From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Judy Jones
Sent: March-12-17 8:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Using NVDA from a thumb drive?

Greetings,

I am new to the list, and somewhat familiar with NVDA and love it.  Question:  Is there a way to use NVDA from a thumbdrive, for instance, would I be able to use it on whatever computer I am assigned to, as long as I bring my thumb drive with me?  How does that work?

I have been a Jaws user for almost 20 years, hard to believe, but hope NVDA has the portability I would need.  Thanks for any instructions and advice.

Judy

Gene

There is more than one way to make a portable copy of NVDA.  Here is one way.  I am assuming that NVDA is already installed on your machine.

Major new steps start on new lines.

First, create a folder in which you want to install NVDA.
Then, while NVDA is running, open the NvDA menu with NVDA key n.
Down arrow to tools.
Press enter.  You are now in a submenu.
Down arrow to create portable copy and press enter.
You are now in a dialog.
Tab to the browse button and press enter.
If you don't know how to work with the dialog you are now in, ask here.
Open the folder you have created to place NVDA in.
Then continue to make the portable copy.  Look around the dialog and if you have questions, ask here.
Once yu have made the portable copy, copy the folder you created onto the thumb drive.
Or cut it to the thumb drive, whichever you wish.
To run NVDA from the thumb drive, connect the thumb drive to the machine you want to run it on.  Have Narrator running before you connect the thumb drive.  If you don't know how to run Narrator, ask here.
Once Narrator is running, find the folder that contains NVDA on the thumb drive.  Open the folder.
Look for NVDA.exe and press enter.  You will probably just here nvda but not exe.
NVDA will run.  I don't know if you will be asked anything first such as if you want to run the file.  I don't think so.
Then close Narrator.  It will cause no problem to have NVDA and Narrator running simultaneously so close Narrator and continue running NVDA.

I am new to the list, and somewhat familiar with NVDA and love it.  Question:  Is there a way to use NVDA from a thumbdrive, for instance, would I be able to use it on whatever computer I am assigned to, as long as I bring my thumb drive with me?  How does that work?

I have been a Jaws user for almost 20 years, hard to believe, but hope NVDA has the portability I would need.  Thanks for any instructions and advice.

Judy

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Judy

I guess it depends whic way you start NVDA from the thumb drive and on which operating system.

The older xp system i think it was you could plug it in and a auto play menu would come up with start nVDA but in later versions this was stopped.

it also depends if you done it on a CD if the auto play menu was enabled or not.

I do have some different ways on my website along with any extra files that might be needed. The extra files were more for the auto play menu part of windows.

The steps were either done using a Windows 7 machine and i think on windows 10 as well.

the link to the pages where the audio or written tutorials are can be found at http://accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20audio%20tutorials.html

You can jump down by heading to the portable tutorials. there are a few different ones to pick from.

I like the one where you name the usb stick qqq then make a folder on the usb stick called nvda then have all the files put into it.

if you get stuff on a new machine you can always bring up narrator to start your copy of nvda as well.

I am so used to starting a computer without narrator i have got used to it.

Any how have a sus and look for the ones that say portable.

They are easy to follow.

hope they help.

Gene nz

On 13/03/2017 4:08 PM, Judy Jones wrote:

Greetings,

I am new to the list, and somewhat familiar with NVDA and love it.  Question:  Is there a way to use NVDA from a thumbdrive, for instance, would I be able to use it on whatever computer I am assigned to, as long as I bring my thumb drive with me?  How does that work?

I have been a Jaws user for almost 20 years, hard to believe, but hope NVDA has the portability I would need.  Thanks for any instructions and advice.

Judy

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

It will depend also how you start narrator in earlier versions of Windows to. there were a couple of different ways to start it depending on the windows version but using the Windows key + letter R then typing in narrator then pressing the enter key would usually do it.

I think in xp, vista etc you could do it this way.

If not then in xp and i think vista it was the windows key + letter U then the ALT key + letter N

Later on i think in 7 and up it was the windows key + the enter key to start narrator.

I think the directions are up there on the web site any how i would have to check to be sure.

Gene nz

On 13/03/2017 4:08 PM, Judy Jones wrote:

Greetings,

I am new to the list, and somewhat familiar with NVDA and love it.  Question:  Is there a way to use NVDA from a thumbdrive, for instance, would I be able to use it on whatever computer I am assigned to, as long as I bring my thumb drive with me?  How does that work?

I have been a Jaws user for almost 20 years, hard to believe, but hope NVDA has the portability I would need.  Thanks for any instructions and advice.

Judy

In any version of Windows, as far as I know, you can hold the Windows key and type r.  then wait a moment and type narrator and press enter.

Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2017 11:38 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using NVDA from a thumb drive?

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'll let others put up the way they do this, but do beware.
If the machine you are using the temp version on is running windows 10, there are a lot of things that won't read any more that did in windows xp and 7. It seems the paranoid security folk have made it very hard to get at some accessibility apis from a program not being run as an admin.
I notice for example some bits of windows just do not work, and ccleaner loses its list of problems etc.
I was very disappointed in this, as it seems that Microsoft have made everyone use Narrator on 10 if its not your computer.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I am new to the list, and somewhat familiar with NVDA and love it.
Question: Is there a way to use NVDA from a thumbdrive, for instance, would
I be able to use it on whatever computer I am assigned to, as long as I
bring my thumb drive with me? How does that work?

I have been a Jaws user for almost 20 years, hard to believe, but hope NVDA
has the portability I would need. Thanks for any instructions and advice.

Judy

Judy Jones

Thanks! I am keeping these instructions, and they do make sense.

Judy
sent from the U2 Mini

There is more than one way to make a portable copy of NVDA. Here is one way. I am assuming that NVDA is already installed on your machine.

Major new steps start on new lines.

First, create a folder in which you want to install NVDA.
Then, while NVDA is running, open the NvDA menu with NVDA key not.
[...]

_dis_ea_dd_ea_

Groups.io Links:
View/Reply Online (#16168) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

NVDA on groups.io

Get NVDA from: http://www.nvaccess.org/
http://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Other links:
Get NVDA add-ons at:
http://addons.nvda-project.org/
NVDA on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515
Get SkypeTalking for NVDA:
http://skypetalking.googlecode.com/
Change Your Subscription
Group Home
Contact Group Owner
Terms Of Service
Unsubscribe From This Group

_dis_ea_dd_ea_

Judy Jones

Thank you very much!

Judy
sent from the U2 Mini

[...]

-
_dis_ea_dd_ea_

Groups.io Links:
View/Reply Online (#16169) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

NVDA on groups.io

Get NVDA from: http://www.nvaccess.org/
http://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Other links:
Get NVDA add-ons at:
http://addons.nvda-project.org/
NVDA on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515
Get SkypeTalking for NVDA:
http://skypetalking.googlecode.com/
Change Your Subscription
Group Home
Contact Group Owner
Terms Of Service
Unsubscribe From This Group

_dis_ea_dd_ea_th

Judy Jones

Hi,

I'm talking about Windows 10 machines, and the windows-key R then typing in the word Narrator wbring it up.

Judy
sent from the U2 Mini

[...]

View/Reply Online (#16170) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

NVDA on groups.io

Get NVDA from: http://www.nvaccess.org/
http://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Other links:
Get NVDA add-ons at:
http://addons.nvda-project.org/
NVDA on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515
Get SkypeTalking for NVDA:
http://skypetalking.googlecode.com/
Change Your Subscription
Group Home
Contact Group Owner
Terms Of Service
Unsubscribe From This Group

_dis_ea_dd_ea_

Judy Jones

That is way too bad, as narrator doesn't even compare! That would be one thing if it were NVDA or Jaws quality.

Judy
sent from the U2 Mini

I am new to the list, and somewhat familiar with NVDA and love it.
Question: Is there a way to use NVDA from a thumbdrive, for instance,
would
I be able to use it on whatever computer I am assigned to, as long as I
bring my thumb drive with me? How does that work?

I have been a Jaws user for almost 20 years, hard to believe, but hope
NVDA
has the portability I would need. Thanks for any instructions and advice.

Judy

com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#16182): https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/16182
View All Messages In Topic (7): https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/4524732
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/4524732?uid=293821
New Topic: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/post
com=-=-
NVDA on groups.io

Get NVDA from: http://www.nvaccess.org/
http://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Other links:
Get NVDA add-ons at:
http://addons.nvda-project.org/
NVDA on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515
Get SkypeTalking for NVDA:
http://skypetalking.googlecode.com/
com=-=-
Change Your Subscription: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/editsub?uid=293821
Group Home: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Contact Group Owner: nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io
com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

slery <slerythema@...>

Thanks for these detailed steps.

Can you explain how to run narrator? I think it is windows key something.

Cindy

I am new to the list, and somewhat familiar with NVDA and love it.  Question:  Is there a way to use NVDA from a thumbdrive, for instance, would I be able to use it on whatever computer I am assigned to, as long as I bring my thumb drive with me?  How does that work?

I have been a Jaws user for almost 20 years, hard to believe, but hope NVDA has the portability I would need.  Thanks for any instructions and advice.

Judy

Gene

There is a command to run it in Windows 10 but someone can discuss that.  I don't use Windows 10 and the command may have changed.  But in all versions of Windows, this method will work:
Press and hold the Windows key.  While doing so type the letter r.  Then after waiting a moment, type narrator and press enter.  Narrator will run.

Can you explain how to run narrator? I think it is windows key something.

Cindy

I am new to the list, and somewhat familiar with NVDA and love it.  Question:  Is there a way to use NVDA from a thumbdrive, for instance, would I be able to use it on whatever computer I am assigned to, as long as I bring my thumb drive with me?  How does that work?

I have been a Jaws user for almost 20 years, hard to believe, but hope NVDA has the portability I would need.  Thanks for any instructions and advice.

Judy

Mallard

Hello,

You can press Windows+Enter.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 17/03/2017 06:42, Gene ha scritto:
[...]

Chris Mullins

You can use Windows+Ener to start/stop narrator in W10.

Cheers

Chris

[...]

I think I saw a message on this or another list that the command is going to change to alt windows key enter at some time in the future.

> There is a command to run it in Windows 10 but someone can discuss
> that.  I don't use Windows 10 and the command may have changed.  But
> in all versions of Windows, this method will work:
> Press and hold the Windows key.  While doing so type the letter r.
> Then after waiting a moment, type narrator and press enter.  Narrator
> will run.
> Gene

Kevin Cussick

control windows enter.