Topics

Tweeking NVDA voices and function

Fantasy Sports <fantasylife@...>

Hello group, I've returned.

I ended up trying out NVDA and came back here for some advice and help.

I have a few questions about it:

1. I've noticed it speaks very fast, too fast for me to understand what
it is saying. Is there a way to change how fast it speaks, or will
this automatically change when you buy a new voice for it?

2. It appears to read just one single line at a time, based on where the
mouse is. Is there a way to make it read entire paragraphs at a time,
or to hi-lite paragraphs for it to read? Or to make it read everything
below a certain point on the screen, for multiple paragraphs?

3. It doesn't seem to work very well for Chrome browsers, it has trouble
reading just about everything that is in the Chrome browser actually. Is
there a way to fix this?

4. I am choosing the "continue running" option, instead of installing.
Will this effect my ability to tweek the program?

Thank you, I know its a lot of questions :)

Gene

It shouldn't speak quickly by default.  If you installed it earlier and made it speak quickly, this may affect how it is speaking now but I don't know.  There are various ways of slowing speech.  One way is to use the keyboard command NVDA key control v.  By default, the NVDA key is either insert.  Hold either insert and control and type v.  That opens the voice dialog.  By  sight, I assume you will see a slider to change the rate of speech.

If you don't install NVDA or create a portable version, no settings you make may be kept.  When you use the continue running option, you are actually running it as though it were a portable version without creating a portable version.  To save settings, you should do one or the other.

You are using NVDA with a mouse, as I understand your message.  I don't know how or if you can do any of the things you want to do.  NVDA is intended to be used with the keyboard and, as I understand it, the mouse support is not a substitute for this and probably has very limited functionality.  In addition, using a browser that supports browse mode may mean that what you would normally do using sight and a mouse may not work as expected.  There is a command in NVDA, speak to end.  You can place the cursor where you want it and read as far as you want, then stop reading with the control key.  The command is NVDA key, otherwise by default either insert, and down arrow.

Others may have more information or may know how to do what you want with a mouse.  I don't know if it's possible.  Chrome works well with NVDA but as you are using it, with a mouse only, it may not.  As I said, N
NVDA is intended to be used with the keyboard except for certain specific uses with a mouse.

Have you spoken or contacted groups or individuals who use speech but can see for such problems as dyslexia?  I still very much question whether a screen-reader is the proper solution.

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 4:20 PM
Subject: [nvda] Tweeking NVDA voices and function

[...]

Thank you Gene.

I do think a program like this is appropriate for my disability.
I do have a severe cognitive impairment, and need a lot of
if not all the text read to me.

This program seems to work well, except that the voices
it comes with are tough to understand.

I went to the link to buy voices, but the link fails to load:

http://www.vocalizer-nvda.com/en

Clearly the mouse doesn't work very well, so I will need to
also learn how to navigate with the keyboard.  Is it
easy to learn?  Right now I'm not sure how to.

Thanks,
Paul

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 4:20 PM

[...]

Can't find seem to find the command for SPEAK TO END.

Also, have been doing a lot of experimenting with INSERT
and the down arrows, but some documents which have
no cursor on the screen don't respond to that.

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 4:20 PM

[...]

Paul,

          Presuming you install the program, so that your settings changes are saved, many of the things you ask about can be done.

          It would be really helpful to know what version of Windows you're running under and what programs you're trying to use NVDA with in order to be more specific in guidance.

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 02:26 pm, Fantasy Sports wrote:

1. I've noticed it speaks very fast, too fast for me to understand what
it is saying. Is there a way to change how fast it speaks, or will
this automatically change when you buy a new voice for it.

             If you happen to be running under Windows 10, and your purpose for using NVDA is primarily to have things read to you so that you can listen rather than trying to read them yourself, I would strongly suggest that you change your synthesizer to Microsoft Speech API-5 and your Voice to one of the two that are built into Windows 10 for SAPI-5, David for male voice and Zira for female.  I am presuming you know how to right click on the NVDA icon in the system tray to cause the NVDA menu to come up.  Both of the above settings fall under the Preferences menu.  Synthesizer is under synthesizer and voice is under voice.  The first slider in the Voice dialog is rate.  You can use this to increase or decrease the speech rate, and this is true whatever synthesizer and voice combination you happen to be using.

2. It appears to read just one single line at a time, based on where the
mouse is. Is there a way to make it read entire paragraphs at a time,
or to hi-lite paragraphs for it to read? Or to make it read everything
below a certain point on the screen, for multiple paragraphs?

So far in my playing with this the answer depends on the program, but someone who uses NVDA as their primary access method may be able to answer the following question for me, which will help me help you if there is a way:   How does one route the system caret to the mouse position when you're in a web browser?

When I'm in Microsoft Word, for example, I can easily achieve your goal of getting focus to where the mouse is and to continue reading from there.  After I've heard NVDA give the voice output for the line over which it is hovering I can simply click the mouse and the system carat is there (or close to it if I bumped it slightly).  I can get NVDA to Say All from that point by hitting INS+Down Arrow since I'm using the desktop keyboard layout.  It will do exactly what one would expect, keep reading from that point.   However, when I'm in a web browser (and it doesn't matter which one)  the behavior is quite different.  If I'm reading this group on Groups.io, for instance, as I run the mouse down the page it will read the line over which I'm hovering, but when I click it does not move the system caret to that point like it does in Word.  I've also tried the "navigate to the object under the mouse" command, which causes the same text I just heard during hover over to be repeated, but the system carat doesn't move and neither, it seems, does what NVDA has focus on because I generally seem to still have focus on a link at the top of the page that's outside the area that I'm hovering over entirely.  I just cannot seem to figure out how to force the system caret to the mouse location via NVDA and the usual sighted way of clicking where my mouse pointer indicates I am isn't doing it either.

3. It doesn't seem to work very well for Chrome browsers, it has trouble
reading just about everything that is in the Chrome browser actually. Is
there a way to fix this?

                   It's not just for Chrome but the problem is more related to mouse-based use than keyboard based use.  One thing you might want to try is hitting INS+F7, and when the NVDA elements dialog comes up select the Headings radio button to see the various headings in the webpage.  You can then jump to various spots on the page quite easily and have NVDA start reading from there.  This only works, of course, on pages that are coded with headings but that's an awful lot of pages.

                   I'm still trying to figure out a fast and efficient method to read the online archive for any Groups.io group with a screen reader.  It's taking longer than I had expected!

                   There are definite differences in the way someone who's sighted would use screen readers than their target audience does.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 03:36 pm, Fantasy Sports wrote:
some documents which have no cursor on the screen don't respond to that.

 Can you give an example, if its something outside a web browser, of what you're talking about?  I can try to see what I can do with it, if anything.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

I'm not sure how much you can do with the mouse and how much with the keyboard.  I'll let others discuss that.

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 4:20 PM

[...]

I don't know what programs you are using.  If you want to use NVDA, you may need something like Skipe discussions and instruction in real time, perhaps from a sighted person who is familiar with using NVDA.

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 4:20 PM

[...]

I'm probably just doing it wrong, I am still new to this software.

I'm sure it is nothing wrong with the program itself.

Gene mentioned something about hitting arrow keys
and insert keys, but I don't think I'm doing it right
when faced with a web page.

It is easier when there is a flashing cursor on screen,
as in now, when I'm writing an email.