Van: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] Namens Abdurrahman Tas
Verzonden: vrijdag 7 april 2017 22:10
Aan: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Onderwerp: [nvda] about pdf files

Hi all, I’ve some pdf files that require ocr. İs there any free or cheap solution  to open this files? And I should say that it contains arabic characters.

Best regards.

Quentin Christensen

There is an OCR addon for NVDA you could try.  See https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ocr.en.html for details and instructions.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Note that many of the commercial OCR programs (Omnipage, Abbyy etc) have features that will automatically convert whole PDF files, so they may be a better solution if you regularly have inaccessible PDFs you need to convert (and you can't get the creators to make them accessible).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
There is an OCR addon for NVDA you could try.  See https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ocr.en.html for details and instructions.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 6:10 AM, Abdurrahman Taş <abdurrahman_hoca@...> wrote:

Hi all, I’ve some pdf files that require ocr. İs there any free or cheap solution  to open this files? And I should say that it contains arabic characters.

Best regards.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Abdurrahman Taş

Hi, thanks for interest. İ uploaded the file and they sent me the converted file But perhaps it was'nt recognized well, nvda could not read any correct words.
kined rigards.

Webmaster Deweer <webmaster_deweer@...> şunları yazdı (7 Nis 2017 23:32):

Hello. I don’t know if that works, but maybe you can try robobraille.org to transcribe them? It supports several formats, languages etc.

Hi all, I’ve some pdf files that require ocr. İs there any free or cheap solution  to open this files? And I should say that it contains arabic characters.

Best regards.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Not sure it does Arabic though, that is the issue, and may indeed by why these pdfs are pictures in the first place of course.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

abdurrahman_hoca@outlook.com> wrote:

Hi all, I’ve some pdf files that require ocr. İs there any free or cheap
solution to open this files? And I should say that it contains arabic
characters.

Best regards.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Oops, sorry I completely missed that in the original question!

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 7:42 PM, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
Not sure it does Arabic though, that is the issue, and may indeed by why these pdfs are pictures in the first place of course.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...>

abdurrahman_hoca@...> wrote:

Hi all, I’ve some pdf files that require ocr. İs there any free or cheap
solution  to open this files? And I should say that it contains arabic
characters.

Best regards.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Abdurrahman Taş

İ want to be able to read the files that needs ocr They contain some arabic characters. İ wonder if NVDA or jaws add'ons can open that files  it is not,  is fine reader enough for this?
thanks for your help.

abdurrahman_hoca@...> wrote:

Hi all, I’ve some pdf files that require ocr. İs there any free or cheap
solution  to open this files? And I should say that it contains arabic
characters.

Best regards.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Yes, there is a free (for home users) solution that does an excellent job with OCR on image PDFs that are images of text.  That being said, I have yet to find one, including the one I'm about to discuss, that handles mixed languages in a single PDF well.  I also haven't found one that deals with Arabic, either.

Tracker Software out of Canada has two free solutions.  I have generally used PDF-XChange Viewer (now deprecated, but still downloadable) which has a free and excellent OCR built-in for English, Spanish, German, and French and which can be extended to a number of other languages at no cost.  The additional language packs can be reviewed on this webpage.

It has been replaced by PDF-XChange Editor, which has more of a Universal Apps look and feel though I don't think it really is one.  It can have the same additional language packs installed as I referenced above.

Neither of these programs is 100% accessible, but the OCR function is.  Once you save the file with its OCR-ed text layer you can open it in the PDF reader of your choice and it is searchable.

Here are the step-by-step instructions I wrote for one of my former students who was using JAWS with PDF-XChange Viewer to OCR process image scanned PDF files:

Using PDF XChange Viewer to perform OCR on any PDF you receive that is an image PDF, step-by-step:

1.     Open PDF XChange Viewer from your start menu.

2.     Hit ALT+F,O to bring up the file open browsing dialog.

3.     Hit ALT+I to jump directly to the Look In combo box

4.     Hit down arrow to get into the area that’s somewhat, but not exactly, like the tree view in Windows Explorer.

5.     Hit L until you hear, “Libraries,” announced.

6.     Hit TAB two times, you should hear, “Documents”.

7.     Hit SPACEBAR to select the Documents library.

8.     Hit ENTER to open the documents library.

9.     Hit the first character of the folder or file name you’re trying to perform OCR on. Keep doing this with the first character until you hear its name announced.

10.                        Hit Enter to open the file or folder.  If you’re dealing with a file at this step go straight to step 11.  Otherwise, do the following

a.     If you know the file is in this folder then use the “hit the first character” technique to locate it and jump to step 11 once you have.

b.     If you need to drill down another folder level go back to step 9.

11.                        Hit ALT+O to open the file in PDF XChange Viewer.

12.                        Hit CTRL+SHIFT+C to open the OCR dialog box.  Immediately hit ENTER to initiate the OCR processing.  The length of time this takes depends on the size of the file being processed.  JAWS does not read the processing status box, but will announce the file’s name with star after it when the processing completes.  That’s how you’ll know it’s done.

13.                        Hit ALT+F,S to save the file and its OCR text into the original file itself.

14.                        Hit ALT+F4 to close PDF XChange Viewer.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I've never had much luck with mixed language OCR of any type actually. I'm not sure if ocr packages assume all in one language or have a Latin and other sorts of comparison files to work from. Its going to be a tough one if they mix Arabic and latin characters.
I'll have to pass on this one as I do not know enough about the inner workings of ocr.

It would be far better if one could get the creator off said files to send you the original text.

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 7:42 PM, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk<mailto:bglists@blueyonder.co.uk>> wrote:
Not sure it does Arabic though, that is the issue, and may indeed by why these pdfs are pictures in the first place of course.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk<mailto:bglists@blueyonder.co.uk>
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk<mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@nvaccess.org<mailto:quentin@nvaccess.org>>

abdurrahman_hoca@outlook.com<mailto:abdurrahman_hoca@outlook.com>> wrote:

Hi all, I’ve some pdf files that require ocr. İs there any free or cheap
solution to open this files? And I should say that it contains arabic
characters.

Best regards.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306<tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
www.nvaccess.org<http://www.nvaccess.org>
Twitter: @NVAccess

--

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306<tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
www.nvaccess.org<http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Twitter: @NVAccess

hello.
you can try openning your document with google chrome and then save it as txt.
i am sure that it works with farsi and arabic language.
Allah bless you.

On 4/9/17, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is: