Topics

Tweeking NVDA voices and function

Fantasy Sports <fantasylife@...>

Hello group, I've returned.

I ended up trying out NVDA and came back here for some advice and help.

I have a few questions about it:

1. I've noticed it speaks very fast, too fast for me to understand what
it is saying. Is there a way to change how fast it speaks, or will
this automatically change when you buy a new voice for it?

2. It appears to read just one single line at a time, based on where the
mouse is. Is there a way to make it read entire paragraphs at a time,
or to hi-lite paragraphs for it to read? Or to make it read everything
below a certain point on the screen, for multiple paragraphs?

3. It doesn't seem to work very well for Chrome browsers, it has trouble
reading just about everything that is in the Chrome browser actually. Is
there a way to fix this?

4. I am choosing the "continue running" option, instead of installing.
Will this effect my ability to tweek the program?

Thank you, I know its a lot of questions :)

Gene

It shouldn't speak quickly by default.  If you installed it earlier and made it speak quickly, this may affect how it is speaking now but I don't know.  There are various ways of slowing speech.  One way is to use the keyboard command NVDA key control v.  By default, the NVDA key is either insert.  Hold either insert and control and type v.  That opens the voice dialog.  By  sight, I assume you will see a slider to change the rate of speech. 

If you don't install NVDA or create a portable version, no settings you make may be kept.  When you use the continue running option, you are actually running it as though it were a portable version without creating a portable version.  To save settings, you should do one or the other.

You are using NVDA with a mouse, as I understand your message.  I don't know how or if you can do any of the things you want to do.  NVDA is intended to be used with the keyboard and, as I understand it, the mouse support is not a substitute for this and probably has very limited functionality.  In addition, using a browser that supports browse mode may mean that what you would normally do using sight and a mouse may not work as expected.  There is a command in NVDA, speak to end.  You can place the cursor where you want it and read as far as you want, then stop reading with the control key.  The command is NVDA key, otherwise by default either insert, and down arrow. 

Others may have more information or may know how to do what you want with a mouse.  I don't know if it's possible.  Chrome works well with NVDA but as you are using it, with a mouse only, it may not.  As I said, N
NVDA is intended to be used with the keyboard except for certain specific uses with a mouse.

Have you spoken or contacted groups or individuals who use speech but can see for such problems as dyslexia?  I still very much question whether a screen-reader is the proper solution. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 4:20 PM
Subject: [nvda] Tweeking NVDA voices and function

it is saying.  Is there a way to change how fast it speaks, or will

mouse is.  Is there a way to make it read entire paragraphs at a time,
or to hi-lite paragraphs for it to read?  Or to make it read everything

reading just about everything that is in the Chrome browser actually.  Is
there a way to fix this?

Thank you Gene.

I do think a program like this is appropriate for my disability.
I do have a severe cognitive impairment, and need a lot of
if not all the text read to me.  

This program seems to work well, except that the voices
it comes with are tough to understand.

I went to the link to buy voices, but the link fails to load:

http://www.vocalizer-nvda.com/en

Clearly the mouse doesn't work very well, so I will need to
also learn how to navigate with the keyboard.  Is it
easy to learn?  Right now I'm not sure how to.

Thanks,
Paul

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Apr 14, 2017 4:41 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Tweeking NVDA voices and function

It shouldn't speak quickly by default.  If you installed it earlier and made it speak quickly, this may affect how it is speaking now but I don't know.  There are various ways of slowing speech.  One way is to use the keyboard command NVDA key control v.  By default, the NVDA key is either insert.  Hold either insert and control and type v.  That opens the voice dialog.  By  sight, I assume you will see a slider to change the rate of speech. 

If you don't install NVDA or create a portable version, no settings you make may be kept.  When you use the continue running option, you are actually running it as though it were a portable version without creating a portable version.  To save settings, you should do one or the other.

You are using NVDA with a mouse, as I understand your message.  I don't know how or if you can do any of the things you want to do.  NVDA is intended to be used with the keyboard and, as I understand it, the mouse support is not a substitute for this and probably has very limited functionality.  In addition, using a browser that supports browse mode may mean that what you would normally do using sight and a mouse may not work as expected.  There is a command in NVDA, speak to end.  You can place the cursor where you want it and read as far as you want, then stop reading with the control key.  The command is NVDA key, otherwise by default either insert, and down arrow. 

Others may have more information or may know how to do what you want with a mouse.  I don't know if it's possible.  Chrome works well with NVDA but as you are using it, with a mouse only, it may not.  As I said, N
NVDA is intended to be used with the keyboard except for certain specific uses with a mouse.

Have you spoken or contacted groups or individuals who use speech but can see for such problems as dyslexia?  I still very much question whether a screen-reader is the proper solution. 

Gene

there a way to fix this?

Can't find seem to find the command for SPEAK TO END.

Also, have been doing a lot of experimenting with INSERT
and the down arrows, but some documents which have
no cursor on the screen don't respond to that.

Gene

there a way to fix this?

Paul,

Presuming you install the program, so that your settings changes are saved, many of the things you ask about can be done.

It would be really helpful to know what version of Windows you're running under and what programs you're trying to use NVDA with in order to be more specific in guidance.

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 02:26 pm, Fantasy Sports wrote:

this automatically change when you buy a new voice for it.

If you happen to be running under Windows 10, and your purpose for using NVDA is primarily to have things read to you so that you can listen rather than trying to read them yourself, I would strongly suggest that you change your synthesizer to Microsoft Speech API-5 and your Voice to one of the two that are built into Windows 10 for SAPI-5, David for male voice and Zira for female.  I am presuming you know how to right click on the NVDA icon in the system tray to cause the NVDA menu to come up.  Both of the above settings fall under the Preferences menu.  Synthesizer is under synthesizer and voice is under voice.  The first slider in the Voice dialog is rate.  You can use this to increase or decrease the speech rate, and this is true whatever synthesizer and voice combination you happen to be using.

So far in my playing with this the answer depends on the program, but someone who uses NVDA as their primary access method may be able to answer the following question for me, which will help me help you if there is a way:   How does one route the system caret to the mouse position when you're in a web browser?

When I'm in Microsoft Word, for example, I can easily achieve your goal of getting focus to where the mouse is and to continue reading from there.  After I've heard NVDA give the voice output for the line over which it is hovering I can simply click the mouse and the system carat is there (or close to it if I bumped it slightly).  I can get NVDA to Say All from that point by hitting INS+Down Arrow since I'm using the desktop keyboard layout.  It will do exactly what one would expect, keep reading from that point.   However, when I'm in a web browser (and it doesn't matter which one)  the behavior is quite different.  If I'm reading this group on Groups.io, for instance, as I run the mouse down the page it will read the line over which I'm hovering, but when I click it does not move the system caret to that point like it does in Word.  I've also tried the "navigate to the object under the mouse" command, which causes the same text I just heard during hover over to be repeated, but the system carat doesn't move and neither, it seems, does what NVDA has focus on because I generally seem to still have focus on a link at the top of the page that's outside the area that I'm hovering over entirely.  I just cannot seem to figure out how to force the system caret to the mouse location via NVDA and the usual sighted way of clicking where my mouse pointer indicates I am isn't doing it either.

there a way to fix this?

It's not just for Chrome but the problem is more related to mouse-based use than keyboard based use.  One thing you might want to try is hitting INS+F7, and when the NVDA elements dialog comes up select the Headings radio button to see the various headings in the webpage.  You can then jump to various spots on the page quite easily and have NVDA start reading from there.  This only works, of course, on pages that are coded with headings but that's an awful lot of pages.

I'm still trying to figure out a fast and efficient method to read the online archive for any Groups.io group with a screen reader.  It's taking longer than I had expected!

There are definite differences in the way someone who's sighted would use screen readers than their target audience does.

--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 03:36 pm, Fantasy Sports wrote:
some documents which have no cursor on the screen don't respond to that.

Can you give an example, if its something outside a web browser, of what you're talking about?  I can try to see what I can do with it, if anything.
--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

I'm not sure how much you can do with the mouse and how much with the keyboard.  I'll let others discuss that. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 5:22 PM

Thank you Gene.

I do think a program like this is appropriate for my disability.
I do have a severe cognitive impairment, and need a lot of
if not all the text read to me.  

This program seems to work well, except that the voices
it comes with are tough to understand.

I went to the link to buy voices, but the link fails to load:

Clearly the mouse doesn't work very well, so I will need to
also learn how to navigate with the keyboard.  Is it
easy to learn?  Right now I'm not sure how to.

Thanks,
Paul

Gene

there a way to fix this?

Gene

I don't know what programs you are using.  If you want to use NVDA, you may need something like Skipe discussions and instruction in real time, perhaps from a sighted person who is familiar with using NVDA.

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 5:36 PM

Can't find seem to find the command for SPEAK TO END.

Also, have been doing a lot of experimenting with INSERT
and the down arrows, but some documents which have
no cursor on the screen don't respond to that.

Gene

there a way to fix this?

I'm probably just doing it wrong, I am still new to this software.

I'm sure it is nothing wrong with the program itself.

Gene mentioned something about hitting arrow keys
and insert keys, but I don't think I'm doing it right
when faced with a web page.

It is easier when there is a flashing cursor on screen,
as in now, when I'm writing an email.

Sent: Apr 14, 2017 6:08 PM

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 03:36 pm, Fantasy Sports wrote:
some documents which have no cursor on the screen don't respond to that.

Can you give an example, if its something outside a web browser, of what you're talking about?  I can try to see what I can do with it, if anything.
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

I think it would be a good idea for me to watch some tutorial videos on youtube
before I ask more questions.

It might simply be that I don't understand how to navigate a web page with
this program.  I'm using Chrome browser.

However, my concern about the voices is valid.

The link to buy new voices on your NV Access website seems to be a broken
link.

Also, someone mentioned on youtube that it costs $100 to buy these voices,
is there a way to only buy one voice for less?

Thank you for the help.
Paul

Sent: Apr 14, 2017 6:07 PM

Paul,

Presuming you install the program, so that your settings changes are saved, many of the things you ask about can be done.

It would be really helpful to know what version of Windows you're running under and what programs you're trying to use NVDA with in order to be more specific in guidance.

If you happen to be running under Windows 10, and your purpose for using NVDA is primarily to have things read to you so that you can listen rather than trying to read them yourself, I would strongly suggest that you change your synthesizer to Microsoft Speech API-5 and your Voice to one of the two that are built into Windows 10 for SAPI-5, David for male voice and Zira for female.  I am presuming you know how to right click on the NVDA icon in the system tray to cause the NVDA menu to come up.  Both of the above settings fall under the Preferences menu.  Synthesizer is under synthesizer and voice is under voice.  The first slider in the Voice dialog is rate.  You can use this to increase or decrease the speech rate, and this is true whatever synthesizer and voice combination you happen to be using.

So far in my playing with this the answer depends on the program, but someone who uses NVDA as their primary access method may be able to answer the following question for me, which will help me help you if there is a way:   How does one route the system caret to the mouse position when you're in a web browser?

When I'm in Microsoft Word, for example, I can easily achieve your goal of getting focus to where the mouse is and to continue reading from there.  After I've heard NVDA give the voice output for the line over which it is hovering I can simply click the mouse and the system carat is there (or close to it if I bumped it slightly).  I can get NVDA to Say All from that point by hitting INS+Down Arrow since I'm using the desktop keyboard layout.  It will do exactly what one would expect, keep reading from that point.   However, when I'm in a web browser (and it doesn't matter which one)  the behavior is quite different.  If I'm reading this group on Groups.io, for instance, as I run the mouse down the page it will read the line over which I'm hovering, but when I click it does not move the system caret to that point like it does in Word.  I've also tried the "navigate to the object under the mouse" command, which causes the same text I just heard during hover over to be repeated, but the system carat doesn't move and neither, it seems, does what NVDA has focus on because I generally seem to still have focus on a link at the top of the page that's outside the area that I'm hovering over entirely.  I just cannot seem to figure out how to force the system caret to the mouse location via NVDA and the usual sighted way of clicking where my mouse pointer indicates I am isn't doing it either.

there a way to fix this?

It's not just for Chrome but the problem is more related to mouse-based use than keyboard based use.  One thing you might want to try is hitting INS+F7, and when the NVDA elements dialog comes up select the Headings radio button to see the various headings in the webpage.  You can then jump to various spots on the page quite easily and have NVDA start reading from there.  This only works, of course, on pages that are coded with headings but that's an awful lot of pages.

I'm still trying to figure out a fast and efficient method to read the online archive for any Groups.io group with a screen reader.  It's taking longer than I had expected!

There are definite differences in the way someone who's sighted would use screen readers than their target audience does.

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

Have you looked into applications for people with deslexia? (spelling)  Have you joined anything like e-mail lists, I presume there are such, for dyslexics? 

I don't know what it's like for a sighted person to use a web page with NVDA.  they could learn to use the keyboard but that may be a lot of unnecessary work.

there are lots of sighted people, such as Dyslexics who use programs not developed for blind people and if you haven't inquired about those, you may very well be going down a much more difficult track than necessary.  I don't know what you have done but here is a sample of what I'm talking about.

Here is an article discussing some of these programs.

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 6:54 PM

link.

Thank you for the help.
Paul

Paul,

there a way to fix this?

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Perhaps there might be easier software, perhaps I'm using the wrong tool for the job.

However, from the amount that I've used this NVDA software so far, it does seem to
do exactly what I need.

I really just need to learn how to navigate with the keyboard.

Can you please tell me what the command is to make it read an entire paragraph.

You mentioned READ TILL END, or some such command, but I can't find that
in the menu options anywhere.

Thank you for your help.
Paul

Sent: Apr 14, 2017 7:01 PM

Have you looked into applications for people with deslexia? (spelling)  Have you joined anything like e-mail lists, I presume there are such, for dyslexics? 

I don't know what it's like for a sighted person to use a web page with NVDA.  they could learn to use the keyboard but that may be a lot of unnecessary work.

there are lots of sighted people, such as Dyslexics who use programs not developed for blind people and if you haven't inquired about those, you may very well be going down a much more difficult track than necessary.  I don't know what you have done but here is a sample of what I'm talking about.

Gene

link.

Thank you for the help.
Paul

Paul,

there a way to fix this?

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

There is no read paragraph command.  On a web page, I don't know what happens if you move the mouse to someplace where you want to start reading and click.  It is my recollection that in a document in a word processor, that moves the cursor to where you clicked and you could start reading from there.  But on a web page, I don't know if NVDA would move to that place on a web page.

As I said, read to end is insert and down arrow.  Hold either insert and press down arrow on the main keyboard.  Stop reading with control.

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 7:34 PM

Perhaps there might be easier software, perhaps I'm using the wrong tool for the job.

However, from the amount that I've used this NVDA software so far, it does seem to
do exactly what I need.

Thank you for your help.
Paul

Gene

link.

Thank you for the help.
Paul

Paul,

there a way to fix this?

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

I need to correct an important point.  I said there is no read by paragraph command but that is not correct.  Control down arrow will move to the next paragraph and read it.  Then issuing control down arrow again will move to the next paragraph and read it.  Control up arrow moves to the previous paragraph and reads it. 

I thought that these commands moved you but didn't read much but I checked to be sure and they do read the paragraph you move to.

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 7:49 PM

There is no read paragraph command.  On a web page, I don't know what happens if you move the mouse to someplace where you want to start reading and click.  It is my recollection that in a document in a word processor, that moves the cursor to where you clicked and you could start reading from there.  But on a web page, I don't know if NVDA would move to that place on a web page.

As I said, read to end is insert and down arrow.  Hold either insert and press down arrow on the main keyboard.  Stop reading with control.

Gene

do exactly what I need.

Thank you for your help.
Paul

Gene

link.

Thank you for the help.
Paul

Paul,

there a way to fix this?

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

hi

Are you using a desk top computer or a lap top? Depending how it is set
is what command you will need to use in it to do say all. this will read
from what is in the position where the carrot is down the page.

5.3. Navigating with the System Caret
When an object that allows navigation and/or editing of text is focused,
you can move through the text using the system caret, also known as the
edit cursor.
When the focus is on an object that has the system caret, you can use
the arrow keys, page up, page down, home, end, etc. to move through the
text. You can also change the text if the control supports editing. NVDA
will announce as you move by character, word and line, and will also
announce as you select and unselect text.
NVDA provides the following key commands in relation to the system caret:
Name
Desktop key
Laptop key
Description
Say all
NVDA+downArrow
NVDA+a
Starts reading from the current position of the system caret, moving it
along as it goes

To slow down or speed up your voice in NVDA you can go to the voice
settings in NVDA.

us e the nvda key + ctrl key + the letter V

when the voice settings dialogue comes up use the tab key until you hear
nvda say rate. You can use the left arrow key to make the voice go
slower or the right arrow key to make it go faster. Then after set go to
the ok button down the bottom

The idea with the say all command is that it will read what is on the page.

but if you are more of a mouse user and move the mouse nvda say all
command will stop.

