accessible antivirus

Richard Kuzma

Good afternoon,

I was wondering what you guys are using for an antivirus these days and if they are accessible.

I have been helping other people and getting them avg,

But since they changed their interface to the zen thing it does not seem to be too accessible.

I cant seem to find where to put in the licence key.

Rich

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Roger Stewart

If you're using Win 10, I'd suggest Windows Defender.  Very accessible and free to boot!

Roger

On 3/13/2017 12:42 PM, Richard Kuzma via Groups.Io wrote:

Good afternoon,

I was wondering what you guys are using for an antivirus these days and if they are accessible.

I have been helping other people and getting them avg,

But since they changed their interface to the zen thing it does not seem to be too accessible.

I cant seem to find where to put in the licence key.

Rich

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Chris

Windows defender is already built into windows ten so you don’t need any other anti virus program

And its accessible

Felix G.

Hi!
I use Emsisoft Antimalware. It's fast, scans for potentially unwanted programs (such as adware) in addition to general malware like trojans and worms, and has, to my mind, the best behavior analysis around, spotting backdoors from how they behave even if the file itself is unknown, to provide just one example. This goes far beyond what is usually referred to as detection by heuristics. Accessibility-wise most things I need are in the tab order but I find myself resorting to flat review sometimes.
Greetings,
Felix

Chris <chrismedley@...> schrieb am Mo., 13. März 2017 um 21:25 Uhr:

Windows defender is already built into windows ten so you don’t need any other anti virus program

And its accessible

Ron Canazzi

Hi Felix,

This does notsound like anti virus, but more like anti lamware.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Casey <cwollner@...>

Hi where can you get this Emsisoft Antimalware from?
Also is it free or is there A charge for this program?
And how easy is it to set up and install?
Well it work with Jaws 18 as well?

I use Emsisoft Antimalware. It's fast, scans for potentially unwanted programs (such as adware) in addition to general malware like trojans and worms, and has, to my mind, the best behavior analysis around, spotting backdoors from how they behave even if the file itself is unknown, to provide just one example. This goes far beyond what is usually referred to as detection by heuristics. Accessibility-wise most things I need are in the tab order but I find myself resorting to flat review sometimes.
Greetings,
Felix

Chris <chrismedley@...> schrieb am Mo., 13. März 2017 um 21:25 Uhr:

Windows defender is already built into windows ten so you don’t need any other anti virus program

And its accessible

Casey

Felix G.

Hello,
the program is subscription-based, and there is a free 30 day test period.
It scans for viruses, worms and the like in addition to the wider definition of malware including adware and spyware.
Here is the link: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/?id=14510978
So much in the interest of sharing. I think any follow-ups should be discussed off-list since this is going way off topic and may easily be construed as me running an ad campaign, which I am not. ;)
Kind regards,
Felix

Casey <cwollner@...> schrieb am Di., 14. März 2017 um 14:41 Uhr:

[...]

Michael Capelle <mcapelle@...>

please feel to carry this topic over to the blind tech list.
to join, send a blank messsage to:
blindtech+subscribe@groups.io

I use Emsisoft Antimalware. It's fast, scans for potentially unwanted programs (such as adware) in addition to general malware like trojans and worms, and has, to my mind, the best behavior analysis around, spotting backdoors from how they behave even if the file itself is unknown, to provide just one example. This goes far beyond what is usually referred to as detection by heuristics. Accessibility-wise most things I need are in the tab order but I find myself resorting to flat review sometimes.
Greetings,
Felix

Chris <chrismedley@...> schrieb am Mo., 13. März 2017 um 21:25 Uhr:

Windows defender is already built into windows ten so you don’t need any other anti virus program

And its accessible

Casey

Brenda <bjnite@...>

Plese don't take this conversation off list.

I'm glad you shared this to the list.  It is very valuable to know accessible virus programs.  I don't see how this could be construed as advertising.

I have heard that Caspersky is now accessible once you can get it installed. If you do a google search for accessible virus programs with screen readers, etc, you should come upon an article by David goldfield about this.  After he had issues with Windows Defender not catching viruses he investigated and chose Caspersky.

I'm still hoping for more input from listers on antivirus programs that work well with NVDA and are highly rated in the sighted world or other folks experiences with Caspersky which is a good program.

thanks for sharing.

brenda

On 3/15/2017 4:56 AM, Felix G. wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Lambware, I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere, just to lighten the mood.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Chris <chrismedley@btinternet.com <mailto:chrismedley@btinternet.com>>
schrieb am Mo., 13. März 2017 um 21:25 Uhr:

Windows defender is already built into windows ten so you don’t
need any other anti virus program

And its accessible

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

If you say its accessible though, it would be nice to know and also how much a subscription costs one.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I use Emsisoft Antimalware. It's fast, scans for potentially unwanted
programs (such as adware) in addition to general malware like trojans and
worms, and has, to my mind, the best behavior analysis around, spotting
backdoors from how they behave even if the file itself is unknown, to
provide just one example. This goes far beyond what is usually referred to
as detection by heuristics. Accessibility-wise most things I need are in
the tab order but I find myself resorting to flat review sometimes.
Greetings,
Felix

Chris <chrismedley@btinternet.com> schrieb am Mo., 13. März 2017 um 21:25
Uhr:

Windows defender is already built into windows ten so you don’t need any
other anti virus program

And its accessible

Casey

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think to be fair to Defender/msse there has always to be a few people who get a virus as its a continuous battle between the virus and malware folk and the anti virus software writers.

[...]

Casey <cwollner@wi.rr.com <mailto:cwollner@wi.rr.com>> schrieb am Di.,
14. März 2017 um 14:41 Uhr:

Hi where can you get this Emsisoft Antimalware from?
Also is it free or is there A charge for this program?
And how easy is it to set up and install?
Well it work with Jaws 18 as well?
I use Emsisoft Antimalware. It's fast, scans for potentially
unwanted programs (such as adware) in addition to general malware
like trojans and worms, and has, to my mind, the best behavior
analysis around, spotting backdoors from how they behave even if
the file itself is unknown, to provide just one example. This goes
far beyond what is usually referred to as detection by heuristics.
Accessibility-wise most things I need are in the tab order but I
find myself resorting to flat review sometimes.
Greetings,
Felix
Chris <chrismedley@btinternet.com
<mailto:chrismedley@btinternet.com>> schrieb am Mo., 13. März 2017
um 21:25 Uhr:

Windows defender is already built into windows ten so you
don’t need any other anti virus program

And its accessible

Casey

Sadly I do think some of those malware makers have gotten greedy.
Its why I like msse or a bare bones no frills you get what you see kind of deal.
From avg that seems to collect info to sell to others that load extras so they can send adds at you, to software, slowing your system like norton, to extras you neither want or need.
There is the accessibility issues to mind you to.
Worse are the false alarms.
I have had programs, in one case games that the system had been using for ages but were suddenly malware.
I have heard horror stories with people's screen readers being classified as viruses and all double extention files being classified as viruses.
While thats generally not a problem if you need to use these for say file conversion it can get messy.
The worst one is when bits of windows itself, and or drivers became false alarms.
I have heard stories that people had to reformat because of their security software.
Msse is not that though it did detect a bunch of games as viruses.
It leaves me alone till there is a virus and then it tells me.
After several issues with one of the users on one of the boxes with 10 on, I am seriously thinking about using sophos home.
The main reason ofcause is that its supposed to be full cloud protection and as long as the system is connected I in theory should be able to access the configs from the website which seems accessible enough.
It seems to be no frills.
I am just waiting for win10 next release before I decide.
On the other hand, I may continue using msse, once 7 goes, I will have to go to 10 which uses defender which is supposed to be ok but does sadly have crazy notifications from time to time.
Its going to an app is making me think about the switch though since I will have to handle it on 2 units not under my sophos plan I may or may not just get used to that.
The 2 systems mine and another workstation that use 7 are at least 6 years old or even 7 in the old server's case.
And part of me wants to wait till those die.
Msse is not the best, and as long as sophos doesn't get greedy it may be a contender.
I was going to get vipre lifetime till I heard that you can only activate it once and if you reformat or the hardware fails you need to buy another licence for the machine in question which defeats the purpose of even having a licence for it in the first place may as well use msse.
And no, Even if it was that good, I am not going to crack it simply because the way those that make vipre with comments on their lifetime licence kind of goes against the grain.
It was why I eventually switched to 7zip.
Winzip required me to buy an entirely new licence every time I got a new version.
I thought bother that rather crack it its the way to go.
But when 7zip came along I was like go away and don't ever come back!
If sophos doesn't have unwanted software and doesn't go greedy then I just may push for it.
Its a pitty they don't have a home pro or small business version for lifetime use else I'd buy that.
Fact is after experiences with avira, avg 9, norton, and mcaffee when msse came along I was about ready to just remove all antivirus software.
Avast was also out of the question with capchas in it and other junk.
My thrust of using a barebones is I want it to find viruses and kill them, I want it to tell me in case the file is false and I can easily report or exclude it and report it to the right place.
I do not want slowed down systems, inaccessible interfaces, unwanted software, spying or other things for no reason.
The government spies on us to watch out for bad guys and to make sure we are safe.
I have accepted to that.
But I don't really want hastles.
I also want whatever it is to be long term and not short term like a year or 2 before it dies which was what was happening.
Msse has maintained most of what I want bar its protection but it appears the latest defender is starting to chuck eronious messages and with one of my parents randomly clicking things while thinking they are something else I am looking at sophos again.
As long as its easy to remove devices when they die or if I have to change or replace things when they are needed thats fine.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brenda" <bjnite@windstream.net>

[...]

I mostly agree. The irony is that some of the people who sneak adware onto your drive are exactly those people you trust with the job of protecting you from adware. In that respect I found the following article enlightening:
http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/01/17/has-the-antivirus-industry-gone-mad/
It's old news but even more valid today.
Kind regards,
Felix

Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> schrieb am Do., 16. März 2017 um 11:59 Uhr:

Sadly I do think some of those malware makers have gotten greedy.
Its why I like msse or a bare bones no frills you get what you see kind
of deal.
 From avg that seems to collect info to sell to others that load extras
so they can send adds at you, to software, slowing your system like
norton, to extras you neither want or need.
> [...]
The government spies on us to watch out for bad guys and to make sure we
are safe.
I have accepted to that.
But I don't really want hastles.
I also want whatever it is to be long term and not short term like a
year or 2 before it dies which was what was happening.
Msse has maintained most of what I want   bar its protection but it
appears the latest defender is starting to chuck eronious messages and
with one of my parents randomly clicking things while thinking they are
something else I am looking at sophos again.
As long as its easy to remove devices when they die or if I have to
change or replace things when they are needed thats fine.

> I think to be fair to Defender/msse there has always to be a few people
> who get a virus as its a continuous battle between the virus and malware
> folk and the anti virus software writers.

Gene

Computer advisors I trust say that Defender isn't as good as other good programs.  There is a debate about whether and to what extent this matters because, evidently, Microsoft says that Defender will protect against malware that users are likely to encounter.  I expect that if you look for information in places like PC World, Kim Komando, Life Hacker, and other reputable advisors, that many of them will say that it's better to use something else.

> Plese don't take this conversation off list.
>

> I'm glad you shared this to the list.  It is very valuable to know
> accessible virus programs.  I don't see how this could be construed as
> advertising.
>

> I have heard that Caspersky is now accessible once you can get it
> installed. If you do a google search for accessible virus programs with
> screen readers, etc, you should come upon an article by David goldfield
> about this.  After he had issues with Windows Defender not catching
> viruses he investigated and chose Caspersky.
>

> I'm still hoping for more input from listers on antivirus programs that
> work well with NVDA and are highly rated in the sighted world or other
> folks experiences with Caspersky which is a good program.
>

> thanks for sharing.
>

> brenda
>

> On 3/15/2017 4:56 AM, Felix G. wrote:
>> Hello,
>> the program is subscription-based, and there is a free 30 day test
>> period.
>> It scans for viruses, worms and the like in addition to the wider
>> definition of malware including adware and spyware.
>> Here is the link:
>> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/?id=14510978
>> So much in the interest of sharing. I think any follow-ups should be
>> discussed off-list since this is going way off topic and may easily be
>> construed as me running an ad campaign, which I am not. ;)
>> Kind regards,
>> Felix
>>
>> Casey <cwollner@... <mailto:cwollner@...>> schrieb am Di.,
>> 14. März 2017 um 14:41 Uhr:
>>
>>     Hi where can you get this Emsisoft Antimalware from?
>>     Also is it free or is there A charge for this program?
>>     And how easy is it to set up and install?
>>     Well it work with Jaws 18 as well?

Brenda <bjnite@...>

I think Sophos has a free up-to-10 user homeversion of their program.

brenda

On 3/16/2017 7:30 AM, Felix G. wrote:

Hi!
I mostly agree. The irony is that some of the people who sneak adware onto your drive are exactly those people you trust with the job of protecting you from adware. In that respect I found the following article enlightening:
http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/01/17/has-the-antivirus-industry-gone-mad/
It's old news but even more valid today.
Kind regards,
Felix

Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> schrieb am Do., 16. März 2017 um 11:59 Uhr:
Sadly I do think some of those malware makers have gotten greedy.
Its why I like msse or a bare bones no frills you get what you see kind
of deal.
 From avg that seems to collect info to sell to others that load extras
> [...]
The government spies on us to watch out for bad guys and to make sure we
are safe.
I have accepted to that.
But I don't really want hastles.
I also want whatever it is to be long term and not short term like a
year or 2 before it dies which was what was happening.
Msse has maintained most of what I want   bar its protection but it
appears the latest defender is starting to chuck eronious messages and
with one of my parents randomly clicking things while thinking they are
something else I am looking at sophos again.
As long as its easy to remove devices when they die or if I have to
change or replace things when they are needed thats fine.

> I think to be fair to Defender/msse there has always to be a few people
> who get a virus as its a continuous battle between the virus and malware
> folk and the anti virus software writers.

enes sarıbaş

and most importantly, independant tests like av-comparatives find defender inadequate. Many programs have a  better detection rate than defender.

On 3/16/2017 4:28 PM, Gene wrote:
Computer advisors I trust say that Defender isn't as good as other good programs.  There is a debate about whether and to what extent this matters because, evidently, Microsoft says that Defender will protect against malware that users are likely to encounter.  I expect that if you look for information in places like PC World, Kim Komando, Life Hacker, and other reputable advisors, that many of them will say that it's better to use something else.

> Plese don't take this conversation off list.
>

> I'm glad you shared this to the list.  It is very valuable to know
> accessible virus programs.  I don't see how this could be construed as
> advertising.
>

> I have heard that Caspersky is now accessible once you can get it
> installed. If you do a google search for accessible virus programs with
> screen readers, etc, you should come upon an article by David goldfield
> about this.  After he had issues with Windows Defender not catching
> viruses he investigated and chose Caspersky.
>

> I'm still hoping for more input from listers on antivirus programs that
> work well with NVDA and are highly rated in the sighted world or other
> folks experiences with Caspersky which is a good program.
>

> thanks for sharing.
>

> brenda
>

> On 3/15/2017 4:56 AM, Felix G. wrote:
>> Hello,
>> the program is subscription-based, and there is a free 30 day test
>> period.
>> It scans for viruses, worms and the like in addition to the wider
>> definition of malware including adware and spyware.
>> Here is the link:
>> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/?id=14510978
>> So much in the interest of sharing. I think any follow-ups should be
>> discussed off-list since this is going way off topic and may easily be
>> construed as me running an ad campaign, which I am not. ;)
>> Kind regards,
>> Felix
>>
>> Casey <cwollner@... <mailto:cwollner@...>> schrieb am Di.,
>> 14. März 2017 um 14:41 Uhr:
>>
>>     Hi where can you get this Emsisoft Antimalware from?
>>     Also is it free or is there A charge for this program?
>>     And how easy is it to set up and install?
>>     Well it work with Jaws 18 as well?

Christo Vorster

Hi

I accept that there might be better antivirus programs than Defender, but what are they?

My experience with Defender on my Windows 2010 machines have been positive, up to now.

Regards

Computer advisors I trust say that Defender isn't as good as other good programs.  There is a debate about whether and to what extent this matters because, evidently, Microsoft says that Defender will protect against malware that users are likely to encounter.  I expect that if you look for information in places like PC World, Kim Komando, Life Hacker, and other reputable advisors, that many of them will say that it's better to use something else.

> Plese don't take this conversation off list.
>

> I'm glad you shared this to the list.  It is very valuable to know
> accessible virus programs.  I don't see how this could be construed as
> advertising.
>

> I have heard that Caspersky is now accessible once you can get it
> installed. If you do a google search for accessible virus programs with
> screen readers, etc, you should come upon an article by David goldfield
> about this.  After he had issues with Windows Defender not catching
> viruses he investigated and chose Caspersky.
>

> I'm still hoping for more input from listers on antivirus programs that
> work well with NVDA and are highly rated in the sighted world or other
> folks experiences with Caspersky which is a good program.
>

> thanks for sharing.
>

> brenda
>

> On 3/15/2017 4:56 AM, Felix G. wrote:
>> Hello,
>> the program is subscription-based, and there is a free 30 day test
>> period.
>> It scans for viruses, worms and the like in addition to the wider
>> definition of malware including adware and spyware.
>> Here is the link:
>> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/?id=14510978
>> So much in the interest of sharing. I think any follow-ups should be
>> discussed off-list since this is going way off topic and may easily be
>> construed as me running an ad campaign, which I am not. ;)
>> Kind regards,
>> Felix
>>
>> Casey <cwollner@... <mailto:cwollner@...>> schrieb am Di.,
>> 14. März 2017 um 14:41 Uhr:
>>
>>     Hi where can you get this Emsisoft Antimalware from?
>>     Also is it free or is there A charge for this program?
>>     And how easy is it to set up and install?
>>     Well it work with Jaws 18 as well?

Roger Stewart

I've been using Defender for quite a while now with no problems at all.  There was a couple weeks where I was getting some kind of false message about Defender dealing with malicious software but when checking, I found nothing it had removed.  These messages have gone away and all is good.  I've also heard that Defender will be getting even better in the next version of Win 10.

Roger

On 3/17/2017 5:03 AM, Christo Vorster wrote:

Hi

I accept that there might be better antivirus programs than Defender, but what are they?

My experience with Defender on my Windows 2010 machines have been positive, up to now.

Regards

Computer advisors I trust say that Defender isn't as good as other good programs.  There is a debate about whether and to what extent this matters because, evidently, Microsoft says that Defender will protect against malware that users are likely to encounter.  I expect that if you look for information in places like PC World, Kim Komando, Life Hacker, and other reputable advisors, that many of them will say that it's better to use something else.

> Plese don't take this conversation off list.
>

> I'm glad you shared this to the list.  It is very valuable to know
> accessible virus programs.  I don't see how this could be construed as
> advertising.
>

> I have heard that Caspersky is now accessible once you can get it
> installed. If you do a google search for accessible virus programs with
> screen readers, etc, you should come upon an article by David goldfield
> about this.  After he had issues with Windows Defender not catching
> viruses he investigated and chose Caspersky.
>

> I'm still hoping for more input from listers on antivirus programs that
> work well with NVDA and are highly rated in the sighted world or other
> folks experiences with Caspersky which is a good program.
>

> thanks for sharing.
>

> brenda
>

> On 3/15/2017 4:56 AM, Felix G. wrote:
>> Hello,
>> the program is subscription-based, and there is a free 30 day test
>> period.
>> It scans for viruses, worms and the like in addition to the wider
>> definition of malware including adware and spyware.
>> Here is the link:
>> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/?id=14510978
>> So much in the interest of sharing. I think any follow-ups should be
>> discussed off-list since this is going way off topic and may easily be
>> construed as me running an ad campaign, which I am not. ;)
>> Kind regards,
>> Felix
>>
>> Casey <cwollner@... <mailto:cwollner@...>> schrieb am Di.,
>> 14. März 2017 um 14:41 Uhr:
>>
>>     Hi where can you get this Emsisoft Antimalware from?
>>     Also is it free or is there A charge for this program?
>>     And how easy is it to set up and install?
>>     Well it work with Jaws 18 as well?

Felix G.

Hi!
Generally speaking, if I were currently looking for a good antimalware solution, I would look for the following:
- Dual engine approach. Two engines see more than one, and more than two is overkill.
- Surfing protection based on a list of known malware-distributing sites.
- Good behavior blocking technology that spots programs trying to open backdoors, modify the registry in unexpected ways etc.
- Protection against a wide variety of types of malware, including but not limited to viruses, worms, trojans, backdoors, adware and spyware.
So much for the list of positive characteristics. Here's what would put me off a given solution:
- Email scanning. This makes no sense as any malicious file will need to be saved to disk prior to being opened. So, classic file-based scanning on write will get them all anyway if done correctly.
- Add-ons for specific browsers, email applications, office suites etc. I'd like to be protected in general on a conceptual system level, not in a per-program way which needs updating every time I decide to install something new.
The program I suggested earlier in this thread would seem to fit the exact criteria I outlined here, therefore that's what I'm using and what I'll continue to use until any of these parameters change for the worse, at which point I'll re-evaluate.
Kind regards and hope this helps,
Felix