NVDA doesn't read certain controls in applications that run as another user

Simon Jaeger

Hi all,
Subject line pretty much says it all. If I'm on a non-admin account and I run something as the administrator account, a lot of controls (such as list views, tree views etc) won't read properly. Anyone have any workarounds? This is no ta common issue and I suspect it's not easily solvable either, but I figure there's no harm in asking.

Simon

Laughing Thunder

Hello,

If you run NVDA as admin along with the other app, you can get around that problem, but you have to exit your copy of NVDA before running it as admin. What I did was create a shortcut to NVDA, and went into its properties, and specified that the particular shortcut should run as admin. I then run the app I need to use as admin, exit NVDA, then use my shortcut to run NVDA as admin also. When I'm done working in the elevated app, I exit that app, along with NVDA, then restart my original instance of NVDA under my own account. It's not convenient, since you need to have identical NVDA configurations in both your admin and standard accounts if you expect NVDA to behave the same way in both instances, but it gets the job done. Just be mindful of the possible security implications, and remember to exit the elevated copy of NVDA along with the elevated app, and return to your original instance of NVDA when done.

Hope that helps.

On 3/5/2017 3:32 PM, Simon Jaeger wrote:
Hi all,
Subject line pretty much says it all. If I'm on a non-admin account and I run something as the administrator account, a lot of controls (such as list views, tree views etc) won't read properly. Anyone have any workarounds? This is no ta common issue and I suspect it's not easily solvable either, but I figure there's no harm in asking.

Simon

Its probably because you run a portable.
The security system in windows requires that an installed copy is used.
Failing that, you do realise that nvda will need to have settings in that account and that account should be independant from your other account, however if you go to %appdata% in your non admin account copy the nvda folder, then in the admin account go to the same folder, try at first placing them in there and seeing if that fixes it.
else delete that nvda folder in that account and see.
You could always try to just delete all your nvda settings and see if that fixes things settings can get dammaged.
You could also try to uninstall and reinstall nvda.
I have systems with multiple accounts and you don't just switch accounts and run nvda and then hope it works the same.
It shouldn't do this though.
On my personal system I have uac off because of older software but everything else has it active for security reasons and I don't encounter issues until I need to install something and then alt y is good for you.

On 6/03/2017 10:32 a.m., Simon Jaeger wrote:
Hi all,
Subject line pretty much says it all. If I'm on a non-admin account and
I run something as the administrator account, a lot of controls (such as
list views, tree views etc) won't read properly. Anyone have any
workarounds? This is no ta common issue and I suspect it's not easily
solvable either, but I figure there's no harm in asking.

Simon

.

Simon Jaeger

Hi,

Looks like running it as that user does the trick. It was technically a really niche situation though, and I found out the problem was that UAC was prompting for the wrong account details. I have the hidden admin account enabled and for some reason it was defaulting to that one, even though my regular account is administrator. If I actually confirm the uac prompt with credentials from the current account, it runs as that user and everything works fine even without running an elevated copy of NVDA. Either way, good to keep in mind if I face a situation where a system is locked down and I need to run apps as admin occasionally. Sidenote: I've thought of doing this to my own system to make it more secure, but I figure a passworded UAC prompt is probably as good as it gets.

Thanks all.

Simon

On 2017-03-05 17:45, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Subject line pretty much says it all. If I'm on a non-admin account and
I run something as the administrator account, a lot of controls (such as
list views, tree views etc) won't read properly. Anyone have any
workarounds? This is no ta common issue and I suspect it's not easily
solvable either, but I figure there's no harm in asking.

Simon

.

To be honest while windows has got a bit more officient in uac usage I'd still like windows to behave like linux.
Ie by default program files should be located in your home directories, well all program files folders and maybe another lot for the system.
Thus the only time I need to even bother with root on linux is if I need to change a system configuration which will effect the system, or save a system setting, or modify a system file, or install a program, or run code.
In windows I need to do that as well but also for the following.
To allow some programs access to the net, to allow a program to run windows is not sure of.
To allow windows to run something which its already running.
To change some settings, to run files windows is not sure of.
Fine, but then there is, to run files that windows has no idea about, or that while windows has run them before its forgot what they are.
It used to be worse, but still older software without certifficates well.
Certain directories will not save automatically.
In theory we shouldn't need to use system files but windows has used program files folder which is a share system folder.
As soon as your user account has a folder, part of that becomes a system folder.
And so on and so on.