From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of brian
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] my 2 sugestions and the microsoft accessability line

lastweek I called the accessability line and gave them my sugestions for narator and since then I have in email contact with Sean about this. He would pass on my sugestions and he also said that would make narator stand out. I told him that if narator could read the percentages when downloading in internet explorer and have narator announce every update as it is being downloaded. I told him that nvda does not do theese things and I don't that it ever will. Theese are both microsoft issues with windows so this should be able to be done. This would make naratordo what other screen readers can't do.

Brian Sackrider

Gene

I almost never use Internet Explorer and I haven't upgraded beyond 8.  In 8, when you would start a download, the download window opens.  If you are in the window and if NVDA is set to read progress bars, you will here the percent spoken.  In IE11, I don't know what happens, but I'm confident that if you are in the right place, you will hear the percentage as well.  I consider this to be of very little importance because, for one thing, I use my computer during downloads most of the time and I'm not in the window.  It's really no trouble to check the download window of whatever browser I'm using off and on to see when a download completes.  And also, Internet Explorer can be made to play a sound when a download completes.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:14 PM

Hi, Brian,

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. If you want to hear the percentage when something is downloading, just press insert U. The choices you'll get are beep, speak percentages or no speech. You don't really need something special like an add-on or narrator to announce percentages when downloading a file.

Rosemarie

lastweek I called the accessability line and gave them my sugestions for narator and since then I have in email contact with Sean about this.  He would pass on my sugestions and he also said that would make narator stand out.  I told him that if narator could read the percentages when downloading in internet explorer and have narator announce every update as it is being downloaded. I told him that nvda does not do theese things and I don't that it ever will.  Theese are both microsoft issues with windows so this should be able to be done.  This would make naratordo what other screen readers can't do.

Brian Sackrider

brian <sackriderbrian45@...>

Thats not true I do have my nvda to speak percentages but in ie 11 it does not speak the percentages try it and you will see that you do need an add on. I even did try having the background progress bars checked but no go so try before you post.

Brian Sackrider

[...]

    ie 8 was the last version of ie that would speak the percentages people think that it does or that should but it does not.

Brian Sackrider

Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:14 PM

[...]

It strains credulity that there is no way to read the progress bar.

     Thats not true I do have my nvda to speak percentages but in ie 11
it does not speak the percentages try it and you will see that you do
need an add on.  I even did try having the background progress bars
checked but no go so try before you post.

Brian Sackrider

> Hi, Brian,
>
> I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. If you want to hear the percentage when something is downloading, just press insert U. The choices you'll get are beep, speak percentages or no speech. You don't really need something special like an add-on or narrator to announce percentages when downloading a file.
>
> Rosemarie

Pauline Smith

I'm not sure what version of Internet Explorer I am using.  If I'm not mistaken, I get spoken prompts of percdentages during downloading.  Don't quote me on this.

Speaking of such things, how can you find out what version of a program you are currently using?

Pauline

Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:14 PM