Eloquence delay after launching NVDA.

Darrell Shandrow Hilliker

Hello Everyone,

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

David Griffith

Yes I have had this issue of extreme delayed start up along with the additional issue of NVDA and eloquence freezing in large  File Explorer windows.

This does not happen with the  illegal versions of Eloquence which is disappointing from a a Code Factory quality point of view.

I managed to improve matters  to some degree by going into the Sound Properties in Windows Control Panel, selecting my default sound device and turning off all the fancy affects like surround sound and just selecting just basic stereo as my output format.

This has had the affect of slightly diminishing the funkier music output from my PC but I am not now waiting upt to a minute  or more for NVDA to load.

I still get the problem of NVDA not responding with large file explorer windows  but what I have learnt is that if you turn Narrator on with Windows Enter temporarily you can navigate your file lists fine until NVDA wakes up and starts responding again. I just turn Narrator off when NVDA finally catches up.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

matthew dyer

Hi,

Using jfw 18 with elequence, I have this problem sop I don't think this is an NVDA problem.  JMT.

Matthew

[...]

Arlene

Oh! do you think it’s a synth problem? That eloquence is used in NVDA and Jaws.

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

David Griffith

I am sorry you have problems with Jaws also. Jaws 18 is fine for me at this end.

There is a known issue with Code Factory Eloquence  with NVDA.

I have seen several complaints from NVDA users on other lists than this which complain of the extreme delay with NVDA loading with Code Factory Eloquence. This caused some to recommend using the illegal NVDA Eloquence addon  as an alternative which drew an angry response from the person retailing Code Factory Eloquence in this country.

If was from this person retailing the Code Factory product in this country that I learnt the tip of amending sound properties in the Control Panel  as a partial  solution to the slow loading. He in turn had got this advice from Code Factry as I understand it.

Presumably as not all people have the same configurations in their Sound Control Panel applet  the  experience of people experiencing this delay may well vary.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

Simon Jaeger

The way I see it, code factory's eloquence uses the same Eloquence DLL with the same product; it just does it in a more hacky and less reliable way. So if you pay for code factory Eloquence, you've legally licensed your copy; and if you use the unofficial Eloquence, you have stability and you can honestly say you've paid for it. I'm sure that's not how the law sees it, but it's just  my thoughts. I personally find that the code factory one is less reliable as well.

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

Arlene

It also depends on your system as well. I hope I’m wrong!  For some Elequence may respond quickly while for some it’s slow to respond!  I have it in jaws 14 and I use E speak for NVDA.  Now, Mind you I don’t have Jaws 18 but if it responds no problem then you may have a good system.  I could be lying!

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

Isaac <bigikemusic@...>

just remove all of the files related to eloquence in the codefactory addon, and use the you know the other one

The way I see it, code factory's eloquence uses the same Eloquence DLL with the same product; it just does it in a more hacky and less reliable way. So if you pay for code factory Eloquence, you've legally licensed your copy; and if you use the unofficial Eloquence, you have stability and you can honestly say you've paid for it. I'm sure that's not how the law sees it, but it's just  my thoughts. I personally find that the code factory one is less reliable as well.

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I was under the impression that embedded eloquence in Jaws is not able to be used outside, so you need to have one of the two, I think legal versions for nvda.
as an aside and this is not recommended, the old sappi 4 version distributed as via voice out loud with the old ibm home page reader, seems to be actually very reliable. I really cannot take Eloquence though as I find its lisp very annoying after a while!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

It also depends on your system as well. I hope I’m wrong! For some Elequence may respond quickly while for some it’s slow to respond! I have it in jaws 14 and I use E speak for NVDA. Now, Mind you I don’t have Jaws 18 but if it responds no problem then you may have a good system. I could be lying!

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

That does not solve the issue though. In the main, most of the older hacks were just that, hacks and cause instability.
[...]

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

If your having problems with the code factory eloquence I would contact them and maybe make a recording so they know what the exact problem is.

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s
Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved
this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

David Griffith

It is a long thread so my initial fix may have got lost.

I did contact the Code Factory Retailer and the advice is to simplify your sound card properties in Control Panel , that is remove special affects like surround sound or other themes and just rely on basic stereo output.

It is not perfect but it definitely improve matters.

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>  for Windows

10

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s

Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved

this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

Gene

As I've said before, you are describing the Brittish voice.  That voice has unpleasant characteristics.  The American voice doesn't have the characteristics you are discussing.

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s
Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved
this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

Gene

%The problem has already been described as a slow start of Eloquence on boot up.  No recording is useful unless there are other problems that haven't been described and that can't be adequately described in words.  Unresponsiveness can easily be described in words as well.

If your having problems with the code factory eloquence I would contact them and maybe make a recording so they know  what the exact problem is.

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s
Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved
this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

To me it does. It sounds like its got a bad case of dodgy adenoids, but I'm not here to slag off voices, we all have our favourites, as indeed it should be. I was merely suggesting why I could not be that bothered by the issue.
I'm still not convinced this issue is an nvda one either. some synths just give troubles for reasons unknown.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

As I've said before, you are describing the Brittish voice. That voice has unpleasant characteristics. The American voice doesn't have the characteristics you are discussing.

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s
Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved
this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

Gene

The voice characteristics aren't related to NVDA.  If reading slowly or at the default voice, in Eloquence and Via Voice, which both have identical voices, the American voice has a slightly unpleasant quality but it doesn't have the characteristics you describe.  the Brittish voice sounds like a foreigner trying to immitate a Brittish accent and I consider it to be a rather ludicrous implementation.

Having said that, I'm not sure the SAPI Via Voice is stable in Windows 10.  it isn't when I tried it in Windows 7.

As I've said before, you are describing the Brittish voice.  That voice has
unpleasant characteristics.  The American voice doesn't have the
characteristics you are discussing.

I am experiencing a significant delay after launching NVDA with Code Factory’s
Eloquence implementation selected as the speech synthesizer.

I am running on Windows 10.

Does anyone else experience this issue and, if so, what steps have resolved
this issue?

Thanks,

Darrell

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

I have the sappy5 version of eloquence and I don’t notice this when using nvda.