locked Incredibly basic Excel functionality, and a few extremely elementary questions

Guys,

I just have taken on a new position at my church. One of the things which will be required of me on a very regular basis is to read spreadsheet documents which will be created in Excel.

I should make it very clear that these files will not have anything in them of numerical value, nor have any formulas. The only reason they are using Excel is to keep things neetly organized in both rows and columns, and to make sure that things accessibly line up correctly.

So, being that we are not using Excel for the mathematical side of it, but more just for very basic organization, I’m curious how well NVDA will work with Excel, seeing that I honestly haven’t really used it heavily up until now. It seems to work very very well with JAWS, but I’ve not had the chance to try it with NVDA. If this doesn’t work, which I’m sure it probably will, then I’m going to have to work with them on another sollution, which isn’t a problem, I just need to know either way.

As for my few questions, provided that the lady who does the documents makes the first row of columns specifically be headers, like, name, location assighment, etc, then is there a way, say, I then went to the next row down and saw Chris Gilland, could I somehow query the header of that column and see that I’m in the, “Name” column?

Secondly, is there a way to have excel report the current cell coordinants without the need for me to focus on another cell, then move back to the one I initially was in thereby forcing NVDA to speak them? And finally, can I have NVDA read not just one cell at a time, but instead read me the entire row?

Thanks.

Chris.

Sheri Byrne-Haber

You could copy and paste the content into a Word doc.  Once it’s in a word doc, you can convert the table to text which would simplify everything greatly, but still keep it lined up.

I don’t have any personal experience with NVDA and Excel, but someone who works for me who is blind hates it.  But all the things he has complained about (drop down boxes, comments, totals changing when content changes etc.) you probably wouldn’t be using

Sheri

[...]

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents is confidential, may be privileged, and is intended solely for the person and/or entity to whom it is addressed (i.e. those identified in the "To" and "cc" box). They are the property of McDonald's Corporation. Unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or copying of this communication, or any part thereof, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail and attachments to the sender and delete the e-mail and attachments and any copy from your system. McDonald's thanks you for your cooperation.

Louis Maher <ljmaher@...>

Hello Christopher,

I would always keep your basic documents in Excel.  When you are required to read them, you first select the rows and columns you want to read, open a separate word file, and in the word file, hit alt+control+ v, and arrow down until you see paste as unformatted text.

Another way is to simply copy the rows and columns into a text file.

You can rapidly traverse the text representation in these files.

Please note that it is especially helpful to have a Braille printer, and just read the braille produced from these text formatted files.

Again, keep your original files in Excel.

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838

[...]

Andre Fisher

firstly, NVDA works quite well with Excel. For you to say you have not
had the chance to try Excel with NVDA amuses and puzzles me, because
NVDA is free.

On 3/22/17, Louis Maher <ljmaher@...> wrote:
[...]

That's way more work than necessary! And, with the platform we're using, we *can't* use Word, nor do text.

The files absolutely *MUST!* be in Excel format.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:33 PM

[...]

So, I'm confused thoroughly.

Are you trying to imply that NVDA will not natively read Excel documents just by arrowing from one cell to another?
---
Christopher Gilland

[...]

Well, excuse me Sir, but your comment is quite rude. Have you ever thought just maybe that I'd only been home from work a matter of 10 to 15 minutes when I wrote that message? Secondly, have you ever thought that maybe... just, maybe... at that time, I didn't have access to a computer that had NVDA installed on it, and that that's why I didn't try? Give this guy a break for crying out loud!

I don't know what you find so amusing, in your words, about my previous message, but I'll tell you one thing: your comment definitely wasn't so, with all due respect.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:06 PM

firstly, NVDA works quite well with Excel. For you to say you have not
had the chance to try Excel with NVDA amuses and puzzles me, because
NVDA is free.

On 3/22/17, Louis Maher <ljmaher@...> wrote:
> Hello Christopher,
>

> I would always keep your basic documents in Excel.  When you are required to
> read them, you first select the rows and columns you want to read, open a
> separate word file, and in the word file, hit alt+control+ v, and arrow down
> until you see paste as unformatted text.
>

> Another way is to simply copy the rows and columns into a text file.
>

> You can rapidly traverse the text representation in these files.
>

> Please note that it is especially helpful to have a Braille printer, and
> just read the braille produced from these text formatted files.
>

> Again, keep your original files in Excel.
>

> Regards
>
> Louis Maher
>
> Phone: 713-444-7838
>
> E-mail: ljmaher@...

Travis Siegel

As you already know, excel is not a word processor.  It always irks me when folks use excel for document management.  It's like nobody knows it's a spreadsheet program, and millions of other tools exist to handle documents, including formatting to one's liking.  There's zero reasons to use excel for document management, and it's just a sad state of affairs that folks still do this.  If it were me, I'd be campaigning strongly for a change in venue, since typically, it's generally best to use a program for it's intended purpose instead of shoehorning it into a role it was never meant to fill, but that's just my take on things, feel free to ignore as desired.

Just saying, excel is a horrible tool to use, just because formatting is a premium.

Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:33 PM

[...]

I'm sorry you feel that way, but with all due respect, I didn't ask if Excel was a good sollution. I asked if Excel, in general, worked with NVDA. Just answer the question.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:33 PM

[...]

Jacques <lists4js@...>

  1. Column and row headers can be set on the column or row containing the headers and will be echoed by NVDA while navigating through cells. The NVDA user guide covers this in detail in the section pertaining to Excel.
  2. As for cell co-ordinates, this can be set to speak while navigating by cells. This setting is found under document settings, NVDA+control+d and the changes made here can be saved globally or under an Excel specific profile. See NVDA user guide for details. Alternatively cell co-ordinates can be queried on the fly with NVDA+numpad-delete, which will speak the name of the sheet and the cell address which has focus. I believe the latter keystroke was added in NVDA 2017.1.
  3. I cant think off-hand how one would read the entire row in Excel, but that could be because I use Excel for its purpose and not as a database or word processor.

[...]

Hi.

Just test it and see how it works. Different persons have different results.

On 3/22/17, Jacques <lists4js@...> wrote:
[...]

Jacques

<https://certification.nvaccess.org/> Visit NVDA certification page here

<https://www.stascom.co.za/> Open my home page |
<mailto:webmaster@...> contact webmaster |
<https://www.twitter.com/stassenj> follow on Twitter

Are you trying to imply that NVDA will not natively read Excel documents
just by arrowing from one cell to another?

---
Christopher Gilland

http://www.gshministry.org
(980) 500-9575

E-mail: <mailto:ljmaher@...> ljmaher@...

[...]

You are awesome! Thank you so so much! This is precisely! the info I needed.

Have a fantastic day, and thank you for such a thorough response. It is profusely appreciated!

God bless.
---
Christopher Gilland

[...]

Gene

You might not take things so personally or be more temperate in your responses.  I wondered why you were discussing the question since as I recall, you use NVDA.  I thought you just might not have gotten around to trying it yet but even so, I wondered and I thought it perhaps a bit odd that you hadn't tried it.  We aren't mind readers.  Not every slight comment that may be construed as a mild criticism or a bit of slightly critical humor is worth a dramatic explosion.  A comment, perhaps or a mild expression of annoyance perhaps, but this?

Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:06 PM

firstly, NVDA works quite well with Excel. For you to say you have not
had the chance to try Excel with NVDA amuses and puzzles me, because
NVDA is free.

On 3/22/17, Louis Maher <ljmaher@...> wrote:
> Hello Christopher,
>

> I would always keep your basic documents in Excel.  When you are required to
> read them, you first select the rows and columns you want to read, open a
> separate word file, and in the word file, hit alt+control+ v, and arrow down
> until you see paste as unformatted text.
>

> Another way is to simply copy the rows and columns into a text file.
>

> You can rapidly traverse the text representation in these files.
>

> Please note that it is especially helpful to have a Braille printer, and
> just read the braille produced from these text formatted files.
>

> Again, keep your original files in Excel.
>

> Regards
>
> Louis Maher
>
> Phone: 713-444-7838
>
> E-mail: ljmaher@...

Never mind. I got the info I needed. Don't get me wrong here. I get the point you're trying to make, but the way you phrased things honestly was quite short in tone, whether intended or not.

Have a good day, and again, thanks, Jacques, for being... civil regarding my question.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:22 AM

Hi.

Just test it and see how it works. Different persons have different results.

On 3/22/17, Jacques <lists4js@...> wrote:
> 1. Column and row headers can be set on the column or row containing the
> headers and will be echoed by NVDA while navigating through cells. The NVDA
> user guide covers this in detail in the section pertaining to Excel.
> 2. As for cell co-ordinates, this can be set to speak while navigating by
> cells. This setting is found under document settings, NVDA+control+d and the
> changes made here can be saved globally or under an Excel specific profile.
> See NVDA user guide for details. Alternatively cell co-ordinates can be
> queried on the fly with NVDA+numpad-delete, which will speak the name of the
> sheet and the cell address which has focus. I believe the latter keystroke
> was added in NVDA 2017.1.
> 3. I can’t think off-hand how one would read the entire row in Excel, but
> that could be because I use Excel for its purpose and not as a database or
> word processor.
>

> Jacques
>

>  <https://certification.nvaccess.org/> Visit NVDA certification page here
>
>  <https://www.stascom.co.za/> Open my home page  |
> <mailto:webmaster@...> contact webmaster  |
> <https://www.twitter.com/stassenj> follow on Twitter

Gene

Talk about rude.

Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11:15 PM

Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:33 PM

[...]

Arlene

Hi, sorry I’m late in this thread. I thought Excel was only used as a spread sheet  not for documents.  Yes, excel can be used with NVDA. I’ve seen it but only as a spread sheet.

Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:33 PM

[...]

Felix G.

Hi!
If the intent is to keep the information organized in a table, then Excel is a good choice, not just for numerical data but for any kind of data that has tabular dimensions, headers, columns, you get my meaning.
I have had some good results working with Excel and NVDA. In particular, arrowing to a cell will read its contents and will also read headers if so configured, as was previously mentioned here. I believe even browse mode is implemented for Excel but my memory may be failing me here.
Kind regards,
Felix

Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:33 PM

[...]

Browse mode is implemented indeed for Excel and is very useful in a few situations. One such scenario is when looking for input fields while in browse mode, but a number of other advantages can be explored, no doubt.

Jacques

Visit NVDA certification page here

Open my home page  |  contact webmaster  |  follow on Twitter

Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:33 PM

[...]

Christo Vorster

My take on this discussion is:

If you want to use Excel as a database, I fully agree because it is a wonderful tool, much better than Access. For wordprocessing, Word would be the better choice.

The bottom line however, I feel that everybody are entitled to use the application of their choice.

Regards

Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:33 PM

[...]

I'm not here, Gene to argue this.

I stated how I felt, and that's that, and my opinion on the matter isn't going to change.

If you have any further problems with what I said, or me, then you take it up with me off list.

Enough said. I'm going back to NVDA discussion. If you wanna join me, great, if not, that's kind of not my problem. The decision's your's at this point.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:06 PM