New User Intro and a Couple Questions

David F.

Hello, Gene:

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I take your point. Either hear enter and all those arrow commands, or learn to not hear enter.

To answer your questions, I was using Malware Bits.

My problems began in November. I had nearly filled my computer’s hard drive and everything started acting up.  So, I arranged to have an external drive in place. I moved over 400 gig of books to it.  I thought that would solve the problem of the stuttering, jerking, and long delays in commands executing.  But it did not.

I then had everything reinstalled on my computer. Quite a tedious process.  That did help for 2 months then everything started acting up again.

To answer your other questions below:

Are you in the message list and are you down arrowing?

Yes, I am down arrowing.  I can tell if a message has been read or not read, but I cannot tell if I have replied or forwarded. The last message, which as I have my software set, is the most recent message, repeats and repeats. So if someone has sent me several messages with the same subject line, I can wonder exactly how many messages I am reading.

What program are you using spell check in?

MS-Outlook. I cannot edit my words either.  Using the arrow keys just says carriage return. Usually, the suggested correction is the right one, but for things such as, ofa, for of a, the suggestion of “of” and no “a” is not correct.

What e-mail program are you using?  When you hear the subject repeated, what are you doing?  Are you down arrowing through the message lis or something else?

Ms-Outlook. I think I answered above. But let me know if I am not clear.

Thanks again.

If the other screen-reader used to work properly and doesn't now, that should be discussed more.  I'm not discouraging you from using NVDA, I'm saying that you may be covering up a problem such as malware and not solving it.  Whatever screen-reader you use, there may be an underlying problem that should be looked into.  Is the stuttering problem a recent one and did the screen-reader work properly before?  What antimalware programs are you using.  Is there any other sign of problems such as slower performance?

As for the enter question, the only way to hear enter spoken is to use a setting that not only announces enter, but announces other keys every time they are pressed such as left and right arrow.  I'm confident you will get used to not hearing enter spoken but I'm also confident that you don't want to hear left arrow, right arrow and up and down arrow every time you use them as well as other key combinations you will hear.  If you want to play with the command to toggle this feature on and off, it's NVDA key 4 on the main keyboard.  If you are using the desktop keyboard layout, the NVDA key is either insert.