running filters on messages in thunderbird

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, everyone,

How do you run a filter when you get a message in thunderbird? I created my rule for this list but can't get the messages to go in the proper folder.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Ron Canazzi

Hi Rosemary,

With thunderbird, this process is quite simple.

1. Create your folder by highlighting the tree view of folders, making sure you are at the level desired for the filter creation and use the right click menu to choose new folder and type in a name and press return.

2. Then from the main window, press alt + T for tools, F for filters, tab once to new and press space bar and a standard dialogue opens where you fill in your pertinent information.

This is much easier than some older programs like Outlook Express where when in the filter creation process, the interface was such that you had to do a lot of routing of PC to review or JAWS and so on to choose the contains or does not contain and the folder choices.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Ron,

What I'm asking is how do you run a filter on amessage you want to go to the proper folder? Even though I created the message rule for this list, I'm still having messages go to the inbox.

Rosemarie

On 3/24/2017 9:28 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

If you followed the steps to create the filter properly, they should automatically go to the folders as received. If there were messages in the inbox that you want filtered before you created the filter, then go to your inbox, press alt + T for tools and R for run filter on folder. This should move the misplaced messages from the inbox to the proper folder/s.

[...]

Marco Oros

Also, You must press alt+up arrow in the list of folders to orientate properly.

Rosemarie Chavarria

I tried that and it didn't work.

Also, You must press alt+up arrow in the list of folders to orientate properly.

Rosemarie Chavarria

I did everything correctly but it still didn't work. I'm staying with outlook.

[...]

I remember you tried to get message rules to work before.  It's possible that the message rules aren't working propperly even though you are doing everything correctly but it's very unlikely.  If you can work with someone by phone, by Skype or however you want to communicate, the person can probably figure out the problem.

Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:36 PM

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

it sounds like she is not doing the last steps. when she is doing it.

When you go through the filter one of the combo boxes will have a move to it is the combo box after that where it says folder. she needs to open it up then navigate it to the folder where she wants it to go to. for example nvda tutorials of where ever she wants it to go to.

Up on the accessible email client mozilla thunder bird page there is both a written and audio tutorial on what to do for a basic one.

The one setup there was for any emails from the nvda list to go into a nvda folder.

but i am guessing that is what she is not doing the combo box after the move combo box to where she wants it to go to. You navigate the folder one like a tree view.

the more advanced she wants it the more fields she may have to do  depending how she sets it.

Gene nz

Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:36 PM

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene NZ,

I've done all the steps correctly and it still doesn't work. I don't know what other steps I can do. I've done all I know to do.

Rosemarie

Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:36 PM

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

You'll have to work with someone.  We've been through these discussions at least once before.  Some things can't be dealt with on e-mail lists.  While it may be possible that the rules aren't working properly for a technical reason, it's very unlikely.  Someone will have to go through the process with you in real time and make sure exactly what is being done and how.  There may be list members who are willing to do this.

Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2017 12:02 AM

Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:36 PM