoza

Robert Mendoza