Topics

google chrome and the m.facebook.com website help

Hello I posted this last night but haven't heard back.

I need some one to try m.facebook.com

in chrome I am unable to find the chat link fore chatting with friends online

below is what internet explorer is showing.

ProfileMessagesNotifications(2)Chat(7)Friends

Menu
in google chrome I get
Facebook
News Feed
 Alt+1
Friend Requests  Alt+2
Messages  Alt+3
 Notifications 2 Alt+4
Main Menu
where is the chat link at?
I am running in to this with nvda and jaws, this only happens with google chrome
can any one please confirm this am trying to figure out if it is just me running in to this or if facebook broke the site once again.
thanks
Hank

Robert Mendoza

I tested this as well using the Chrome browser, and I've got the same result. Perhaps the structure in viewing of this site is or the format of the html is different though I hardly used Chrome for my daily works.

Robert Mendoza
On 3/21/2017 12:06 PM, The Wolf wrote:

[...]

Gene

In the Internet Explorer Examples as reproduced in the message, links weren't read correctly.  Underlying code was read.  But Chrome read the links correctly.  It may be that if it can't find text it can use, it skips the underlying code and doesn't treat it as a link.  It may treat it as though it isn't there as far as what the user sees.  I don't know if that is what is going on, but it looks suspiciously as though it is.  If so, and if that is what Chrome does when working with unlabeled links in general, that is a major problem.

Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:25 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] google chrome and the m.facebook.com website help

[...]

Dejan Ristic

Friend,

Although I'm not using m.facebook.com, let me ask a question.

What do you think about switching to the focus mode in Chrome, and trying to tab to the desired area?

It's happened to help me when I've been unable to reach some contents in the browse mode.

On 3/21/2017 5:06 AM, The Wolf wrote:

[...]

Simone Dal Maso

I explain this:
when you access with google chrome, facebook is thinking that you are using an android device, so the mobile version of the website is designed with touch screen in mind.
If you want solve the problem you must change user agent, so you tell m.facebook.com that you are using firefox 33, also if you are using google chrome.

In chrome webstore there are many extensions that allow you to change user agent, currently I'm using:
User-Agent Switcher for Chrome.

The trick is to define a rule, in which you use always google chrome as user agent, but when you digit m.facebook.com automagically your user agent is firefox 33.

Hope this help!

Il 21/03/2017 05:06, The Wolf ha scritto:
Hello I posted this last night but haven't heard back.

I need some one to try m.facebook.com

in chrome I am unable to find the chat link fore chatting with friends
online

below is what internet explorer is showing.

Profile
<https://m.facebook.com/hank.smith.9235?ref_component=mbasic_home_header&;ref_page=%2Fwap%2Fhome.php&refid=8>Messages
<https://m.facebook.com/messages/?ref_component=mbasic_home_header&;ref_page=%2Fwap%2Fhome.php&refid=8>*Notifications(2)*
<https://m.facebook.com/notifications.php?ref_component=mbasic_home_header&;ref_page=%2Fwap%2Fhome.php&refid=8>Chat(7)
<https://m.facebook.com/buddylist.php?ref_component=mbasic_home_header&;ref_page=%2Fwap%2Fhome.php&refid=8>Friends
<https://m.facebook.com/friends/center/mbasic/?fb_ref=tn&;sr=1&ref_component=mbasic_home_header&ref_page=%2Fwap%2Fhome.php&refid=8>

<https://m.facebook.com/groups/?category=membership&;a_type=sr&refid=8>
<https://m.facebook.com/events/?a_type=sr&;refid=8>
<https://m.facebook.com/notes/?a_type=sr&;refid=8>
<https://m.facebook.com/saved/?a_type=sr&;refid=8>
<https://m.facebook.com/settings/?a_type=sr&;refid=8>
<https://m.facebook.com/help/?a_type=sr&;refid=8>
Menu
<https://m.facebook.com/menu/bookmarks/?ref_component=mbasic_home_header&;ref_page=%2Fwap%2Fhome.php&refid=8>
in google chrome I get
Facebook
News Feed
Alt+1
Friend Requests Alt+2
Messages Alt+3
Notifications 2 Alt+4
Main Menu
where is the chat link at?
I am running in to this with nvda and jaws, this only happens with
google chrome
can any one please confirm this am trying to figure out if it is just me
running in to this or if facebook broke the site once again.
thanks
Hank

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Does sound a bit strange that, as one would at least expecct blankclickable or something.
Maybe its because its a site for mobiles its not conidered in the same way as normal sites are. I have no wish to get embroiled in facebook myself, too much of a time waster.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Armando Maldonado

Hello, I tired installing the chrome extention mentioned and it's a no-go, how do I get this to work? Thanks.

Does sound a bit strange that, as one would at least expecct blankclickable or something.
Maybe its because its a site for mobiles its not conidered in the same way as normal sites are. I have no wish to get embroiled in facebook myself, too much of a time waster.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
[...]

Absolutely crazy situation if you ask me. the details of a browser in use surely should be communicated in full and assumptions should not be made in this way.
[...]

tried that and it did not work

like I said I am running in to this both with nvda and with jaws

On 3/21/2017 1:46 AM, Dejan Ristic wrote:

[...]

ok totally confusing

so I have to get a chrome add on just to use m.facebook.com?

On 3/21/2017 2:59 AM, Simone Dal Maso wrote:
[...]

Jacob Kruger

Again - like another thread, is there a reason you're specifically using chrome with m.facebook.com?

I ask that since I generally stick to either firefox, or actually internet explorer 11 for that site, while I do in fact use chrome as my primary browser for most other web content, but, that's purely because chrome insists on rendering it in a much more fancy way, whereas something like IE11 renders it the same way it has been doing for a few yers now, and, generally, firefox seems to as well.

But, if missed something on this thread earlier on, then I apologise, since haven't really been following it as such.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2017-03-21 19:56, The Wolf wrote:
ok totally confusing

[...]

chrome is also set as my default browser

was hoping I wouldn't have to use a spasific browser fore a website, but it looks like that I don't have really any choice.

the funny thing is that it just started happening a few days ago and it was working perfictly before.

thanks

Hank

On 2017-03-21 19:56, The Wolf wrote:
ok totally confusing

[...]

You and others may know this but since you mention the default browser, I'll make the following comments.  It doesn't matter what browser is the default.  it's no harder to open another browser and follow a book mark.  All that having a browser set as default means is that if you follow a link from an e-mail program your default browser will open or if you have a link somewhere such as on the desktop and follow it, the default browser will open.  If almost all you use another browser for is this one site, you might make it the home page.  Or as I said, you could open the browser and follow a book mark.

chrome is also set as my default browser

was hoping I wouldn't have to use a spasific browser fore a website, but
it looks like that I don't have really any choice.

the funny thing is that it just started happening a few days ago and it
was working perfictly before.

thanks

Hank

On 3/21/2017 11:07 AM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
> Again - like another thread, is there a reason you're specifically
> using chrome with m.facebook.com?
>

> I ask that since I generally stick to either firefox, or actually
> internet explorer 11 for that site, while I do in fact use chrome as
> my primary browser for most other web content, but, that's purely
> because chrome insists on rendering it in a much more fancy way,
> whereas something like IE11 renders it the same way it has been doing
> for a few yers now, and, generally, firefox seems to as well.
>

> But, if missed something on this thread earlier on, then I apologise,
> since haven't really been following it as such.
>

> Stay well
>

> Jacob Kruger
> Blind Biker
> Skype: BlindZA
> "Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."
>
> On 2017-03-21 19:56, The Wolf wrote:
>> ok totally confusing
>>
>> so I have to get a chrome add on just to use m.facebook.com?
>> On 3/21/2017 2:59 AM, Simone Dal Maso wrote:
>>> I explain this:
>>> when you access with google chrome, facebook is thinking that you
>>> are using an android device, so the mobile version of the website is
>>> designed with touch screen in mind.
>>> If you want solve the problem you must change user agent,  so you
>>> tell m.facebook.com that you are using firefox 33, also if you are
>>> using google chrome.
>>>
>>> In chrome webstore there are many extensions that allow you to
>>> change user agent, currently I'm using:
>>> User-Agent Switcher for Chrome.
>>>
>>> The trick is to define a rule, in which you use always google chrome
>>> as user agent, but when you digit m.facebook.com automagically your
>>> user agent is firefox 33.
>>>
>>> Hope this help!

Jacob Kruger

Maybe either chrome, or FB themselves made changes/updates?

And, yes, understand where you're coming from, but, on my side, I use different browsers for all sorts of different, specific things - yes, I am a web developer...LOL!

Good luck, either way

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA