Basic overview I'm navigating Thunderbird with NVDA

Tony James <megatronjames@...>

Hi, I am using NVDA 16.4 and the latest version of Thunderbird.  Does anyone happen to have a tutorial on how to navigate this program using nvda?  Thx

Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! May your swords stay sharp!  (ancient language Phrase from inheritance cycle)

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Tony

A few years back i did a tutorial on using mozilla thunder bird along with navigating it and so on and also based at a new user to mozilla thunder bird.  this was  when written using nvda and still is the same concept to use. the chat part does not work with thunder bird with face book though but am sure other might when set up.

The tutorial can be found on my web site at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/accessible%20email%20client%20mozilla%20thunderbird.html

That link will take you straight to the mozilla thunder bird page i wrote and there is a couple of audio recording to.

you might find other stuff of interest on the website the nvda pages are written for the desk top computer and if you go to the home page it will take you to the main page where you can find other blindness related material.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 5/03/2017 12:47 AM, Tony James wrote:
Hi, I am using NVDA 16.4 and the latest version of Thunderbird.  Does anyone happen to have a tutorial on how to navigate this program using nvda?  Thx

Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass!  May your swords stay sharp!  (ancient language Phrase from inheritance cycle)

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

the other thing that has changed in mozilla thunder bird is where the attachments can be found now. They are under the message menu which should be stated in the tutorial of its move and as they used to be under the file menu to insert a attachment is still under the file menu.

Otherwise i do not think mozilla thunder bird has changed much as i use it all of the time.

Hope it helps

Gene nz

On 5/03/2017 10:03 AM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

[...]

Hi Jean, yes this is very helpful.  I'm using Thunderbird to reply.  Maybe this is also covered in the tutorial as well, but is there a way to have Thunderbird show most recent messages first?

On 3/4/2017 4:25 PM, Gene New Zeal            and wrote:

[...]

Robert Mendoza

Hi, Tony!

I used to prefer to sort my views by subject and descending order in this way the newer email message was on the top which is easily to read my messages. By doing this steps, press Alt plus V plus s, at the same time the two items mentioned above mentioned should be check
Robert Mendoza
On 3/5/2017 12:53 PM, Tony James wrote:

[...]

I can not remember if it is or not because every ones preferences are different. But the section of thunder bird is the view menu then sort by. The ones that are ticked are your prefereces.

mine on this computer is the date is checked and descending so the newest is at the top and then going down. If it is not it can easily be put in as a section on the thunder bird tututorial if it is not there.

Gene nz

On 5/03/2017 5:53 PM, Tony James wrote:

[...]

Hi, I got it sorted now.  2 more questions for now.  first, can thunderbird group messages by thread and how do u bring your gmail contacts down?

On 3/5/2017 12:40 AM, Robert Mendoza wrote:
[...]

Hi i just looked under the sort by section there is a part where you can have them threaded or not.

I use outlook.com for my emails up on the web but did not like it much when they changed the interface, so then looked up the settings for outlook.com and then setup the account in mozilla thunder bird with those details. So now what happens is the emails on outlook.com instead of going to the website now come down to mozilla thunder bird and that is the way i like it.

I am guessing you could also do the same for gmail as well and have them come down to mozilla thunder bird.

The following page should help you configure mozilla thunder bird for gmail to they come down to mozilla thunder bird.

The link to this page is https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Set-up-email/Thunderbird-and-Gmail/ta-p/14181

i should set it up on this computer as well as i do myself have it for my android phones.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 5/03/2017 7:42 PM, Tony James wrote:

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Tony,

If you want to group by conversation, the shortcut key is the letter T.  If you want to unthread the messages, the keystroke is N.  You press these keys from a message list--not from a open message.

On 3/5/2017 1:42 AM, Tony James wrote:

[...]

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron Canazzi

Hi Tony,

To bring your mail contacts down from GMail, you must set up GMail from the web interface to an IMap or pop3 setting. This is a bit involved.  If you need further instructions, I or someone else can give them.

[...]

Correction:  To thread messages the keystroke is T. To unthread or ungroup, the keystroke is back slash.  N is used for the next unread message in a message list. All these keystrokes are performed from a message list--not from within a message.

[...]

hi Jean and all, I managed to get the contacts ad-on and I also got my mail threaded.  Now its just a matter of playing around with the program to learn how it works.  is the calendar function usable with nvda?  it wasn't covered in the tutorial

On 3/5/2017 7:37 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

[...]

Brice Mijares

Would you be kind enough and explain this contact add on? Thank You.

On 3/5/2017 9:11 AM, Tony James wrote:
[...]

hi, the contacts ad-on simply allows contacts to b synced between Thunderbird and gmail.

On 3/5/2017 12:16 PM, Brice Mijares wrote:
[...]

Okay, thanks for the info.

--
<b>Check out the new location of my accessibility central
website for NVDA tutorials, NVDA road tested programs, and

Also, check out which New Zealand libraries have the NVDA
screen reader available by visiting the following link
<b>Check out the new location of my accessibility central
website for NVDA tutorials, NVDA road tested programs, and other
eyesight related topics.
http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/ If you would like to keep
up to date with whats being updated on our website, you can also
follow us on facebook by visiting
the following link
https://en-gb.facebook.com/people/AccessibilityCentral-Net/100009727930216

Also, check out which New Zealand libraries have the NVDA screen
reader available by visiting the following link
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron Canazzi

Hi Tony,

When I sent the original instructions as to how to simplify the threading and unthreading of messages, I must have been half asleep.  The actual shortcut keys are as follows (this is my second and final correction.)

T threads messages.

U unthreads messages.

back slash collapses and expands the threads.

N moves to the next unread message in a folder.

These commands must all be executed from a message list--not from within a message.

I do these keystrokes so often as a second nature that I easily confuse them when trying to instruct others.  Once again, my apologies.

On 3/5/2017 12:11 PM, Tony James wrote:

[...]

hmmm I have never synced address books with gmail but its good to know.

.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

In parts of it it is. I can set up a event etc to tell me when i say get paid each week but do not really put any thing into it apart from that  and that is event that comes up weekly. I can also read what it says.

I do not think the calander interface is accessible but can have more of a sus.

By the way i just wrote up a quick tutorial on setting up a g mail account for thunder bird users so people can send and recieve emails with thunder bird. Probably post that later on tonight with some other stuff.

I have read a few times how people do not like the web interface and if they want to use thunder bird it is a much easier option.

Gene nz

On 6/03/2017 6:11 AM, Tony James wrote:

[...]

Hi, I was wondering what the procedure is to change the alert tone for Thunderbird the new mail arrives and the other day I tried to add my iCloud account to it but it did not seem to work properly.  Can this be done?

On Mar 7, 2017, at 6:43 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

I can't answer the question about ICloud.  You can change the mail notification sound as follows.

1.  Alt + T for tools followed by O for options.

2.  You are in a tree view.  Use up/down arrow keys to highlight the general branch.

3.  tab past a bunch of items until you get to the item concerning playing a sound when new mail arrives.  Check this box using the space bar if it isn't already checked.

4.  If you keep tabbing, you should see an edit box for typing a path and file name for the new sounds.

5.  one tab past that edit field is a browse button.

6.  If you press space bar on the browse button, a standard windows explorer window opens up and you can navigate to the folder and file you want to use for the new mail notification.

7.  when you highlight the desired sound file, then tab to the open or OK button.  This should make the change.

8.  Then tab to the OK button to close the options dialogue and save the settings.