Topics

Keystroke for reading a specific Object

Jonathan Milam

Hi All,

Is there a way for me to create a “hot spot” or use a Hotkey that would read a specific object within an application?  I would like to read the status of a countdown timer that is not automatically read now by NVDA.  I would like to somehow highlight the object that contains this information and then create a region that would read it when a keystroke is pressed.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan,

           I can't say that this will be exactly what you want, but have you taken a look at the Golden Cursor add-on.  If you have mouse tracking on, and define the position of the object you wish to have read, you can then use Golden Cursor to jump to that position and mouse tracking will cause what's under the mouse to be read.

           It's not quite as easy as direct definition of a "jump to this spot" button, but it gets close.  I guess it also depends on the nature of the object on which you wish to place focus as well as far as how it would be read by mouse tracking.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Jonathan Milam

Thanks, Brian.  I haven’t looked at that add-on but will give it a try and see how it goes.  I appreciate the suggestion.

Jonathan

           I can't say that this will be exactly what you want, but have you taken a look at the Golden Cursor add-on.  If you have mouse tracking on, and define the position of the object you wish to have read, you can then use Golden Cursor to jump to that position and mouse tracking will cause what's under the mouse to be read.

           It's not quite as easy as direct definition of a "jump to this spot" button, but it gets close.  I guess it also depends on the nature of the object on which you wish to place focus as well as far as how it would be read by mouse tracking.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Jonathan,

         It's a nice add-on.  However, unless I'm doing something really wrong, and I don't think I am, the commands list on the add-on page has the key sequences for the first two commands flip-flopped.   Save position as currently listed shows the positions and show positions list tries to save a new one.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Jonathan Milam

Ahhh thanks, good to know!!

Jonathan