Intro and help needed

Brandt Steenkamp <brandt.steenkamp@...>

Hi there folks,

I am a relative new-comer to NVDA, though I am familiar with most of the other screen Readers out there.

I find myself with an interesting issue, namely that my DoubleTalk LT, connected via a Serial to USB adapter does not want to connect to NVDA, and when it does, it talks gibberish. Any help on this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks so long.a

--

Warm regards,

Brandt Steenkamp

Sent from Thunderbird

Contact me:

Phone: +27605259181

Email: Here

Twitter: @brandtsteenkamp

Tyler Spivey

Make sure the baud rate in the addon and the Doubletalk match.
Taking the addon from Jeff's site, on line 74 of doubletalk.py we have:

port = serial.serial_for_url(PORT, 12000)

I don't know why it's set to 12000. Try changing it to 9600.

On 4/11/2017 12:41 PM, Brandt Steenkamp wrote:
Hi there folks,

I am a relative new-comer to NVDA, though I am familiar with most of the
other screen Readers out there.

I find myself with an interesting issue, namely that my DoubleTalk LT,
connected via a Serial to USB adapter does not want to connect to NVDA,
and when it does, it talks gibberish. Any help on this issue would be
much appreciated.

Thanks so long.a

--

Warm regards,

Brandt Steenkamp

Sent from Thunderbird

Contact me:

Phone: +27605259181 <calto://+27605259181/>

Email: Here <mailto:brandt.steenkamp@gmail.com>

Twitter: @brandtsteenkamp <http://www.twitter.com/brandtsteenkamp>

Brandt Steenkamp <brandt.steenkamp@...>

How would I go about doing this?

On 4/12/2017 2:44 AM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
[...]

OK, ignore my previous reply. Fixed the {port = serial.serial_for_url(PORT, 12000)} line in the code. Now I am getting extraneous crap before the Doubletalk actually gets to the point.

Is there anything in the code that would help with this? I am no programmer!

[...]

Jacob Kruger

Brandt, to get to the add-ons under an installed version of NVDA, I find simplest method is windows key + R, type in %appData% and hit enter, in that folder, look for NVDA, and, under that, look for addons folder, and, there you should fine a sub-folder per add-on, and, in it's appmodules sub-folder, you should find the .py file he's referring to, which is a form of python source code text file.

HTH

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
On 2017-04-12 11:44, Brandt Steenkamp wrote:

[...]

Hi, thanks

I went a different root though. I modified the downloaded package and reinstalled. When everything is fixed on my end I will hand it back to the original author for publication.

On 2017-04-12 11:44, Brandt Steenkamp wrote:

[...]

Cool - as long as you can get it working/sorted.

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2017-04-12 11:44, Brandt Steenkamp wrote:

[...]

I am looking at the code for anything that doesn't make sense, and honestly, as a human with 0 ability in programming, I hope for the best.

On 2017-04-12 11:44, Brandt Steenkamp wrote:

[...]

This code is forcing the volume and a few other parameters, independent of what you set. Let's clear those.
Right near line 96, it says:

_bgExec(serialQueue, bgWrite, '\x013a\x012x\x017v'+text+'\r')

Change it to:

_bgExec(serialQueue, bgWrite, text+'\r')

Keep the indent, and see what that does.
That should fix it some. If it still says extra stuff, what does it say and when?

I don't have a Doubletalk; if I did, this would be easier. The command strings look right though.

On 4/12/2017 2:56 AM, Brandt Steenkamp wrote:
[...]

This is already a lot better, not completely correct yet, but blooming close.

Would it help if we talk using Skype?

Just mail me off list if you are willing.