Topics

Kindle instructions in NVDA help

Jacob Kruger

While have only ever purchased 3 kindle books - only books that couldn't find electronic formats for anywhere else, I did just get hold of a new one, and, installed kindle for PC 1.19.460 just to try it out under windows 10 64 bit, although have already downloaded it to my android phone, where it seems pretty readable along with using talkback.

The only reason looked for this book was when I realised that this version of kindle for PC should be relatively accessible along with NVDA 2017.1, but, I presume this specific book doesn't offer/allow enhanced typesetting, which requirement is sort of mentioned in NVDA help with regards to using browse mode to read a kindle eBook.

That's since while am in what I think is the reading area - announced as border - NVDA reading/navigation commands don't do anything, but, something that might be good to mention in NVDA's help on the kindle topic is that the general kindle navigation commands, like page up, page down, arrow left and right still seem to carry out functionality, and, I know this since pressing space bar while in that piece of the interface does in fact toggle SAPI voice reading of the book, using the default SAPI voice for windows 10.

In other words, while can't use NVDA's browse mode to read this book on my PC, it seems like it's still perfectly possible to just read the book, since NVDA does otherwise handle the interface pretty well.

So, just thought would mention this here.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

you have gotten way further than I have.

I cannot even get the registration dialogue to read, to sign into my Amazon account. yes. I made absolutely certain that I had the version with the accessibility plugged in. once the registration screen comes up, I'm placed on a combo box that says the fall, although it is not labeled. so I am not sure what I am picking as the default. If I press the tab key, absolutely nothing at all happens. NVDA says absolutely nothing at all. Same goes if I shift tab.

I had a friend try, and they had the same exact problem. This is also occurring with jaws. so I'm completely clueless as to what is going on.
how is one supposed to navigate that dialogue, and get signed into your Amazon account?

Chris.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 8, 2017, at 09:35, Jacob Kruger <jacob@blindza.co.za> wrote:

[...]

Mallard

Hello Jacob,

I suppose it depends on the format of the book. Amazon is changing its format and, if that's abook still in the old format, not all the features for reading/navigating it with NVDA will be available.

I can't be more precise, simply because I don't know which books are readable, and which are not. I ahve loads of Kindle ebooks, and only a few of them are readable, even with braille, in NVDA. Not even the latest ones... So, what makes the difference I can't really tell exactly.

Not very helpful, I realise, but that's my experience...

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 15:35, Jacob Kruger ha scritto:
[...]

chris,

Have you tried with Screen review or ObjectNavigation?

And, alternatively, have you tried using the OCR add-on?

I know I did it long ago, but I don't remember how. It must have been at least three years ago, and I thought accessibility of that part had improved meanwhile... Sad to hear it hasn't.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 16:33, Christopher-Mark Gilland ha scritto:
[...]

I used tab and shift tab a bit, but, also NVDA's object navigation a bit, to eventually find the e-mail address and password fields, and, when I was focused on one of them, I used the NVDa key + numpad enter to activate input on them - enter key might also have worked, but, not sure.

Once one of them has proper focus, I was then able to tab around input elements, and, I just left the drop-down on default FWIW.

Biggest issue was that it seemed to want me to enter an audio captcha code, and, it took a couple of restarts to get that right since while chrome is my default browser, and, while it would play the somewhat garbled audio clip to me, if I told it to give me a new one, it would also, sometimes tell me that my browser didn't support it, although it had just played a bit of audio to me.

So, no, it wasn't smooth, or perfect getting to the point where I could access the purchased books, but, I managed to fiddle around for not too long to get there.

The android implementation seems pretty usable, FWIW, if not perfect in comparison to some of the other eBook reading software I use for other formats, but anyway.

Stay well, and, good luck.

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2017-03-08 17:33, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:
[...]

Ollie, no worries - that's what meant when said it's probably not matching the format that NVDA can really work with in terms of content navigation.

As in, again, just thought they could maybe mention that otherwise, space bar might still be useful in terms of toggling SAPI voice reading?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2017-03-08 17:48, Mallard wrote:
Hello Jacob,

[...]

Jacques <lists4js@...>

That screen sure is a dog. Speaking from memory, the control with focus on
that screen is where you select your region. Tabbing once lands you on the
edit control where your registered e-mail address is filled in. The next tab
is for the password, after which enter should complete the process. Ollie is
right, the OCR add-on is what got me passed the registration the first time
I had to figure it out.

Jacques

[...]

