Unable to get to Embedded object when playing something in Google Chrome only

Dejan Ristic

Hi,

I'm no longer able to get to embedded objects by pressing O, and/or Shift O when I play a movie or audio. It happens only in Google Chrome. NVDA says: No next embedded object, and/or No previous embedded object.

When I try the same in Firefox, or even Opera, or even Avast! Safe Zone Browser, it won't fail.

Note:

I am regularly in the browse mode, for it is only possible to issue the embedded object-related command when in the browse mode.

Google chrome version: latest.

NVDA version: latest.

Operating system: Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Note 2:

When I arrow up or down manually on a web page, I can find the embedded object area on the page.

Gene

On what sites?  Can you give a link to a specific movie or audio where this happens?  When people report a problem on web pages, if possible, an address to a page where the problem occurs should be given.  This may or may not be a problem with Chrome.  It may be that for some reason, other browsers are using HTML5 for the stream and other browsers are using Flash on the same page.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:36 PM
Subject: [nvda] Unable to get to Embedded object when playing something in Google Chrome only

Hi,

I'm no longer able to get to embedded objects by pressing O, and/or
Shift O when I play a movie or audio. It happens only in Google Chrome.
NVDA says: No next embedded object, and/or No previous embedded object.

When I try the same in Firefox, or even Opera, or even Avast! Safe Zone
Browser, it won't fail.

Note:

I am regularly in the browse mode, for it is only possible to issue the
embedded object-related command when in the browse mode.

Google chrome version: latest.

NVDA version: latest.

Operating system: Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Note 2:

When I arrow up or down manually on a web page, I can find the embedded
object area on the page.

Dejan Ristic

Gene,

Here is the first link: http://www.rtrs.tv/program/uzivo.php?c=2

The page is in Serbian, so I think that it will not matter. It is a radio live streaming programme.

Here comes the second one:

http://philosopher-at-large.blogspot.ba/2012/06/guest-poet.html

Take care,
Dejan

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:36 PM

Hi,

I'm no longer able to get to embedded objects by pressing O, and/or
Shift O when I play a movie or audio. It happens only in Google Chrome.
NVDA says: No next embedded object, and/or No previous embedded object.

When I try the same in Firefox, or even Opera, or even Avast! Safe Zone
Browser, it won't fail.

Note:

I am regularly in the browse mode, for it is only possible to issue the
embedded object-related command when in the browse mode.

Google chrome version: latest.

NVDA version: latest.

Operating system: Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Note 2:

When I arrow up or down manually on a web page, I can find the embedded
object area on the page.

Did this problem happen with earlier versions of Chrome or only with the latest one.  How long have you used the latest update?  Does that problem happen in general or only on a small number of pages?  I'm going to see if I can use the sites.  they may be restricted and many locations may not be able to use them.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:36 PM

Hi,

I'm no longer able to get to embedded objects by pressing O, and/or
Shift O when I play a movie or audio. It happens only in Google Chrome.
NVDA says: No next embedded object, and/or No previous embedded object.

When I try the same in Firefox, or even Opera, or even Avast! Safe Zone
Browser, it won't fail.

Note:

I am regularly in the browse mode, for it is only possible to issue the
embedded object-related command when in the browse mode.

Google chrome version: latest.

NVDA version: latest.

Operating system: Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Note 2:

When I arrow up or down manually on a web page, I can find the embedded
object area on the page.

Dejan Ristic

It did not happen with the previous Chrome versions. I have used the latest update since its release. I have detected the problem on the given pages. I do not use other pages with flash contents. The only thing I know is that it has never happened before. It is yesterday that I encountered it. But, what is interesting about all is that when I use the arrows, I can find the embedded object area. It will not work for me only when I try to get it by O, or shift plus O.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:36 PM

Hi,

I'm no longer able to get to embedded objects by pressing O, and/or
Shift O when I play a movie or audio. It happens only in Google Chrome.
NVDA says: No next embedded object, and/or No previous embedded object.

When I try the same in Firefox, or even Opera, or even Avast! Safe Zone
Browser, it won't fail.

Note:

I am regularly in the browse mode, for it is only possible to issue the
embedded object-related command when in the browse mode.

Google chrome version: latest.

NVDA version: latest.

Operating system: Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Note 2:

When I arrow up or down manually on a web page, I can find the embedded
object area on the page.

I almost never use Chrome and it isn't current on my Windows 7 machine.  I can let it update and test it later tonight on that machine if you don't get definite answers before then.  I can check the site later after I let Chrome update.  But I can't switch machines now.  I was able to see an embedded object when I used my older version of Chrome on my XP machine.  I think this is a problem introduced in Chrome.  My older version of Chrome is still new enough that it should have played an HTML5 stream if it were available.  Let's try to be more certain.  Try going to the first link you gave and, starting from the top of the page, look for button the pag3e.  Do you see anything like a play button and other buttons you might see in a player?  If so, then the new Chrome is using an HTML stream.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:36 PM

Hi,

I'm no longer able to get to embedded objects by pressing O, and/or
Shift O when I play a movie or audio. It happens only in Google Chrome.
NVDA says: No next embedded object, and/or No previous embedded object.

When I try the same in Firefox, or even Opera, or even Avast! Safe Zone
Browser, it won't fail.

Note:

I am regularly in the browse mode, for it is only possible to issue the
embedded object-related command when in the browse mode.

Google chrome version: latest.

NVDA version: latest.

Operating system: Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Note 2:

When I arrow up or down manually on a web page, I can find the embedded
object area on the page.

It appears, then, that the embedded objects should be able to be found on these pages by using the arrow keys.  This appears to be the Chrome developers, breaking something related to accessibility roughly on schedule.  they seem to break something about every six or eight months since I've been paying attention to Chrome for about a year and a half.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 7:58 PM

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:36 PM

Hi,

I'm no longer able to get to embedded objects by pressing O, and/or
Shift O when I play a movie or audio. It happens only in Google Chrome.
NVDA says: No next embedded object, and/or No previous embedded object.

When I try the same in Firefox, or even Opera, or even Avast! Safe Zone
Browser, it won't fail.

Note:

I am regularly in the browse mode, for it is only possible to issue the
embedded object-related command when in the browse mode.

Google chrome version: latest.

NVDA version: latest.

Operating system: Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Note 2:

When I arrow up or down manually on a web page, I can find the embedded
object area on the page.

I'm sorry, when I replied, I thought someone else had sent these comments.  I think my e-mail program may have gotten behind and read the wrong name.  That information is important and completely changes what we can infer.  Please include details even if you don't know if they are important when reporting problems.  Everything you reported in your last message was important.  As I said, this seems very likely perhaps definitely to be a Chrome problem.  I hhope it has been reported.  You may want to report it as well.  we'll see if we get any indications that others have already done so.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 7:58 PM

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:36 PM

Hi,

I'm no longer able to get to embedded objects by pressing O, and/or
Shift O when I play a movie or audio. It happens only in Google Chrome.
NVDA says: No next embedded object, and/or No previous embedded object.

When I try the same in Firefox, or even Opera, or even Avast! Safe Zone
Browser, it won't fail.

Note:

I am regularly in the browse mode, for it is only possible to issue the
embedded object-related command when in the browse mode.

Google chrome version: latest.

NVDA version: latest.

Operating system: Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Note 2:

When I arrow up or down manually on a web page, I can find the embedded
object area on the page.

Dejan Ristic

Let me suppose so, too.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 7:58 PM

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:36 PM

Hi,

I'm no longer able to get to embedded objects by pressing O, and/or
Shift O when I play a movie or audio. It happens only in Google Chrome.
NVDA says: No next embedded object, and/or No previous embedded object.

When I try the same in Firefox, or even Opera, or even Avast! Safe Zone
Browser, it won't fail.

Note:

I am regularly in the browse mode, for it is only possible to issue the
embedded object-related command when in the browse mode.

Google chrome version: latest.

NVDA version: latest.

Operating system: Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Note 2:

When I arrow up or down manually on a web page, I can find the embedded
object area on the page.

Dejan Ristic

Hi Gene,

Let me try to give you a reply to your question, although I'm not going to promise that I shall be more certain at the moment.

As for the buttons from the first link, I'm unable to see them in any of the browsers, except Internet Explorer 11, currently installed on my machine.

How do I find the buttons?

When I open the link in IE, I hit O to get me to the embedded object area. Then, I hit space, and the buttons play and pause are before me. I was able to do the same in Firefox before.

As for Firefox, Chrome, and Opera now, I am able to do the following:

When I find the embedded object area, and when I press space on it, the only thing I can do is switch to the focus mode, and turn the volume up and down by using the up and down arrows.

The same goes for the second link.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:36 PM

Hi,

I'm no longer able to get to embedded objects by pressing O, and/or
Shift O when I play a movie or audio. It happens only in Google Chrome.
NVDA says: No next embedded object, and/or No previous embedded object.

When I try the same in Firefox, or even Opera, or even Avast! Safe Zone
Browser, it won't fail.

Note:

I am regularly in the browse mode, for it is only possible to issue the
embedded object-related command when in the browse mode.

Google chrome version: latest.

NVDA version: latest.

Operating system: Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Note 2:

When I arrow up or down manually on a web page, I can find the embedded
object area on the page.

I don't know if the language being used in NVDA or in Windows settings has anything to do with the command.  I use English and the command is the letter b for move to next button.  That should move you to player buttons if HTML 5 is being used and if the buttons are accessible.  But from your last description, that in Chrome you can find the embedded object by arrowing to it, that means that standard buttons aren't being used.  HTML5 usually uses standard buttons but, as you know, Flash uses its own buttons.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:36 PM

Hi,

I'm no longer able to get to embedded objects by pressing O, and/or
Shift O when I play a movie or audio. It happens only in Google Chrome.
NVDA says: No next embedded object, and/or No previous embedded object.

When I try the same in Firefox, or even Opera, or even Avast! Safe Zone
Browser, it won't fail.

Note:

I am regularly in the browse mode, for it is only possible to issue the
embedded object-related command when in the browse mode.

Google chrome version: latest.

NVDA version: latest.

Operating system: Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Note 2:

When I arrow up or down manually on a web page, I can find the embedded
object area on the page.

Dejan Ristic

We both agree. I can find embedded object, but not the buttons. I use NVDA in English. It is only that I find the buttons in IE 11. It was possible with Firefox too, but now it is not.