NVDA and google chrome

Armando Maldonado

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Avast logo

Setting images not to be displayed is a good idea.  Images are one way in which malware may be spread.  Someone may present a link with a tutorial about how to work with Chrome settings.  The Chrome interface is different from Internet Explorer or Firefox.  But in terms of using it when you first get it, turning off images is the only setting I would say to change for safety.

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and google chrome

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Avast logo

Armando Maldonado

Thanks I will have to give this a try.

Armando

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Avast logo

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi NVDA will work out of the box with google chrome.

I do have a tutorial on the basics of google chrome going through a few of the settings i think is both written and audio tutorial that can be found at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20tutorials%20for%20other%20programs.html

When you get there you will need to jump down by headings to a section  called how to navigate google chrome with nvda.

It does not cover about not displaying images as most people want to see them if they are sighted.

You can jump through the settings menu when it is open by headings to the different sections or arrow through the sections. You might have to change between browse mode and focus mode for some sections.

Any how if you do want to turn them off you will need to go to the following section when google chrome is open.

Press the alt key until the file menu comes up then go to settings, then press the enter key.

Next go to advanced settings it is right down the bottom of the page then press the enter key.

When the new pages opens you will need to look for a heading called privacy. Just under it will be a button called content settings. Press the enter key or space bar on it. When it opens Under this section you can also jump down by headings locate one called images and just underneath it is a check box that says do not show any images make sure that one is checked and not the one that says show them.

Then close out of google chrome and the new settings will take place.

if needed i can add that to the written part of the google tutorial in the next few days for later reference for any one who wants to do it.

Gene nz

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Avast logo

Armando Maldonado

Thanks, I will check that out.

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Avast logo

Does your tutorial discuss using the search function in settings?  For efficient use of the interface, using the search feature is essential, at least for a blind user who has to tab through everything otherwise.

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Avast logo

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Gene

No it does not. I guess also i figured people would know how to use the search feature.

A section can easily be put into the written part. I guess also you might have to have a rough idea of what you are looking for under the settings section but then again the search will pull up any results.

I will add this search one in along with the how to not display images in google chrome part of the tutorials.

I got some more stuff to go up to the website so will post it up there in the next few days for later reference.

Gene nz

Gene nz

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Avast logo

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene N/Z,

I'm having trouble changing my home page in google chrome. I do everything correctly but when I go back into chrome, it goes back to the chrome home page instead of google. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

hi

To set your home page you will need to do the following from my web site.

Setting a home page in Google Chrome
To have a certain page come up every time that you go into Google Chrome (such as a certain newspaper you may wish to read online), press the Alt key until the menu comes up or use the Alt key + F to bring up the menu. Arrow down to the settings menu, then press the Enter key. A new page will come up like a webpage where you can use single letter navigation keys to navigate it; for example H for headings, B for buttons and so on. Only certain single letter navigation keys are supported.
You can use the letter H to jump down to a heading called “on startup”. From here you can arrow down until you hear NVDA say radio button, Open a specific page or set of pages.
Press the Spacebar to check the radio button.
Just underneath the radio button will be a link called set pages. Press the Enter key on it, then it will give you the option to put in your homepage address (for example http://www.stuff.co.nz).
Next, it will ask you (once it is entered) if you want to use the current page. Press the spacebar on this button, then tab to the ok button. Now, when you reopen Google Chrome, it should have your homepage set.

Actually my home page is set to stuff here still when i wrote it.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Rosemarie Chavarria

I tried your instructions and they didn't work. What am I missing?

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

I haven't played with it for a good while because I have done almost nothing with settings since I played around and looked at what I was interested in.  I think you have to manually turn brows mode off when in the edit field and I don't recall now if you get better results if you leave it off or turn it back on again when looking through the results.  Also, when you do a search for many things, one result will say content settings and that
's likely to be the result you should follow to find what you are looking for.

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Avast logo

Try this way which actually is for setting a home page and doesn't use the open pages item which was discussed earlier.  That may be able to be used in a similar way but it is not the home page setting.

Open settings.
Tab until you get to a check box that is also misidentified as a button that says show home page.  Check it with the space bar if it isn't checked.
Tab to the link that says change.  Press enter.  If nothing happens, manually turn browse mode off and press enter.
A dialog opens.  Do not turn browse mode back on.  You are in a list of two radio buttons.  Up or down arrow to the radio button that says show this page.  It will be checked when you arrow to it.
Tab once and type the address you want to use.
Tab to the ok button and press the space bar.  You should now see that page come up when you run Chrome.

Gene----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 5:50 PM

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Rosemarie Chavarria

I'll give it a shot. If it works, I'll let you know.

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 5:50 PM

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene,

I tried but to no avail. I don't know what's going on.

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 5:50 PM

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Simone Dal Maso

Just a thing.
Google Chrome has an accessibility section on its addon manager store. One of this addon allows to use cursor to navigate web pages. While it seems useful, I really encourage you not using it, because you will have great problems on edit field, because when you press arrow keys, you lost focus mode and you can't check what you are writing.

A part of this, it is a good solution.

Il 07/03/2017 01:38, Rosemarie Chavarria ha scritto:
I'll give it a shot. If it works, I'll let you know.

I tried your instructions and they didn't work. What am I missing?

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and
NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If
i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration
settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is
there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be
appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Image removed by sender. Avast logo

software.

Chris Mullins

Hi

What is described below is not for setting up your home page in Chrome.  The ‘Start Up’ section is just that, it displays whatever you want Chrome to display when it first starts up.  The home page is defined in the next section called ‘Appearance’.  The are a couple of controls in this section that are relevant.  There is a check box called ‘Show Home Button’, which puts a ‘Home’ button icon on the Chrome menu bar.  When activated this button displays the homepage but it’s function can be replicated using alt+home, so choose whether you need to display the icon or not.  The next control shows the url of the hompage.  If you want to change it, press enter on the associated change link.  In the subsequently displayed dialog box, select the radio button entitled ‘Use this page’, tab to the next control and enter the url of your preferred home page,.  note if you have the Google page open at the point when you invoke the Settings page, the URL for it will probably automatically populate this control.  Now tab to the OK button and press enter.  Press control+f4 to close the Settings page.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:51 AM

I don't use anything other than the default settings, and NVDA and chrome work just fine.

On 3/6/2017 11:53 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

So I've heard of people using NVDA and google chrome. If i were to switch, what are the optimal configuration settings I shall set so I can use this properly? Is there an add-on for chrome? Any tips would grately be appreciated, thanks.

Armando

Brandon Cross <bcross3286@...>

About the only problem you're likely to have is some issues in multiline edit boxes where characters you backspace over are not read, and left to right character navigation with the arrow keys doesn't work quite right. For instance, Some characters are repeated even if they are not repeated in the text. This does not happen in FF. I also like FF's spell checking functionality better, Chrome's barely works, you use context key over a word that is misspelled, and no suggestions appear 90% of the time. Also, NVDA's in build spelling buzzer doesn't work with it.