Topics

my 2 sugestions and the microsoft accessability line

brian <sackriderbrian45@...>

lastweek I called the accessability line and gave them my sugestions for narator and since then I have in email contact with Sean about this. He would pass on my sugestions and he also said that would make narator stand out. I told him that if narator could read the percentages when downloading in internet explorer and have narator announce every update as it is being downloaded. I told him that nvda does not do theese things and I don't that it ever will. Theese are both microsoft issues with windows so this should be able to be done. This would make naratordo what other screen readers can't do.

Brian Sackrider

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. If you want to hear the percentage when something is downloading, just press insert U. The choices you'll get are beep, speak percentages or no speech. You don't really need something special like an add-on or narrator to announce percentages when downloading a file.

Rosemarie

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of brian
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] my 2 sugestions and the microsoft accessability line

lastweek I called the accessability line and gave them my sugestions for narator and since then I have in email contact with Sean about this. He would pass on my sugestions and he also said that would make narator stand out. I told him that if narator could read the percentages when downloading in internet explorer and have narator announce every update as it is being downloaded. I told him that nvda does not do theese things and I don't that it ever will. Theese are both microsoft issues with windows so this should be able to be done. This would make naratordo what other screen readers can't do.

Brian Sackrider

Gene

I almost never use Internet Explorer and I haven't upgraded beyond 8.  In 8, when you would start a download, the download window opens.  If you are in the window and if NVDA is set to read progress bars, you will here the percent spoken.  In IE11, I don't know what happens, but I'm confident that if you are in the right place, you will hear the percentage as well.  I consider this to be of very little importance because, for one thing, I use my computer during downloads most of the time and I'm not in the window.  It's really no trouble to check the download window of whatever browser I'm using off and on to see when a download completes.  And also, Internet Explorer can be made to play a sound when a download completes. 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:14 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] my 2 sugestions and the microsoft accessability line

Hi, Brian,

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. If you want to hear the percentage when something is downloading, just press insert U. The choices you'll get are beep, speak percentages or no speech. You don't really need something special like an add-on or narrator to announce percentages when downloading a file.

Rosemarie

lastweek I called the accessability line and gave them my sugestions for narator and since then I have in email contact with Sean about this.  He would pass on my sugestions and he also said that would make narator stand out.  I told him that if narator could read the percentages when downloading in internet explorer and have narator announce every update as it is being downloaded. I told him that nvda does not do theese things and I don't that it ever will.  Theese are both microsoft issues with windows so this should be able to be done.  This would make naratordo what other screen readers can't do.

Brian Sackrider

Thats not true I do have my nvda to speak percentages but in ie 11 it does not speak the percentages try it and you will see that you do need an add on. I even did try having the background progress bars checked but no go so try before you post.

Brian Sackrider

On 4/18/2017 5:14 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, Brian,

Rosemarie

Brian Sackrider

ie 8 was the last version of ie that would speak the percentages people think that it does or that should but it does not.

Brian Sackrider

On 4/18/2017 6:06 PM, Gene wrote:
I almost never use Internet Explorer and I haven't upgraded beyond 8.  In 8, when you would start a download, the download window opens.  If you are in the window and if NVDA is set to read progress bars, you will here the percent spoken.  In IE11, I don't know what happens, but I'm confident that if you are in the right place, you will hear the percentage as well.  I consider this to be of very little importance because, for one thing, I use my computer during downloads most of the time and I'm not in the window.  It's really no trouble to check the download window of whatever browser I'm using off and on to see when a download completes.  And also, Internet Explorer can be made to play a sound when a download completes. 

Gene

Hi, Brian,

Rosemarie

lastweek I called the accessability line and gave them my sugestions for narator and since then I have in email contact with Sean about this.  He would pass on my sugestions and he also said that would make narator stand out.  I told him that if narator could read the percentages when downloading in internet explorer and have narator announce every update as it is being downloaded. I told him that nvda does not do theese things and I don't that it ever will.  Theese are both microsoft issues with windows so this should be able to be done.  This would make naratordo what other screen readers can't do.

Brian Sackrider

Gene

It strains credulity that there is no way to read the progress bar. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:08 PM

Thats not true I do have my nvda to speak percentages but in ie 11
it does not speak the percentages try it and you will see that you do
need an add on.  I even did try having the background progress bars
checked but no go so try before you post.

Brian Sackrider

> Hi, Brian,
>
> I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. If you want to hear the percentage when something is downloading, just press insert U. The choices you'll get are beep, speak percentages or no speech. You don't really need something special like an add-on or narrator to announce percentages when downloading a file.
>
> Rosemarie
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of brian
> Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:44 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: [nvda] my 2 sugestions and the microsoft accessability line
>
> lastweek I called the accessability line and gave them my sugestions for narator and since then I have in email contact with Sean about this.  He would pass on my sugestions and he also said that would make narator stand out.  I told him that if narator could read the percentages when downloading in internet explorer and have narator announce every update as it is being downloaded. I told him that nvda does not do theese things and I don't that it ever will.  Theese are both microsoft issues with windows so this should be able to be done.  This would make naratordo what other screen readers can't do.
>
> Brian Sackrider
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Pauline Smith

I'm not sure what version of Internet Explorer I am using.  If I'm not mistaken, I get spoken prompts of percdentages during downloading.  Don't quote me on this.

Speaking of such things, how can you find out what version of a program you are currently using?

Pauline

Gene

Hi, Brian,

Rosemarie

Brian Sackrider

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

It is found under the help section in the program and then about which is usually a menu under the help section.

There is a add on that does the same job for each program but i do not know for metro apps as i have not looked yet in window.

Gene nz

On 19/04/2017 11:37 AM, Pauline Smith wrote:

I'm not sure what version of Internet Explorer I am using.  If I'm not mistaken, I get spoken prompts of percdentages during downloading.  Don't quote me on this.

Speaking of such things, how can you find out what version of a program you are currently using?

Pauline

Gene

Hi, Brian,

Rosemarie

Brian Sackrider

Rosemarie Chavarria

You could hit insert B to give you the information. That's what I do when I'm downloading files with IE 11.

Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:09 PM

Thats not true I do have my nvda to speak percentages but in ie 11 it does not speak the percentages try it and you will see that you do need an add on. I even did try having the background progress bars checked but no go so try before you post.

Brian Sackrider

Hi, Brian,

Rosemarie

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
brian

Brian Sackrider

Ryan Mann <rmann0581@...>

When I download something in IE 11, I need to hit Alt N then Tab to Save, press Enter. If I don't do anything else, I hear the percentage.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 18, 2017, at 8:15 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:

You could hit insert B to give you the information. That's what I do when I'm downloading files with IE 11.

Brian Sackrider

Hi, Brian,

Rosemarie

brian

Brian Sackrider

Rosemarie Chavarria

That's what I do too. I've gotten lots of music files that way.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ryan
Mann
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:01 PM

When I download something in IE 11, I need to hit Alt N then Tab to Save,
press Enter. If I don't do anything else, I hear the percentage.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 18, 2017, at 8:15 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com>
wrote:

You could hit insert B to give you the information. That's what I do when
I'm downloading files with IE 11.

brian
Subject: Re: [nvda] my 2 sugestions and the microsoft accessability
line

Thats not true I do have my nvda to speak percentages but in ie 11 it
does not speak the percentages try it and you will see that you do need an
add on. I even did try having the background progress bars checked but no
go so try before you post.

Brian Sackrider

Hi, Brian,

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. If you want to hear the
percentage when something is downloading, just press insert U. The choices
you'll get are beep, speak percentages or no speech. You don't really need
something special like an add-on or narrator to announce percentages when
downloading a file.

Rosemarie

brian

lastweek I called the accessability line and gave them my sugestions for
narator and since then I have in email contact with Sean about this. He
would pass on my sugestions and he also said that would make narator stand
out. I told him that if narator could read the percentages when downloading
in internet explorer and have narator announce every update as it is being
downloaded. I told him that nvda does not do theese things and I don't that
it ever will. Theese are both microsoft issues with windows so this should
be able to be done. This would make naratordo what other screen readers
can't do.

Brian Sackrider

Pauline Smith

I do the same thing--hit Alt N then tab to Save when downloading. I hit NVDA key plus U as suggested by this list to get the percentages spoken. I will try again to download a book and report what happens.

Pauline

On 4/18/2017 10:00 PM, Ryan Mann wrote:
When I download something in IE 11, I need to hit Alt N then Tab to Save, press Enter. If I don't do anything else, I hear the percentage.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 18, 2017, at 8:15 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:

Brian Sackrider

Hi, Brian,

Rosemarie

brian

Brian Sackrider