this NVDA error is driving me nuts!

ken lawrence

Hi NVDA user have tried to get an answer to this and nothing it is driving me crazy.  this morning while still using jaws before switching to NVDA I checked out an item on blind bargains.  I finished all I needed to finish, and now am on NVDA I went to that item on blind bargains again, wanting to review it one more time.  it was a primer on the windows 10 creaters update.  I’m going to call the microsoft answer desk in a moment and have some help with that update.  however when I clicked the link in the blind bargains email to read that item again instead of bringing up chrome to read the document, I see an error message Internet explorer is coming up saying address not valid this is NVDA any time I go to an item on a link in an email, close that down and do something else maybe on a different browser like firefox, then return to that previous thing it won’t bring up chrome which is my default. I get that not valid message and internet explorer is coming up with it.  internet explorer has nothing to do with it it’s not my default and this only happens on NVDA to correct this I have to reboot. why is NVDA not able to bring up my default browser after I have done something else somewhere else.  I’m going to have to either reboot to reread that item or do this blindly.  does anyone know why this happens.  internet explorer is my least used and least favorite browser and should have absolutely nothing to do with it.  and again it is an NVDA error.

What operating system and version of NVDA are you using, and that's for starters.  The web addresses that are giving the problems wouldn't hurt, either.

You've not provided enough information for an error like this to give guidance with any confidence.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

NVDA has nothing to do with which browser is launched as far as ican see. It is dictated by the file associations in windows, which file types and links are opened by which browser if its not your default. are you saying that doing exactly the same thing in Jaws does not have this effect. I'd be very sceptical about this myself unless its jaws which is doing the altering to the browser and not NVDA.
We would need to know all the details of the operating system and which versions of which browsers were installed and exact steps to reproduce the effect you get.
The only time I've seen other browsers open is.
If a link is clicked in that other browser first.
If a program is configured to use a different browser, such as for example the file hippo utility or Microsoft windows update in XP which will always use Internet Explorer.

Occasionally, a particular web page can be configured to send a command to another program, such as when it needs flash or something, but its not often I've seen this re launch a different browser. Of course Itunes in Windows has its own heap of rubbish that accesses the internet as do other bits of software, some of these are based on Internet Explorer.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Gene

We'll see how this develops.  I've seen the same complaint once or twice before and I don't remember how or if it was resolved.  NVDA wouldn't be expected to have anything to do with the problem but I don't rule out the possibility of odd behavior when dealing with Windows and Windows programs in odd cases.  Very low probability things might occur very rarely.

Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] this NVDA error is driving me nuts!

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
[...]

I think Microsoft needs to offer counselling after some of the traumas it puts its users through, personally..f grin. I thought he said it was Windows 1o, which has this strange way of allowing browsers to be default for some bits but not others I notice. As if life were not complicated enough.

--
*Brian*

* * *The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.*

* ~ Dorothy Nevill*

**

Gene

There are very specific things, such as showing Cortana (spelling) results, that are done in Edge and Edge only.  There is no other restriction on what the default browser opens.  And there certainly isn't any behavior giving preference to Internet Explorer which is available but depricated.

What operating system and version of NVDA are you using, and that's for
starters. The web addresses that are giving the problems wouldn't hurt,
either.

You've not provided enough information for an error like this to give
guidance with any confidence.

--
*Brian*

* * *The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the
right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.*

* ~ Dorothy Nevill*

**

Again I agree with you.

Just to get this box going.

1. reinstall default image.

2. remove with sight bloat.

3. install every update known to man.

4. stay up half the night because of issues during update.

5. install and configure all programs including fixing stuff that didn't work.

6. install or put in data.

7 download shares and get back to normal.

Step 7 is still ongoing though I am back to normal.

The hardest steps were the first 2 with the updating part the most crazy I have ever had to bother with.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com>
What operating system and version of NVDA are you using, and that's for starters. The web addresses that are giving the problems wouldn't hurt, either.

You've not provided enough information for an error like this to give guidance with any confidence.

--
*Brian*

* * *The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.*

* ~ Dorothy Nevill*

**

.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

No but it can be easily done in third party software, and then you start to see the would you like to make browser xx you default messages which are all too easy to say yesto accidentally.