I've not tried the OCR addon. I have it, but never had had a need to use it, and honestly, I don't know how, sadly. I'm incredibly savvy though, so if you either can give me the basics, or can at least point me to where to find documentation, that should suffice.

Yes, I did try object navigation review, as well as just regular cursor review mode to no avale. That said, I'll grantcha, that was an excellent thought to try.

Chris.
---
Christopher Gilland

> [...]

>> In other words, while can't use NVDA's browse mode to read this book on my PC, it seems like it's still perfectly possible to just read the book, since NVDA does otherwise handle the interface pretty well.
>>

>> So, just thought would mention this here.
>>

>> Stay well
>>

>> Jacob Kruger
>>
>> Blind Biker
>> Skype: BlindZA
>> "Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."

Yeah, no, what you said tabbing, typing e-mail, tabbing typing password, then pressing enter isn't working.

If you all can point me where to go to learn more about the OCR addon, I'll be more than happy to give it a shot.
---
Christopher Gilland

Il 08/03/2017 21:54, Christopher-Mark Gilland ha scritto:
Yeah, no, what you said tabbing, typing e-mail, tabbing typing password, then pressing enter isn't working.
If you all can point me where to go to learn more about the OCR addon, I'll be more than happy to give it a shot.
---
Christopher Gilland
http://www.gshministry.org
(980) 500-9575

<mailto:jacob@blindza.co.za>> wrote:

>> While have only ever purchased 3 kindle books - only books that
couldn't
find electronic formats for anywhere else, I did just get hold of
a new one,
and, installed kindle for PC 1.19.460 just to try it out under
windows 10 64
bit, although have already downloaded it to my android phone,
where it seems
pretty readable along with using talkback.

>> The only reason looked for this book was when I realised that this
version of kindle for PC should be relatively accessible along
with NVDA
2017.1, but, I presume this specific book doesn't offer/allow enhanced
typesetting, which requirement is sort of mentioned in NVDA help with
regards to using browse mode to read a kindle eBook.

>> That's since while am in what I think is the reading area -
announced as
border - NVDA reading/navigation commands don't do anything, but,
something
that might be good to mention in NVDA's help on the kindle topic
is that the
general kindle navigation commands, like page up, page down, arrow
left and
right still seem to carry out functionality, and, I know this
since pressing
space bar while in that piece of the interface does in fact toggle
SAPI
voice reading of the book, using the default SAPI voice for
windows 10.

>> In other words, while can't use NVDA's browse mode to read this
book on
my PC, it seems like it's still perfectly possible to just read
the book,
since NVDA does otherwise handle the interface pretty well.

>> So, just thought would mention this here.
>>

>> Stay well
>>

>> Jacob Kruger
>>
>> Blind Biker
>> Skype: BlindZA
>> "Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."

Jacob Kruger

I generally first switch to screen review mode, NVDA key + R to launch OCR process, wich will then announce when it's done, and, I generally then use shift + numpad 7 to move screen review mode cursor to top of screen before then using numpad 7 and 9 to scan the different result lines, followed by numpad 4 and 6 to move through words, etc. etc.

HTH

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

> [...]

>> In other words, while can't use NVDA's browse mode to read this book on my PC, it seems like it's still perfectly possible to just read the book, since NVDA does otherwise handle the interface pretty well.
>>

>> So, just thought would mention this here.
>>

>> Stay well
>>

>> Jacob Kruger
>>
>> Blind Biker
>> Skype: BlindZA
>> "Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."

Thanks, Ollie. It's greatly appreciated.
---
Christopher Gilland

Il 08/03/2017 21:54, Christopher-Mark Gilland ha scritto:
> Yeah, no, what you said tabbing, typing e-mail, tabbing typing
> password, then pressing enter isn't working.
> If you all can point me where to go to learn more about the OCR addon,
> I'll be more than happy to give it a shot.
> ---
> Christopher Gilland
> Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
> http://www.gshministry.org
> (980) 500-9575

That's perfect. Exactly what I needed. Thanks.
---
Christopher Gilland

> [...]

>> In other words, while can't use NVDA's browse mode to read this book on my PC, it seems like it's still perfectly possible to just read the book, since NVDA does otherwise handle the interface pretty well.
>>

>> So, just thought would mention this here.
>>

>> Stay well
>>

>> Jacob Kruger
>>
>> Blind Biker
>> Skype: BlindZA
>> "Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."

As said, it was from memory, intended merely as pointers, not exact steps. Sorry if it didnt work for you, but as confirmed by others here, it can be done with some level of nenacity.