Topics

NVDA and LibreOffice annoyannces: dates

Walmir Schultz <wsautodidata@...>

This problem apparently is related to the way NVDA announces erroneously the decimals in number.

The formatting of dates is also announced incorrectly.

For example, "Jan/17" is announced as "01/01/2017".

I must note that these are very different things. For instance, in my spreadsheets, I use "Jan/17" to indicate a value referring to the last day of january and, obviously, "01/01/2017" refers to the first day of than month.

So, this can lead to various interpretation errors related to the values referring to this dates.

Note also that this behavior started in LibreOffice 5.2.x.

I'm sorry, but no.

If you are going to use a date cell then it needs to contain a complete date or nothing can be expected to guess that date correctly.  It has to choose something, and it does.

If you want the 31st of January then enter a valid representation of the 31st of January.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Walmir Schultz <wsautodidata@...>

I have a spreadsheet with gold prices that are composed of a column with mont/year and other wit the value.

Using, for example, "Jan/99" is better than other formats. Why? Because on saturdays and mondays there is no information. So, the true day is not important, but this formatting "says" that it is the last working day of that month.
I was not responsible for this formatting, but was very happy because it facilitate the input.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:15 am, Walmir Schultz wrote:
I have a spreadsheet with gold prices that are composed of a column with mont/year and other wit the value.

Which I won't argue, nor will I argue with the utility of said column.  That column should be text, not date, as it is not interpretable as a date as computers define date.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Walmir Schultz <wsautodidata@...>

Well, you are right.

This is another example of how we must adapt to the world and not the other way round...

But I keep thinking why early versions of LibreOffice Calc accepted this date formatting and why thy decided to change it.