You can configure what is read under the mouse you will need to go into
the mouse settings in nvda.

use the NVDA key + CTRL key + the letter M

When this dialogue comes up you can check under the following areas.

Under the Text unit resolution: paragraph section there is a combo box.

There you can get it to do it by character, word sentence or paragraph
if i remember right. change it to what you want.

Web pages are alot more tricker so maybe learning the single letter
navigation keys might help there or dropping down what it reas on the web.

But say in word it will be alot better depending how you have it set.

As soon as you touch the keyboard it will change the focus from the
mouse to what is been spoken. for example press the alt key then the
focus say in word will then go to the file menu.

By the way where i refer to the nvda key this is a modifier key which
can either be the insert key the extended insert key or the caps lock
key. You would use one of these say to turn off nvda. for example the
insert key + letter Q

There is a focus high lighter add on you can get which will show what is
been read on the page but will have to be install from the add on web site.

I will have to read the other messages and see if i covered them.

gene nz

On 15/04/2017 9:20 AM, Fantasy Sports wrote:

there a way to fix this?

Rosemarie Chavarria

Control down-arrow reads an entire paragraph. Control up-arrow reads the previous paragraph.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Fantasy Sports
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 5:35 PM

do exactly what I need.

Thank you for your help.

Paul

Gene

link.

Thank you for the help.

Paul

Paul,

there a way to fix this?

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Okay, so from my experience so far, INSERT plus DOWN ARROW will read to the
end of the paragraph and even beyond that, to the end of the document.

I've had some success with this, seems to work pretty well.

Unfortunately, when I'm in text or word documents or files, hitting CONTROL plus DOWN ARROW
or other arrows is not doing anything at all.

Not sure why that is.  Maybe it is meant to work elsewhere.

Sent: Apr 14, 2017 7:54 PM

I need to correct an important point.  I said there is no read by paragraph command but that is not correct.  Control down arrow will move to the next paragraph and read it.  Then issuing control down arrow again will move to the next paragraph and read it.  Control up arrow moves to the previous paragraph and reads it. 

I thought that these commands moved you but didn't read much but I checked to be sure and they do read the paragraph you move to.

Gene

Gene

do exactly what I need.

Thank you for your help.
Paul

Gene

link.

Thank you for the help.
Paul

Paul,

there a way to fix this?

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Thank you for your help with these issues.

I am still looking for an answer to my question about
buying voices for NVDA.

I found the website about voices, its something
like vocalizer-nda.com, but not sure really how to
buy voices off that site.

In particular, I wanted to know if you can buy just
one or a few voices, rather then $100 on all
the voices.

Sent: Apr 15, 2017 3:03 PM

Control down-arrow reads an entire paragraph. Control up-arrow reads the previous paragraph.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Fantasy Sports

do exactly what I need.

Thank you for your help.

Paul

Gene

link.

Thank you for the help.

Paul

Paul,

there a way to fix this?

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

as far as i know there is only the one option and that is all. I have not heard any different.

Gene nz

On 16/04/2017 2:27 PM, Fantasy Sports wrote:
Thank you for your help with these issues.

I am still looking for an answer to my question about
buying voices for NVDA.

I found the website about voices, its something
like vocalizer-nda.com, but not sure really how to
buy voices off that site.

In particular, I wanted to know if you can buy just
one or a few voices, rather then $100 on all
the voices.

Sent: Apr 15, 2017 3:03 PM

do exactly what I need.

Thank you for your help.

Paul

Gene

link.

Thank you for the help.

Paul

Paul,

there a way to fix this?

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

I haven't used read by paragraph much.  In word processors using processor documents, it works.  I'm not sure what it does in Notepad.  And if you read a text document in a word processor, I'm not sure what it does.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, April 15, 2017 9:23 PM

Okay, so from my experience so far, INSERT plus DOWN ARROW will read to the
end of the paragraph and even beyond that, to the end of the document.

I've had some success with this, seems to work pretty well.

Unfortunately, when I'm in text or word documents or files, hitting CONTROL plus DOWN ARROW
or other arrows is not doing anything at all.

Not sure why that is.  Maybe it is meant to work elsewhere.

Sent: Apr 14, 2017 7:54 PM

Gene

Gene

do exactly what I need.

Thank you for your help.
Paul

Gene

link.

Thank you for the help.
Paul

Paul,

there a way to fix this?

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill