Replying to the list using the web site

Gene

What are the steps to reply to the list to a message using the web site?  I deleted a message because I didn't think I had a reply but, on reflection, I did.  I opened the message on the web site, pressed the reply button, wrote a message in the edit field, then I activated the reply to group button.  I did this more than once and no message was sent to the list, at least I didn't see any when I downloaded mail from the list again.

Gene

Gene,

         What you describe having done is exactly correct.  I am subscribed as "no email" but just changed to "all messages" prior to composing this response via the web.  It may be that Groups.io uses an intelligent filter that doesn't e-mail your own messages composed via the web back to you.

          I'll report back in a few minutes as to whether this one appears in my inbox as an email message.

     The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene,

         The message I last sent landed in my inbox before I could even switch to that tab.

         If I can be of any assistance in helping you determine what's going on at your end with regard to your reply not showing up feel free to contact me.

     The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

Thanks for looking at the problem.  I don't see what you can do.  If I followed the correct procedure and nothing was sent, then I have no suggestions or questions, not having anything to base questions on.

Sent: Friday, April 07, 2017 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Replying to the list using the web site

Gene,

         The message I last sent landed in my inbox before I could even switch to that tab.

         If I can be of any assistance in helping you determine what's going on at your end with regard to your reply not showing up feel free to contact me.

     The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

No I got nowhere with this interface either.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

What are the steps to reply to the list to a message using the web site? I deleted a message because I didn't think I had a reply but, on reflection, I did. I opened the message on the web site, pressed the reply button, wrote a message in the edit field, then I activated the reply to group button. I did this more than once and no message was sent to the list, at least I didn't see any when I downloaded mail from the list again.

Gene

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It looked to me like the button did not do anything so maybe the browser was not seeing it or something did not get filled in and an erroroccured somewhere on screen we are not aware of. Seen this sort of thing before, which is why I hate web forum systems.

--
*Brian*

* * *The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing* * in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the* * tempting moment.*

* ~ Dorothy Nevill*

**

Gene,

         I am suspecting that what you believe you did, and what you actually did, might be ever so slightly different.  If you have logged in to the Groups.io website, gone to the messages for a group, and hit the reply button, this should open up the reply area and hitting the Reply to Group button should send what you compose.

         That being said, I'm in NVDA right now while composing this message and the reply composition area is not announced as an edit box. When I finally land in it it announces, "Section editable clickable, clickable."  I still haven't found the way to "quick jump" past all of the control buttons straight into this box.  I find it interesting that the Subject field does announce, "Subject, editable."  I'd think that this box would announce either, "Message text, editable," or "Reply, editable," but it doesn't.

         Once I hit NVDA Key + Spacebar to switch back to browse mode I then cannot escape this edit box by tabbing, and that wasn't true earlier.  Now that I've been playing with this again I'm still stuck in the compose box and can't get out as I'd think I should.

          Even though I'm not the most skilled screen reader user there are clearly accessibility issues with the Groups.io website and certain behaviors are particularly vexing.

          I'm just curious as to what you actually did mostly because it didn't work and I can't even get myself out of this editing area "by conventional means."

          As an aside, I updated to the Creators Update yesterday and when I just fired up NVDA 2017.1 to compose this message I got a massively long announcement regarding Narrator and the languages it's available in.  I found that more than a bit odd and, though it could be helpful, hope it's a one time shot.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

I will also second Brian Gaff's observations about hating web forums systems, or at least this one, for screen reader users.  It is absolutely not screen reader friendly and even the way objects are being announced seems to change depending on where I've jumped and when.  I get a lot of "table" announcements when what appears on the screen would not be recognized as a table by anyone.

If this particular setup is at all characteristic of most of them I can absolutely see why the e-mail list interface is considered vastly preferable, at a minimum, and probably more like absolutely essential by a screen reader user.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

I wrote a reply in the correct area.  I can tab to the correct edit field if I turn browse mode off.  And if I hadn't been able to, I still should have been able to send a blank message with the reply below it by using the reply to group button.  I don't know what the problem is but the button may not work properly when activated from the keyboard.

It usually doesn't matter if I can send a reply from the web interface, but now and then, I've deleted a message I later want to reply to.

Sent: Friday, April 07, 2017 10:19 AM

[...]

We were talking earlier today about the difficulties of using the Groups.io web interfact to reply     to messages.  m trying once again and this time, I'm using a slightly differe    nt procedure.      Let's see if it works.

I finally got it to work.  I switched to forms mode and pressed the space bar on the reply to group button.  I won't experiment more on list because I don't want to have people receive messages of me experimenting with the interface.  It's nice to have the option on the rare occasions when I might want it.  But I'll note that the reason the message has so many mistakes is because you can't read it and edit it when browse mode is off.  You can read it in browse mode but not edit it.  Just one more reason people wouldn't use the web interface.  In case this is useful to anyone, I also wasn't able to see the field for replying when using Chrome.  I was able to see it in firefox while browse mode is off.

We were talking earlier today about the difficulties of using the Groups.io web interfact to reply     to messages.  m trying once again and this time, I'm using a slightly differe    nt procedure.      Let's see if it works.

Gene

mcLeod stinnett

--

Gene

I would suggest trying a different e-mail program.  I don't know what is causing the problem and I'm not assuming it is Thunderbird but you might save yourself a lot of time and trouble if a different program doesn't have this problem.

Gene