Topics

NVDA without soundcard, remote solution?

Jack Mendez

Would it be possible to use NVDA on a computer without a sound card together with NVDA remote? I would like to experiment with this in cases where the audio drivers fail on a computer and still need to troubleshoot the situation. In addition, I would also like to know where to look for resources on how to manually install add-ins along with the screen reader. I could potentially configure the NVDA portable edition with add-ins, and then copy it to the remote system and configure services to start NVDA? Does that sound reasonable to anyone?

Thanks for the help.

Jack Mendez, Director of Technology

Louisiana Center for the Blind

101 South Trenton Street

Ruston, LA 71270

Voice: 800-234-4166

Fax: 318-251-0109

Twitter: jmtech10

www.louisianacenter.org

“Together, we are changing what it means to be blind.”

Bill Dengler

Jack,
Yes, it’s possible to use NVDA remote without sound on the host.
I have a preconfigured portable copy of NVDA with speech disabled and the “automatically connect to remote server” option enabled to use for this purpose.

Bill

On Apr 21, 2017, at 12:59 PM, Jack Mendez <jmendez@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill.

Thank you for responding so quickly.

Is it simply a matter of configuring the remote copy as I like and placing the binaries on the remote host? Are there any items I need to make sure I configure?

[...]

Just create a portable copy (from tools>create portable copy on a running instance of NVDA or from the “create portable copy” button of the installer).
Install the remote add-on to the portable copy.
Go to tools>remote>options, check the box labeled “automatically connect to control server on startup” and configure as desired.
Disable speech if you’d like (NVDA+CTRL+s, select no speech and press OK).
After disabling speech, press NVDA+n, s, enter, NVDA+q, enter.
Then just copy the directory containing the portable NVDA to the remote host.

Bill

On Apr 21, 2017, at 1:59 PM, Jack Mendez <jmendez@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Just buy a cheap usb headset or interface. I bought a creative on for under 10 quid and it needs no drivers, even on xp, it just works.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Would it be possible to use NVDA on a computer without a sound card together with NVDA remote? I would like to experiment with this in cases where the audio drivers fail on a computer and still need to troubleshoot the situation. In addition, I would also like to know where to look for resources on how to manually install add-ins along with the screen reader. I could potentially configure the NVDA portable edition with add-ins, and then copy it to the remote system and configure services to start NVDA? Does that sound reasonable to anyone?
Thanks for the help.

Jack Mendez, Director of Technology
Louisiana Center for the Blind
101 South Trenton Street
Ruston, LA 71270
Voice: 800-234-4166
Fax: 318-251-0109
Twitter: jmtech10
www.louisianacenter.org<http://www.louisianacenter.org>

"Together, we are changing what it means to be blind."
[JAWS Certified, 2016]<http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Bill every time I try to open your emails it is warning me of a potential unsafe active x control on the page. Maybe you should send to this list using plain text.
OK I'm sure its probably not true, but is a security warning triggered by something in the email but its rather annoying nonetheless.

On Apr 21, 2017, at 12:59 PM, Jack Mendez <jmendez@... <mailto:jmendez@...>> wrote:

[...]

Here is the message and I notice an embedded object in the emails.
One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either:

1) Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page, or
2) You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls.

As a result, the page might not display correctly.

[...]

Hmmm, that’s… interesting. Will investigate.

Bill

On Apr 21, 2017, at 2:53 PM, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:

Here is the message and I notice  an embedded object in the emails.
One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either:

1) Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page, or
2) You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls.

As a result, the page might not display correctly.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian's Mail list account" <bglists@...>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Dengler" <codeofdusk@...>

[...]

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Jack, Bills message has no active x controls in it. In fact, except for some div containers, Bill's message has almost no html code in it at all. Your own messages have more html code than Bills messages do, so that activeX control message has to be coming from something else. It may trigger on Bill's message, but that message isn't the origin of the issue. I don't know what email clien you use, but if it has a simple html option, you may want to turn it on, that would make it much more difficult for such things tohappen, since in simple html mode, scripts aren't actually run, only simple html interpretation of messages takes place, and nothing more. it's a much safer way to view messages anyhow, as it prevents a lot of exploits and virus infestations.
hth.

Bill Dengler

Brian was talking about the Active X controls, not Jack.

Bill