Topics

Using Freedom Scientific Braille Display in Windows 10

Pauline Smith

Good Evening,

Since the upgrade to Windows 10, I haven't been able to use the computer with the FS braill display I am borrowing. I uninstalled and reinstalled the display drivers and checked the setting under Preferences/Braille Settings, then chose the appropriate display. Things still are not working. did I miss something?

Pauline

Maybe there are spaciffic drivers for win10 if not win8 or 8.1 drivers should work in theory.

On 8/03/2017 3:58 p.m., Pauline Smith wrote:
Good Evening,

Since the upgrade to Windows 10, I haven't been able to use the computer
with the FS braill display I am borrowing. I uninstalled and
reinstalled the display drivers and checked the setting under
Preferences/Braille Settings, then chose the appropriate display. Things
still are not working. did I miss something?

Pauline

Gene

From what I've heard about Windows 10, it is more picky about drivers than earlier versions of Windows.  I'm not a tech and I may be wrong, but I doubt there is a basis to say that Windows 8 or 8.1 drivers should work in theory.

Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using Freedom Scientific Braille Display in Windows 10

Maybe there are spaciffic drivers for win10 if not win8 or 8.1 drivers
should work in theory.

On 8/03/2017 3:58 p.m., Pauline Smith wrote:
> Good Evening,
>

> Since the upgrade to Windows 10, I haven't been able to use the computer
> with the FS braill display I am borrowing.  I uninstalled and
> reinstalled the display drivers and checked the setting under
> Preferences/Braille Settings, then chose the appropriate display. Things
> still are not working.  did I miss something?
>

> Pauline

Pauline Smith

I suspected that the upgrade may be the reason.  That is why I uninstalled then reinstalled the device drivers.  The FS website didn't specify a Windows version with the link to the drivers.

Pauline

On 3/7/2017 10:26 PM, Gene wrote:
From what I've heard about Windows 10, it is more picky about drivers than earlier versions of Windows.  I'm not a tech and I may be wrong, but I doubt there is a basis to say that Windows 8 or 8.1 drivers should work in theory.

Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:12 PM

Maybe there are spaciffic drivers for win10 if not win8 or 8.1 drivers
should work in theory.

On 8/03/2017 3:58 p.m., Pauline Smith wrote:
> Good Evening,
>

> Since the upgrade to Windows 10, I haven't been able to use the computer
> with the FS braill display I am borrowing.  I uninstalled and
> reinstalled the display drivers and checked the setting under
> Preferences/Braille Settings, then chose the appropriate display. Things
> still are not working.  did I miss something?
>

> Pauline

Mallard

Hello,

I'm usinga PacMate 40 display from Freedom Scientific, and had no problems upgrading to Windows 10.

I have the driver in my Dropbox, should anyone need it.

Ask, and I'll shaer the link.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 04:26, Gene ha scritto:
From what I've heard about Windows 10, it is more picky about drivers than earlier versions of Windows. I'm not a tech and I may be wrong, but I doubt there is a basis to say that Windows 8 or 8.1 drivers should work in theory.
Maybe there are spaciffic drivers for win10 if not win8 or 8.1 drivers
should work in theory.

On 8/03/2017 3:58 p.m., Pauline Smith wrote:
Good Evening,

Since the upgrade to Windows 10, I haven't been able to use the computer
with the FS braill display I am borrowing. I uninstalled and
reinstalled the display drivers and checked the setting under
Preferences/Braille Settings, then chose the appropriate display. Things
still are not working. did I miss something?

Pauline

Ben J. Bloomgren

Yes, please do send that link. That would be stellar!

Ben

On 3/7/2017 20:42, Pauline Smith wrote:

I suspected that the upgrade may be the reason.  That is why I uninstalled then reinstalled the device drivers.  The FS website didn't specify a Windows version with the link to the drivers.

Pauline

On 3/7/2017 10:26 PM, Gene wrote:
From what I've heard about Windows 10, it is more picky about drivers than earlier versions of Windows.  I'm not a tech and I may be wrong, but I doubt there is a basis to say that Windows 8 or 8.1 drivers should work in theory.

Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:12 PM

Maybe there are spaciffic drivers for win10 if not win8 or 8.1 drivers
should work in theory.

On 8/03/2017 3:58 p.m., Pauline Smith wrote:
> Good Evening,
>

> Since the upgrade to Windows 10, I haven't been able to use the computer
> with the FS braill display I am borrowing.  I uninstalled and
> reinstalled the display drivers and checked the setting under
> Preferences/Braille Settings, then chose the appropriate display. Things
> still are not working.  did I miss something?
>

> Pauline

Mallard

Hello Ben and all,

Here you go:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3918790/FocusBlueDriver1.0.2030.exe

I upgraded straight from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and experienced no issues with my pm 40, so I hope it works for you too.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 10:32, Ben J. Bloomgren ha scritto:

Yes, please do send that link. That would be stellar!

Ben

On 3/7/2017 20:42, Pauline Smith wrote:

I suspected that the upgrade may be the reason. That is why I uninstalled then reinstalled the device drivers. The FS website didn't specify a Windows version with the link to the drivers.

Pauline

On 3/7/2017 10:26 PM, Gene wrote:
From what I've heard about Windows 10, it is more picky about drivers than earlier versions of Windows. I'm not a tech and I may be wrong, but I doubt there is a basis to say that Windows 8 or 8.1 drivers should work in theory.
Maybe there are spaciffic drivers for win10 if not win8 or 8.1 drivers
should work in theory.

On 8/03/2017 3:58 p.m., Pauline Smith wrote:
Good Evening,

Since the upgrade to Windows 10, I haven't been able to use the
computer
with the FS braill display I am borrowing. I uninstalled and
reinstalled the display drivers and checked the setting under
Preferences/Braille Settings, then chose the appropriate display.
Things
still are not working. did I miss something?

Pauline

What display specifically are you using? If you're using one of the original Pacmate or Pacmate Omni displays, it's not gonna work. At least, I! can't get it to work. Trust me. I tried billions of times!

Honestly, that's one of the only very very few things keeping me from using NVDA full time. That, and, same goes with my big Alva Satelite 80. God would I love to use that thing on Windows 10! The drivers have been totally deprecated though as far as I can see. I had this discussion on the list a while back, but no one really seemed to know how to get either of my displays up and running with NVDA.

I can get the Alva working in JFW as long as I'm on Windows XP 32 bit, but with NVDA, regardless the architect, or version of Windows, forget it. Yeah, I tried with BRLTTY, and with LibBrl, I think it's called, but neither work. Keep in mind, I don't have a power cord for my Alva as I got it used, and this machine I'm running it on doesn't have a serial port, so I'm having to bus power it via USB.

I'm veering way off from the initial topic at hand, so I'll further refrane, but my point is, I can't get the Alva to work at all, and as far as FS displays go, unless it's a newer display like a Focus, or a Focus Blue, I don't think it's gonna work, at least not without you putting up a fight.

Now, that said, if anyone knows a trick in Win10 Home 64 bit to get even just via USB, the original PM20 or PM40, in my case the 20, to work with NVDA, please, I beg of you, give me step by step directions. I'd kill! to get that thing working!

Chris.

I! Totally! second Ben on this!

Chris.

---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:12 PM

Maybe there are spaciffic drivers for win10 if not win8 or 8.1 drivers
should work in theory.

On 8/03/2017 3:58 p.m., Pauline Smith wrote:
> Good Evening,
>

> Since the upgrade to Windows 10, I haven't been able to use the computer
> with the FS braill display I am borrowing.  I uninstalled and
> reinstalled the display drivers and checked the setting under
> Preferences/Braille Settings, then chose the appropriate display. Things
> still are not working.  did I miss something?
>

> Pauline

Ehh, this is for a Focus Blue, not an original PM, or, does it still work though.

Chris.

---
Christopher Gilland

I upgraded straight from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and experienced no
issues with my pm 40, so I hope it works for you too.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 10:32, Ben J. Bloomgren ha scritto:

> Yes, please do send that link. That would be stellar!
>

> Ben
>

> On 3/7/2017 20:42, Pauline Smith wrote:
>>
>> I suspected that the upgrade may be the reason.  That is why I
>> uninstalled then reinstalled the device drivers.  The FS website
>> didn't specify a Windows version with the link to the drivers.
>>

>> Pauline
>>

>> On 3/7/2017 10:26 PM, Gene wrote:
>>> From what I've heard about Windows 10, it is more picky about
>>> drivers than earlier versions of Windows.  I'm not a tech and I may
>>> be wrong, but I doubt there is a basis to say that Windows 8 or 8.1
>>> drivers should work in theory.
>>> Gene

Ben J. Bloomgren

Chris,

I'm currently using it with my pac mate QX 40 display. It works like a charm. I went into NVDA's preferences and then to braille. In the braille displays area, I hit F until I came upon freedom scientific focus series or something like that, I hit enter after I had installed the driver, and it started working immediately. Needless to say, I am stoked.

On Mar 8, 2017, at 14:05, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:

[...]

It's for both. I'm using it with a pm; never hada focus.

Try it... It works!

Ciao,

Ollie

ps: On a personal note: I'll be forever grateful to you for recommending the Aftershockz heafphones for my smartphone. If you receive all the blessings I and another friend fo mine are sending you, you'll be very, very happy and successful for the rest of your days... (smile)

Il 08/03/2017 22:09, Christopher-Mark Gilland ha scritto:
Ehh, this is for a Focus Blue, not an original PM, or, does it still work though.
Chris.
---
Christopher Gilland
http://www.gshministry.org
(980) 500-9575

I upgraded straight from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and experienced no
issues with my pm 40, so I hope it works for you too.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 10:32, Ben J. Bloomgren ha scritto:

> Yes, please do send that link. That would be stellar!
>

> Ben
>

> On 3/7/2017 20:42, Pauline Smith wrote:
>>
>> I suspected that the upgrade may be the reason. That is why I
>> uninstalled then reinstalled the device drivers. The FS website
>> didn't specify a Windows version with the link to the drivers.
>>

>> Pauline
>>

>> On 3/7/2017 10:26 PM, Gene wrote:
>>> From what I've heard about Windows 10, it is more picky about
>>> drivers than earlier versions of Windows. I'm not a tech and
I may
>>> be wrong, but I doubt there is a basis to say that Windows 8
or 8.1
>>> drivers should work in theory.
>>> Gene

Mallard

chris, I have a pm 40, firmware version 3.70. Let me know if you manage to make it work for you.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 22:05, Christopher-Mark Gilland ha scritto:
[...]

I did. You are an absolute lifesaver! It worked like a dream! I guess the drivers are not natively included in Windows 10 like they are for some displays.

Now, if anyone's got a Win10 64 bit USB driver for the Alva Satelite 584 Pro, I think it is? That would be incredible!
---
Christopher Gilland

It's for both. I'm using it with a pm; never hada focus.

Try it... It works!

Ciao,

Ollie

ps: On a personal note: I'll be forever grateful to you for recommending
the Aftershockz heafphones for my smartphone. If you receive all the
blessings I and another friend fo mine are sending you, you'll be very,
very happy and successful for the rest of your days... (smile)

Il 08/03/2017 22:09, Christopher-Mark Gilland ha scritto:
> Ehh, this is for a Focus Blue, not an original PM, or, does it still
> work though.
> Chris.
> ---
> Christopher Gilland
> Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
> http://www.gshministry.org
> (980) 500-9575

Malard,

Yup, same version number here.

BTW, would you please get with me off list? I have a few questions which wouldn't be quite suited topic for this list, that you absolutely might could help me with.

My address is:

Thanks.
---
Christopher Gilland

chris, I have a pm 40, firmware version 3.70. Let me know if you manage
to make it work for you.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 22:05, Christopher-Mark Gilland ha scritto:
> What display specifically are you using? If you're using one of the
> original Pacmate or Pacmate Omni displays, it's not gonna work. At
> least, I! can't get it to work. Trust me. I tried billions of times!
> Honestly, that's one of the only very very few things keeping me from
> using NVDA full time. That, and, same goes with my big Alva Satelite
> 80. God would I love to use that thing on Windows 10! The drivers have
> been totally deprecated though as far as I can see. I had this
> discussion on the list a while back, but no one really seemed to know
> how to get either of my displays up and running with NVDA.
> I can get the Alva working in JFW as long as I'm on Windows XP 32 bit,
> but with NVDA, regardless the architect, or version of Windows, forget
> it. Yeah, I tried with BRLTTY, and with LibBrl, I think it's called,
> but neither work. Keep in mind, I don't have a power cord for my Alva
> as I got it used, and this machine I'm running it on doesn't have a
> serial port, so I'm having to bus power it via USB.
> I'm veering way off from the initial topic at hand, so I'll further
> refrane, but my point is, I can't get the Alva to work at all, and as
> far as FS displays go, unless it's a newer display like a Focus, or a
> Focus Blue, I don't think it's gonna work, at least not without you
> putting up a fight.
> Now, that said, if anyone knows a trick in Win10 Home 64 bit to get
> even just via USB, the original PM20 or PM40, in my case the 20, to
> work with NVDA, please, I beg of you, give me step by step directions.
> I'd kill! to get that thing working!
> Chris.

Pauline Smith

Good Evening,

I'm glad you are able to use your display with Win 10. The display I'm borrowoing is also a Pac Mate one. It still doesn't show up. Wonder if I missed something in the settings.

Pauline

On 3/8/2017 4:06 AM, Mallard wrote:
Hello,

I'm usinga PacMate 40 display from Freedom Scientific, and had no problems upgrading to Windows 10.

I have the driver in my Dropbox, should anyone need it.

Ask, and I'll shaer the link.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 04:26, Gene ha scritto:
From what I've heard about Windows 10, it is more picky about drivers than earlier versions of Windows. I'm not a tech and I may be wrong, but I doubt there is a basis to say that Windows 8 or 8.1 drivers should work in theory.
Maybe there are spaciffic drivers for win10 if not win8 or 8.1 drivers
should work in theory.

On 8/03/2017 3:58 p.m., Pauline Smith wrote:
Good Evening,

Since the upgrade to Windows 10, I haven't been able to use the
computer
with the FS braill display I am borrowing. I uninstalled and
reinstalled the display drivers and checked the setting under
Preferences/Braille Settings, then chose the appropriate display.
Things
still are not working. did I miss something?

Pauline

Mallard

Pauline,

Which setting? If it's the NVDA Braille settings, you don't find Pac Mate, but Freedom Scientific.

hth, ciao,

Ollie

Il 09/03/2017 03:10, Pauline Smith ha scritto:
Good Evening,

I'm glad you are able to use your display with Win 10. The display I'm borrowoing is also a Pac Mate one. It still doesn't show up. Wonder if I missed something in the settings.

Pauline

On 3/8/2017 4:06 AM, Mallard wrote:
Hello,

I'm usinga PacMate 40 display from Freedom Scientific, and had no problems upgrading to Windows 10.

I have the driver in my Dropbox, should anyone need it.

Ask, and I'll shaer the link.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 04:26, Gene ha scritto: