Topics

Keystroke for reading a specific Object

Jonathan Milam

Hi All,

Is there a way for me to create a “hot spot” or use a Hotkey that would read a specific object within an application?  I would like to read the status of a countdown timer that is not automatically read now by NVDA.  I would like to somehow highlight the object that contains this information and then create a region that would read it when a keystroke is pressed.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I can't say that this will be exactly what you want, but have you taken a look at the Golden Cursor add-on.  If you have mouse tracking on, and define the position of the object you wish to have read, you can then use Golden Cursor to jump to that position and mouse tracking will cause what's under the mouse to be read.

It's not quite as easy as direct definition of a "jump to this spot" button, but it gets close.  I guess it also depends on the nature of the object on which you wish to place focus as well as far as how it would be read by mouse tracking.
--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Jonathan Milam

Thanks, Brian.  I haven’t looked at that add-on but will give it a try and see how it goes.  I appreciate the suggestion.

Jonathan

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:19 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Keystroke for reading a specific Object

Jonathan,

I can't say that this will be exactly what you want, but have you taken a look at the Golden Cursor add-on.  If you have mouse tracking on, and define the position of the object you wish to have read, you can then use Golden Cursor to jump to that position and mouse tracking will cause what's under the mouse to be read.

It's not quite as easy as direct definition of a "jump to this spot" button, but it gets close.  I guess it also depends on the nature of the object on which you wish to place focus as well as far as how it would be read by mouse tracking.
--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Jonathan,

It's a nice add-on.  However, unless I'm doing something really wrong, and I don't think I am, the commands list on the add-on page has the key sequences for the first two commands flip-flopped.   Save position as currently listed shows the positions and show positions list tries to save a new one.
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Jonathan Milam

Ahhh thanks, good to know!! 

Jonathan

Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:29 AM

Jonathan,

It's a nice add-on.  However, unless I'm doing something really wrong, and I don't think I am, the commands list on the add-on page has the key sequences for the first two commands flip-flopped.   Save position as currently listed shows the positions and show positions list tries to save a new one.
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Quentin Christensen

To set a "hotspot" you can have NVDA read while still working elsewhere, you can use the review cursor.  Move the review cursor to the object (the countdown timer in this case) that you want to be able to read, then press NVDA+7 to turn follow system focus off, so the review cursor won't jump back to the current focus when you move around the screen normally.

See the section on Navigating with NVDA in the User Guide for more information: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html?#toc29

The "Basic Training for NVDA" module also contains extensive information on using the review cursor and object navigation.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Jonathan Milam <milamj@...> wrote:

Jonathan

Jonathan,

It's a nice add-on.  However, unless I'm doing something really wrong, and I don't think I am, the commands list on the add-on page has the key sequences for the first two commands flip-flopped.   Save position as currently listed shows the positions and show positions list tries to save a new one.
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Jonathan Milam

Thanks, Quentin.  I see what you mean.  This is perfect.

Jonathan

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:55 PM

To set a "hotspot" you can have NVDA read while still working elsewhere, you can use the review cursor.  Move the review cursor to the object (the countdown timer in this case) that you want to be able to read, then press NVDA+7 to turn follow system focus off, so the review cursor won't jump back to the current focus when you move around the screen normally.

See the section on Navigating with NVDA in the User Guide for more information: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html?#toc29

The "Basic Training for NVDA" module also contains extensive information on using the review cursor and object navigation.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Jonathan Milam <milamj@...> wrote:

Jonathan

Jonathan,

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess