Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2017 9:37 AM
Subject: [nvda] Caps lock key not working as insert key

Hi my caps lock key is not working like the insert key it did once before and then one day it just stopped and now I am not sure what to do when I press the Caps lock key with something else it just says caps on or off but it doesn't do anything else can someone please help I am using what I think is the latest version of NVDA version 17.1

Sent from my iPhone

Brennen Kinch

I don't know where my insert key is on my computer on my old one it was next to the delete key but on this computer that's the print screen key

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 4, 2017, at 11:25 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

Open keyboard settings with control NVDA key k.  Use either insert since you can't use the caps lock key.
Tab until you get to use caps lock as an NVDA modifier.  It's a check box.
Check it with the space bar.
Press enter.
You can now use the caps lock key as an NVDA modifier.
Now, issue the command control NVDA key c.  That will make sure the setting is saved permanently.  If you have changed settings you don't want to save, don't use that command until you have settings as you want them since all your current settings will be saved.

Gene

----- Original Message -----From: brennenkinch@...
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2017 9:37 AM

Hi my caps lock key is not working like the insert key it did once before and then one day it just stopped and now I am not sure what to do when I press the Caps lock key with something else it just says caps on or off but it doesn't do anything else can someone please help I am using what I think is the latest version of NVDA version 17.1

Sent from my iPhone

Brennen Kinch

I figured out the insert key was after the F 12 Key so I will use that as the access to the NVDA menu until I can get the caps lock key fixed thanks for the help

Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2017 9:37 AM

Hi my caps lock key is not working like the insert key it did once before and then one day it just stopped and now I am not sure what to do when I press the Caps lock key with something else it just says caps on or off but it doesn't do anything else can someone please help I am using what I think is the latest version of NVDA version 17.1

Sent from my iPhone

Gene

In future, when you get a new computer, make sure you know where the insert key is.  It is very important for working with NVDA.  Whenever NVDA is newly installed on a computer, insert is the only NVDA key.

You can change the setting you want to change by working with the NVDA.ini file.  I know where it is in the portable version.  It's probably in a different place in the installed version.  If someone tells you where the NVDA.ini file is, I'll send instructions how to change the setting in the file unless someone does so first.  If you have sighted help available, finding out where the insert key is and following my previous instructions would be the fastest and easiest way to change the setting.

Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2017 9:37 AM

Hi my caps lock key is not working like the insert key it did once before and then one day it just stopped and now I am not sure what to do when I press the Caps lock key with something else it just says caps on or off but it doesn't do anything else can someone please help I am using what I think is the latest version of NVDA version 17.1

Sent from my iPhone

Chris

Not really necessary On a fresh install of nvda  theres a pop up dialog which allows the modifier to be changed if so desired

Jacob Kruger

Also, if you can't find the insert key, if you can get to the notification/status bar on windows - windows key + N, if NVDA icon is showing up there, you can also invoke context menu on it to get to preferences, keyboard preferences, etc. etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
On 2017-03-04 20:05, Chris wrote:

Not really necessary On a fresh install of nvda  theres a pop up dialog which allows the modifier to be changed if so desired

Brennen Kinch

I found it and fixed the capslock key

Sent from my iPhone

On 2017-03-04 20:05, Chris wrote:

Not really necessary On a fresh install of nvda  theres a pop up dialog which allows the modifier to be changed if so desired

Gene

I haven't installed NVDA for a long time and I didn't know about the dialog.  But it still is very important to know where the actual insert key is especially if you don't have a numpad.
There are very commonly used commands that are very inconvenient to use with the caps lock option.  Read title bar is one, find in browse mode is another, and announce formatting is a third.  I expect there are others, perhaps many others that I haven't thought of.

Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2017 9:37 AM

Hi my caps lock key is not working like the insert key it did once before and then one day it just stopped and now I am not sure what to do when I press the Caps lock key with something else it just says caps on or off but it doesn't do anything else can someone please help I am using what I think is the latest version of NVDA version 17.1

Sent from my iPhone

Gene

The task bar, which it sounds as though you are talking about is gotten to with the command Windows key b.  I doubt this has changed in Windows 10.

On 2017-03-04 20:05, Chris wrote:

Not really necessary On a fresh install of nvda  theres a pop up dialog which allows the modifier to be changed if so desired

Gene

Also, if you are going to use the task bar icon, you either have to use the context menu key to open the menu or the rough equivalent, shift f10.

I didn't think of the task bar option but it's good to keep in mind just in case it's needed for some reason.

On 2017-03-04 20:05, Chris wrote:

Not really necessary On a fresh install of nvda  theres a pop up dialog which allows the modifier to be changed if so desired

Chris Mullins

There are in fact a couple of task bar related windows commands.  Windows+t puts focus on the currently running apps and task bar pinned items.  Windows+b puts focus on the system tray which contains apps running in the background.  Here you can press enter on the Notification chevron button to open  the overflow area, which lists background items that don’t fit on the system tray.  You will find the NVDA icon in the system tray or it’s overflow area and you can press enter on it to display the NVDA menu.  This means you can access the NVDA menu without having to use the NVDA key to do so.

Cheers

Chris

On 2017-03-04 20:05, Chris wrote:

Not really necessary On a fresh install of nvda  theres a pop up dialog which allows the modifier to be changed if so desired

Jacob Kruger

Sorry - you're right - don't know why was thinking about N key instead of B key ⌣

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA