VLC player app and W10

Holger Fiallo <hfiallo@...>

Hi, all
Hope I hear from someone. I am playing an audio books with several tracks. I went from the bottom  to top using arrow up to slect my tracks to play the book. Normaly it starts from the beginning but with VLC player, starts from last track. I went from top to  bottom , yet still playing from last chapter. What do I need to do to fix this? Again using W10, and the VLC app.

Holger Fiallo

Holger,

When you say VLC App are you referring to the VLC App that you get through the Windows 10 App Store or the VLC Desktop App that gets installed if you download VLC and install it?

If you hit WinKey and immediately type VLC the App you're using should be the first thing returned in the search results.  If it's noted as a desktop app then it's the installed version.  Since both exist this could make a difference.  I don't use the Apps Store version.
--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Yes. and also NVDA.

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:35 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] VLC player app and W10

Holger,

When you say VLC App are you referring to the VLC App that you get through the Windows 10 App Store or the VLC Desktop App that gets installed if you download VLC and install it?

If you hit WinKey and immediately type VLC the App you're using should be the first thing returned in the search results.  If it's noted as a desktop app then it's the installed version.  Since both exist this could make a difference.  I don't use the Apps Store version.
--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Holger,

Are you trying to listen only to selected chapters from the book?   If so, are you creating a playlist containing those chapters?

I'm trying to imagine just precisely how you're going about what you're trying to do as well as guessing a bit at what you're trying to do.
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

The book is brokendown into 12 partss I just want to slect all so it will play without me having to go from part 1 to 2 and so on. Hope I made my self clear.

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 1:06 PM

Holger,

Are you trying to listen only to selected chapters from the book?   If so, are you creating a playlist containing those chapters?

I'm trying to imagine just precisely how you're going about what you're trying to do as well as guessing a bit at what you're trying to do.
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Holger,

Then you should be able to accomplish this after you've opened VLC by:

1.  Hitting CTRL+F to open the "Select Folder" dialog.

2.  Navigate to the folder that contains the entire book's folder, select the book's folder in the dialog.

3.  Activate the "Select Folder" button at the bottom of the dialog.

4.  All chapters of the book should load into the play list area and begin playing with the first chapter (that is provided the chapter media files are numbered correctly, and I have little doubt that they are).
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

I would check to make sure the files are numbered correctly and I would also check any settings such as shuffle to make sure they are off.  I don't think the procedure given in the below message will work better than the other procedures described in the original message.  They are just different ways of doing the same thing.  You can try the procedure given, but I think the problem may be in the numbering or in some setting in the program.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 1:26 PM

Holger,

1.  Hitting CTRL+F to open the "Select Folder" dialog.

2.  Navigate to the folder that contains the entire book's folder, select the book's folder in the dialog.

3.  Activate the "Select Folder" button at the bottom of the dialog.

4.  All chapters of the book should load into the play list area and begin playing with the first chapter (that is provided the chapter media files are numbered correctly, and I have little doubt that they are).
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

It is not the number. I used the same book before without any issue. It is the VLC app that I downloaded from the app store for W10. In the past with W7 and VLC worked well using the same book. I like the book and read the book many times.

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 1:30 PM

I would check to make sure the files are numbered correctly and I would also check any settings such as shuffle to make sure they are off.  I don't think the procedure given in the below message will work better than the other procedures described in the original message.  They are just different ways of doing the same thing.  You can try the procedure given, but I think the problem may be in the numbering or in some setting in the program.

Gene

Holger,

1.  Hitting CTRL+F to open the "Select Folder" dialog.

2.  Navigate to the folder that contains the entire book's folder, select the book's folder in the dialog.

3.  Activate the "Select Folder" button at the bottom of the dialog.

4.  All chapters of the book should load into the play list area and begin playing with the first chapter (that is provided the chapter media files are numbered correctly, and I have little doubt that they are).
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Got it. I always done it from the original folder by just selecting the books and enter and the player come up and play the book. I like to do it this way whether it is music or movies. I do not open it from the player.

Holger,

1.  Hitting CTRL+F to open the "Select Folder" dialog.

2.  Navigate to the folder that contains the entire book's folder, select the book's folder in the dialog.

3.  Activate the "Select Folder" button at the bottom of the dialog.

4.  All chapters of the book should load into the play list area and begin playing with the first chapter (that is provided the chapter media files are numbered correctly, and I have little doubt that they are).
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Holger,

Provided that the files are numbered correctly for any media player to sequence them (and that means, of course, that if you're using file name sort in File Explorer it sorts them in that same order in all likelihood), and VLC is set as your default media player, you should get the same result if you navigate into the folder with all the chapter files, hit CTRL+A to select them all, then bring up the context menu and select "Play".

You need not have the player open first.
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

P.S., Hitting Enter after having all of the audio files selected via the use of CTRL+A, so long as they have the correct sequencing, should also result in "play in order."

You can run into problems when you're selecting individual files, even if you select all of them, because whatever the last one selected was, or whatever one has focus on it when you trigger the player to open, will play first.  I just forced this with an Album of music by selecting the first track, then holding down shift and selecting the last track, which does select all, but leaves focus on the last track.  If I hit Enter or use the Context menu and play that last track plays first then it jumps back to following the numerical order of the remainder of the tracks selected.
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

I just check by slecting the files from bottom to top and open with window media player. It is playing but would like to do so with VLC instead of W M player.

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 2:52 PM

P.S., Hitting Enter after having all of the audio files selected via the use of CTRL+A, so long as they have the correct sequencing, should also result in "play in order."

You can run into problems when you're selecting individual files, even if you select all of them, because whatever the last one selected was, or whatever one has focus on it when you trigger the player to open, will play first.  I just forced this with an Album of music by selecting the first track, then holding down shift and selecting the last track, which does select all, but leaves focus on the last track.  If I hit Enter or use the Context menu and play that last track plays first then it jumps back to following the numerical order of the remainder of the tracks selected.
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Holger,

You need to change your default app for Music Player.  If you hit the WinKey and immediately type "default app" the Default app settings pane should be the first thing returned in the results.  Open that and then find "Music Player" and change it from Windows Media Player to VLC.

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Yes. I know but I like VLC instead of WM player. I was hoping someone knew how to fix this. In the old VLC there was a setting that I could go to check something to make sure so it will play in order.

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 3:08 PM

Holger,

You need to change your default app for Music Player.  If you hit the WinKey and immediately type "default app" the Default app settings pane should be the first thing returned in the results.  Open that and then find "Music Player" and change it from Windows Media Player to VLC.

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

Is there any reason you want to use the VLC player?  For straight listening, I much prefer Winamp and Winamp will probably play things in order.

As far as Windows media Player is concerned, it has a remarkably good rapid listening feature that allows you to speed up speech while leaving the pitch constant.  It is much better than the one you can use with Winamp or the one in VLC Player.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 3:33 PM

Yes. I know but I like VLC instead of WM player. I was hoping someone knew how to fix this. In the old VLC there was a setting that I could go to check something to make sure so it will play in order.

Holger,

You need to change your default app for Music Player.  If you hit the WinKey and immediately type "default app" the Default app settings pane should be the first thing returned in the results.  Open that and then find "Music Player" and change it from Windows Media Player to VLC.

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Just like it and is easy for me.

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 3:55 PM

Is there any reason you want to use the VLC player?  For straight listening, I much prefer Winamp and Winamp will probably play things in order.

As far as Windows media Player is concerned, it has a remarkably good rapid listening feature that allows you to speed up speech while leaving the pitch constant.  It is much better than the one you can use with Winamp or the one in VLC Player.

Gene

Holger,

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

Winamp is easier and more intuitive.  And I can get to play things in proper order.

I have VLC Player in case I want it to play something Winamp can't, but I almost never use it.
Gene

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:14 PM

Gene

Holger,

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Yes. I agree. I like Winamp but can not find it to get it. Does it work for W10?

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 5:38 PM

Winamp is easier and more intuitive.  And I can get to play things in proper order.

I have VLC Player in case I want it to play something Winamp can't, but I almost never use it.
Gene

Gene

Holger,

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

I don't have Windows 10 but it works according to discussions I've seen. 

As far as where to get it, one place is
there is a link that says Downloads on the page.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 5:44 PM

Yes. I agree. I like Winamp but can not find it to get it. Does it work for W10?

Gene

Gene

Holger,

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Roger Stewart

Try the Ninite downloader for Winamp. You can get it that way.

Roger

On 4/22/2017 5:44 PM, Holger Fiallo wrote:

Gene

Gene

Holger,

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill