Web Ads

Ralph Boersema

Hi Folks,

I find ads on web pages very bothersome. I'm curious how others may be dealing with them. Is there anything in NVDA that can help to get past ads?

Regards,
Ralph

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

hi

No

But your browser might have add blocking in it, it might just need to be
turned on for it to work or maybe get a add blocker add on for your browser.

Gene nz

On 7/03/2017 3:14 PM, Ralph Boersema wrote:
Hi Folks,

I find ads on web pages very bothersome. I'm curious how others may be dealing with them. Is there anything in NVDA that can help to get past ads?

Regards,
Ralph

Ralph Boersema

I forgot to say that I use Windows 10 and Mozilla Firefox.

But your browser might have add blocking in it, it might just need to be turned on for it to work or maybe get a add blocker add on for your browser.

Gene nz

On 7/03/2017 3:14 PM, Ralph Boersema wrote:
Hi Folks,

I find ads on web pages very bothersome. I'm curious how others may be dealing with them. Is there anything in NVDA that can help to get past ads?

Regards,
Ralph

Some sites no longer allow you to use them with ad blockers but that should significantly cut down ads since many sites still allow them.

When reading articles, Firefox has a feature called something like reader view.  When on a page with an article, issue the command alt v for the view menu.  Up arrow I believe once to reader view and press enter. As I recall, you can turn it off in the same way.  On a lot or most pages with articles, that eliminates a lot of extraneous material.

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 8:28 PM

hi

No

But your browser might have add blocking in it, it might just need to be
turned on for it to work or maybe get a add blocker add on for your browser.

Gene nz

On 7/03/2017 3:14 PM, Ralph Boersema wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I find ads on web pages very bothersome. I'm curious how others may be dealing with them. Is there anything in NVDA that can help to get past ads?
>
> Regards,
> Ralph

Kwork

Yes, you are correct on both accounts. Reader view doesn't work 100% of the time, and sometimes it'll cut out text it's not supposed to, but that's probably only about 1 to 2 percent of the time. If you're suspicious, turn it off. The method Gene gave is correct. Turning it on and off is a per article basis, and not a global setting.
Travis

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 8:28 PM

hi

No

But your browser might have add blocking in it, it might just need to be
turned on for it to work or maybe get a add blocker add on for your browser.

Gene nz

On 7/03/2017 3:14 PM, Ralph Boersema wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I find ads on web pages very bothersome. I'm curious how others may be dealing with them. Is there anything in NVDA that can help to get past ads?
>
> Regards,
> Ralph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

That very much depends on the sort of site, and the browser. Firefox has arguably some of the best advert blockers like Ublock Origin, but some sites funded by adverts tend to increasingly get annoyed and ask you to turn the ad blockers off as they rely on the revenue. The problems would be solved if the advert providers made sure their adverts were not going to break the accessibility of a site, but it appears this is still wishful thinking. I vote with my feet, or should that be my keyboard in these cases.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I find ads on web pages very bothersome. I'm curious how others may be dealing with them. Is there anything in NVDA that can help to get past ads?

Regards,
Ralph

Roger Stewart

Nothing in NVDA, but most browsers have this feature. Also, Firefox has the No Script add on which blocks all Adobe and Flash scripts from running and also blocks most spyware and adware as well.

Roger

.