Free Music Production software

Ame

Hi all!

I have a nice Casio keyboard and it’s got a USB port on it.  Never seen one like it.  I’d love to start creating some music so I was looking at sequencer software.  I found a list of free and open source programs and wondered if anybody had any recommendations.  I can’t afford to buy anything right now so I’m hoping one of these programs will provide what I need.  The list this site gives begins with the one they recommend most highly.  I’ve not heard of any of them.  There’s  LMMS, Hydrogen, temper and DarkWave Studio.  Is anyone familiar with any of these or perhaps other programs that do a good job and, of course, will work with NVDA?  Any feedback I receive will be appreciated.  Thanks so much.

Ame

have you tried qws

http://qws.andrelouis.com

thats free and is used a lot by the blind, sonar studio can be used, and reeper if you can afford it there are 2 licence types and an access plugin for nvda which I foget where to get but its called osara its on github if you want to get that one.

On 8/04/2017 6:33 p.m., Ame wrote:
Hi all!

I have a nice Casio keyboard and it’s got a USB port on it. Never seen one like it. I’d love to start creating some music so I was looking at sequencer software. I found a list of free and open source programs and wondered if anybody had any recommendations. I can’t afford to buy anything right now so I’m hoping one of these programs will provide what I need. The list this site gives begins with the one they recommend most highly. I’ve not heard of any of them. There’s LMMS, Hydrogen, temper and DarkWave Studio. Is anyone familiar with any of these or perhaps other programs that do a good job and, of course, will work with NVDA? Any feedback I receive will be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Ame

Mohammadreza Rashad

Hi. I suggest you use QWS. It's free and accessible with NVDA. Btw, would you tell me its exact model number?

Ame

I don’t know.  As soon as I can  get someone to take a look for me I’ll be happy to tell you.  I love it.  It was a delightful surprise from a family member.  II’m a piano player and my actual piano is in disrepair.  It needs tuning and I’m not sure I could ever keep it in decent tune because our house is a little humid.  Anyway, she knew I  wanted to keep playing so she bought me my Casio.  Thanks so much for your reply

Ame

Oh, I’ve got another couple questions.  I don’t see a midi port anywhere on my Windows 8 machine.  I see USB’s and   others that look like USB’s but I forgot what those are called.  HDMI maybe?  Plus, does this software you recommended have effects?  Can you do reverb and a few basic things like that?

Thanks Mahammadreza.

Marco Oros

Reaper is also very great, but with this Casio, I would like to prefer something another, maybe some arranger workstations from Yamaha.
You can contact me and We'll find solution.

Mohammadreza Rashad

Maybe when connected, recognized as MIDI input device.
About your second questions, QWS has MIDI-compatible effects such as
reverb and chorus. You can study QWS help for mor info in RTF format
from http://www.andrelouis.com/qws/pub/qwshelp.zip.
Best wishes,
Mohammadreza

John Wilson <j.wilson07@...>

Is there anything equivalent to QWS but for standard interfaced electric and electro-acoustic guitars?

John.

On 8/04/2017 6:33 p.m., Ame wrote:
Hi all!

I have a nice Casio keyboard and it’s got a USB port on it. Never seen one like it. I’d love to start creating some music so I was looking at sequencer software. I found a list of free and open source programs and wondered if anybody had any recommendations. I can’t afford to buy anything right now so I’m hoping one of these programs will provide what I need. The list this site gives begins with the one they recommend most highly. I’ve not heard of any of them. There’s LMMS, Hydrogen, temper and DarkWave Studio. Is anyone familiar with any of these or perhaps other programs that do a good job and, of course, will work with NVDA? Any feedback I receive will be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Ame

Simon Jaeger

Hi,

Reading the whole thread, and I'll respond to a few things here:

1. Definitely recommend QWS. It's well-documented and is a great midi sequencer. Aside from that, Reaper and Osara are quite good, and Reaper has a cheap non-commercial license.

2. You need a midi-to-USB converter before you can get the MIDI data into your computer. Check out Amazon for this.

3. If you actually want to record the resulting audio of the keyboard, you'll need recording software like audacity, and a way to plug the keyboard's audio output into the computer. You could record the individual tracks and add effects to them this way. But remember that midi is only note data, so anything you compose on your keyboard has to be played either through the keyboard or through a midi synthesizer on Windows. The one that ships with Windows is pretty bad quality, and has a very noticeable delay between the time a note is sent and the time it actually plays. On some hardware it's also off key.

So, your first step is probably getting aMIDI box that plugs into the computer. Alternatively, you could just plug the keyboard into a line-in jack on the computer and record using Audacity, but you'd lose the ability to edit individual notes after recording them. If your computer does not have a line-in jack, you could try this audio interface plus an eighth-inch to RCA cable, for getting a stereo signal from your keyboard to the computer:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-BEHRINGER-U-CONTROL/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491692922&sr=8-1&keywords=behringer+202

Unfortunately, you are probably not going to find an easy way to do midi sequencing without spending some money to get a midi interface.

Hope this helps,

Simon

On 2017-04-07 23:33, Ame wrote:
Hi all!

I have a nice Casio keyboard and it’s got a USB port on it.  Never seen one like it.  I’d love to start creating some music so I was looking at sequencer software.  I found a list of free and open source programs and wondered if anybody had any recommendations.  I can’t afford to buy anything right now so I’m hoping one of these programs will provide what I need.  The list this site gives begins with the one they recommend most highly.  I’ve not heard of any of them.  There’s  LMMS, Hydrogen, temper and DarkWave Studio.  Is anyone familiar with any of these or perhaps other programs that do a good job and, of course, will work with NVDA?  Any feedback I receive will be appreciated.  Thanks so much.

Ame

Simon Jaeger

I forgot to add that your keyboard probably supports some effects natively (at the very least, reverb and chorus). You have 16 channels of midi to work with, which means you can have 16 tracks playing simultaneously with different sounds, volumes, stereo panning, and effect settings. Eventually, you may want to look into using Reaper and some VST instruments. You'll play notes on your keyboard and they'll be sent to the instruments using MIDI. Casio keyboards are good, but their sounds (particularly the pianos) are often a lot lower quality than some of the free plug-ins available on Windows.

On 2017-04-07 23:33, Ame wrote:
Hi all!

I have a nice Casio keyboard and it’s got a USB port on it.  Never seen one like it.  I’d love to start creating some music so I was looking at sequencer software.  I found a list of free and open source programs and wondered if anybody had any recommendations.  I can’t afford to buy anything right now so I’m hoping one of these programs will provide what I need.  The list this site gives begins with the one they recommend most highly.  I’ve not heard of any of them.  There’s  LMMS, Hydrogen, temper and DarkWave Studio.  Is anyone familiar with any of these or perhaps other programs that do a good job and, of course, will work with NVDA?  Any feedback I receive will be appreciated.  Thanks so much.

Ame

Michelle's Home Emails

Hi

Try Dancingdots they have various programs and information perhaps you could take a look at dancingdots website.

Kind wishes
Michelle

Sent from my iPhone

On 2017-04-07 23:33, Ame wrote:
Hi all!

I have a nice Casio keyboard and it’s got a USB port on it.  Never seen one like it.  I’d love to start creating some music so I was looking at sequencer software.  I found a list of free and open source programs and wondered if anybody had any recommendations.  I can’t afford to buy anything right now so I’m hoping one of these programs will provide what I need.  The list this site gives begins with the one they recommend most highly.  I’ve not heard of any of them.  There’s  LMMS, Hydrogen, temper and DarkWave Studio.  Is anyone familiar with any of these or perhaps other programs that do a good job and, of course, will work with NVDA?  Any feedback I receive will be appreciated.  Thanks so much.

Ame

Lino Morales

Try Reeper for Windows. Its a sharware program and works well with NVDA and the Osara pluggin NV Access produced. From what I understand Reeper by itself won't work. Have fun and let me know when you release your first album.