Slightly OT. Dropbox finally ditches xp

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Although they have been threatening it for some months now. today seems to be the day when it happened.
The last version which ran on xp was 13.xxx, and for about a month now its been prompting people to update it. But today, it just sits there permanently synching and doing whatever. Any attempt to run the latest installer will end in a circular error of windows error in an entry point in a dll file.
On amd machines it will simply crash and stop working.

I am given to understand you can still get onto the web site but the desktop client has stopped working.
This coincides with the changes where you can no longer use links to the public folder as a whole, for graphics etc or for file sharing, which I understand was seen as abuse.

OK back to your normal messages.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Abuse has nothing to do with public links.  As stated in a message sent to Drop Box users a week or two ago, support is being dropped for public links because, according to Drop Box, there are better methods for sharing files now.  All the files in your public folder will be kept.  They will be moved to another folder.  You will have to share new links as the old links won't work any longer.  All you have to do to get new links is the following:
Move to a file you want to share in the list.
Open the context menu.
Down arrow to an item that says something like copy link to clipboard.
Press enter.
The link has now been copied.
Share it just as you did before except that you should be sure to change the 0 at the end of the link to a 1.

While sharing your links again is an inconvenience, the procedure is almost identical to the one previously used for Public links.

Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 1:05 PM
Subject: [nvda] Slightly OT. Dropbox finally ditches xp

[...]

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Roger Stewart

About time! Good for them! Time for NVDA to do the same.

Roger

On 3/7/2017 1:05 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
[...]

.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

That is not the answer for the change I read on their forum. People had been posting the whole folder link so people could download audio files for a given album. It had however upset people who had use this method to keep graphics linked to their web pages.
[...]

Nimer Jaber

I am going to suggest that this thread either be taken offline or be dropped as it is not on topic.

thanks.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:43 AM Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
[...]

Cordially,

Nimer Jaber

Please take the time to read this signature completely as it contains
some information about the email you have just read and all
attachments contained within as well as some valuable resources and
methods for contacting me if you have any questions or wish to talk.

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (218-693-9271) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

Gene

I don't know if you can share a folder or only files using shared links.  I don't know specifically what the form was discussing.  I described how to share a file with a link, which is usually what people want to do.

[...]

My main point was to alert xp users that updating dropbox did not fix the lack of access. ththe sub topic mentioned was perhaps in need of my clarification, hhence the message.