need accessible OCR software for scanning books and printed materials

tsengel

hello Lister

i use NVDA and i need to scan printed books and materials
so if you have any accessible OCR software solution
please let me know and help
i have only abby-Fine-Reader version 12
you have other accessible software please share to my works
and I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give me some feedback on
regards
M. Tsengel

Might I ask what scanner or multi-function machine you will be using to scan with?  A very great many have OCR processing built-in to their scanner software and some of that can be quite accessible.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

David Tanner

I would recommend K in FB reader for windows 10. I have used it many times with NVDA very successfully.

David Tanner

From my iPhone 7

On Apr 10, 2017, at 4:59 PM, tsengel <tsengel.screen.reader@gmail.com> wrote:

hello Lister

i use NVDA and i need to scan printed books and materials
so if you have any accessible OCR software solution
please let me know and help
i have only abby-Fine-Reader version 12
you have other accessible software please share to my works
and I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give me some feedback on
regards
M. Tsengel

Though it is now 100 bucks now.

I got it on the first release special and its now linked to my ms account and perminantly mine.

I don't need it actually but when I saw the add well I decided there and then I'd get and link it for when I do.

On 11/04/2017 12:39 p.m., David Tanner wrote:
I would recommend K in FB reader for windows 10. I have used it many times with NVDA very successfully.

David Tanner

From my iPhone 7
On Apr 10, 2017, at 4:59 PM, tsengel <tsengel.screen.reader@gmail.com> wrote:

hello Lister

i use NVDA and i need to scan printed books and materials
so if you have any accessible OCR software solution
please let me know and help
i have only abby-Fine-Reader version 12
you have other accessible software please share to my works
and I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give me some feedback on
regards
M. Tsengel

Alexander Masic

But wat's wrong with Abbyy? In my opinion it works fine. particulary if you scan in to Microsoft word. You can purchase KNFB reader, but only if you have windows 10, not below that, It has limited support for other languages. hehe surprisely Swedish is one of them, regulary we always have to wait.

If i want scan something in to word, i am stil using Abbyy finereader, find it mor convinient, but check something i use knfb reader.

Den 2017-04-11 kl. 02:44, skrev Shaun Everiss:

Though it is now 100 bucks now.

I got it on the first release special and its now linked to my ms account and perminantly mine.

I don't need it actually but when I saw the add well I decided there and then I'd get and link it for when I do.

On 11/04/2017 12:39 p.m., David Tanner wrote:
I would recommend K in FB reader for windows 10. I have used it many times with NVDA very successfully.

David Tanner

From my iPhone 7
On Apr 10, 2017, at 4:59 PM, tsengel <tsengel.screen.reader@gmail.com> wrote:

hello Lister

i use NVDA and i need to scan printed books and materials
so if you have any accessible OCR software solution
please let me know and help
i have only abby-Fine-Reader version 12
you have other accessible software please share to my works
and I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give me some feedback on
regards
M. Tsengel

Yes I have abbyy fine reader 14 standard.

It is one of the cheapest desktop scanners round, omnipage costs a bundle, and the things like k1000 cost a really large bundle though they are nice.

When I was in school and on the school network one of my friends gave me a cracked coppy of k1000 which I used on a lot of things back in the xp days.

But I'd have to get my own later on and it wasn't worth doing or using it.

Sadly abyy costs almost as much to upgrade as it does to buy but oh well.

On 11/04/2017 2:46 p.m., Alexander Masic wrote:
[...]

From my iPhone 7
On Apr 10, 2017, at 4:59 PM, tsengel <tsengel.screen.reader@gmail.com> wrote:

hello Lister

i use NVDA and i need to scan printed books and materials
so if you have any accessible OCR software solution
please let me know and help
i have only abby-Fine-Reader version 12
you have other accessible software please share to my works
and I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give me some feedback on
regards
M. Tsengel

On that note I just checked the subject of this message.

If you need this thing to scan books, and things for school and or university or a job then you can get funding.

If you can get funding, k1000 is worth it in my opinion of using it in an alegal form for a number of years, I just can't justify the 2-3 grand I'd have to fork out for a ocr/ braille translater/scanner package.

But if you are getting funded, I'd go for something like this.

Either that or abbyy enterprise or the latest omnipage or paperport.

The only reason I went for abbyy was that I am now a home user.

k1000 uses both abbyy and omnipage developer engines but its just to deer for me though it is what I want.

On 11/04/2017 2:56 p.m., Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

From my iPhone 7
On Apr 10, 2017, at 4:59 PM, tsengel <tsengel.screen.reader@gmail.com> wrote:

hello Lister

i use NVDA and i need to scan printed books and materials
so if you have any accessible OCR software solution
please let me know and help
i have only abby-Fine-Reader version 12
you have other accessible software please share to my works
and I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give me some feedback on
regards
M. Tsengel

Gene

I would expect that the version of Fine Reader you are using can be used with NVDA.  I have an old version, probably older than yours.  Your version may have more capabilities than mine and have different options.  But in mine, and my impression is that in general, if you aren't scanning directly into Microsoft Word, you can scan a page, then copy and paste it into another program.  I use Notepad.  Then the page can be read in Notepad and you can paste as many pages as you like in and let them accumulate before reading them.  Unless you want to spend money to upgrade, I suspect that what you have now is better than any free options.

Sent: Monday, April 10, 2017 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] need accessible OCR software for scanning books and printed materials

Might I ask what scanner or multi-function machine you will be using to scan with?  A very great many have OCR processing built-in to their scanner software and some of that can be quite accessible.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Ann Byrne

knfb reader Reader is $100, and works on PC's.

At 04:59 PM 4/10/2017, you wrote:
hello Lister

i use NVDA and i need to scan printed books and materials
so if you have any accessible OCR software solution
please let me know and help
i have only abby-Fine-Reader version 12
you have other accessible software please share to my works
and I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give me some feedback on
regards
M. Tsengel

Rui Fontes

By the way, KNFB Reader works with scanners?

Rui

At 04:59 PM 4/10/2017, you wrote:
hello Lister

i use NVDA and i need to scan printed books and materials
so if you have any accessible OCR software solution
please let me know and help
i have only abby-Fine-Reader version 12
you have other accessible software please share to my works
and I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give me some feedback on
regards
M. Tsengel

Ryan Mann <rmann0581@...>

Yes, KNFB Reader works with any scanner that is installed on your computer.

Sent from my iPhone

-----Mensagem Original----- De: Ann Byrne

Data: 11 de abril de 2017 12:20
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io

At 04:59 PM 4/10/2017, you wrote:
hello Lister

i use NVDA and i need to scan printed books and materials
so if you have any accessible OCR software solution
please let me know and help
i have only abby-Fine-Reader version 12
you have other accessible software please share to my works
and I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give me some feedback on
regards
M. Tsengel

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Interestingly, I even installed Office XP and its tools onto a windows 7 machine and the OCr works fine with the cannoscan scanner and some other scanners as well. Nothing is ever prefect, obviously.
I have been very impressed though with both android and Iphone KNFB reader as a quick solution to reading printed text.
I do not know what engine it uses, but my friends seem to fine it almost instant, and although its not free its not mega expensive and there is now a version out for Windows 10 apparently, though Not actually tried it, I'd imagine it has to be accessible.
Also the podcasts seem to be saying that you can have copies on mobile devices and windows for a one off price.
Something to look into.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.