NVDA sluggish in task manager and resource monitor

Felix G.

Hello,
on several Win 10 machines I find that NVDA gets very sluggish when task manager or resource monitor has focus. At first I thought it was because the machines were slow anyway at that time, which is why I used these tools in the first place, but I tested again in good times, that is, while everything else was running smoothly, and I consistently get the same sluggish behavior across multiple machines.
I also tested with Narrator and found it very responsive. So NVDA definitely has some causal involvement here.
Any ideas/workarounds, anyone? Thank you very much in advance.
Kind regards,
Felix

Andre Fisher

File a ticket on github. Also, give specific setup and usage situations.

On 4/23/17, Felix G. <constantlyvariable@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
on several Win 10 machines I find that NVDA gets very sluggish when task
manager or resource monitor has focus. At first I thought it was because
the machines were slow anyway at that time, which is why I used these tools
in the first place, but I tested again in good times, that is, while
everything else was running smoothly, and I consistently get the same
sluggish behavior across multiple machines.
I also tested with Narrator and found it very responsive. So NVDA
definitely has some causal involvement here.
Any ideas/workarounds, anyone? Thank you very much in advance.
Kind regards,
Felix

Christo de Klerk

Hello

I can confirm Felix's issue. I also find Task Manager so sluggish with NVDA that I first close NVDA and fire up Narrator when it is necessary to use Task Manager.

The same behaviour is true also in the activation dialogue in DBT (Duxbury).

Kind regards

Christo

On 2017/04/23 11:02 AM, Felix G. wrote:
Hello,
on several Win 10 machines I find that NVDA gets very sluggish when task
manager or resource monitor has focus. At first I thought it was because
the machines were slow anyway at that time, which is why I used these tools
in the first place, but I tested again in good times, that is, while
everything else was running smoothly, and I consistently get the same
sluggish behavior across multiple machines.
I also tested with Narrator and found it very responsive. So NVDA
definitely has some causal involvement here.
Any ideas/workarounds, anyone? Thank you very much in advance.
Kind regards,
Felix

Felix G.

Hello,
thanks for the suggestion, I'm considering filing a ticket at some point. It's just that my usual approach is to first enter informal discussion to gather some data points before I officially cry bug.
Kind regards,
Felix

On 4/23/17, Felix G. <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:
> Hello,
> on several Win 10 machines I find that NVDA gets very sluggish when task
> manager or resource monitor has focus. At first I thought it was because
> the machines were slow anyway at that time, which is why I used these tools
> in the first place, but I tested again in good times, that is, while
> everything else was running smoothly, and I consistently get the same
> sluggish behavior across multiple machines.
> I also tested with Narrator and found it very responsive. So NVDA
> definitely has some causal involvement here.
> Any ideas/workarounds, anyone? Thank you very much in advance.
> Kind regards,
> Felix

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I sometimes think this tends to happen on laptops due to their slower cpus to save power when things get busy. the UIA interface seems slow on many machines and we have no way to know if narrator is actually doing something internal to get around this problem. Often making idle rates on processors to be less slow can speed things up a lot. Task manager etc, do refresh quite often and one supposes anyting monitoring resources will also.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

on several Win 10 machines I find that NVDA gets very sluggish when task
manager or resource monitor has focus. At first I thought it was because
the machines were slow anyway at that time, which is why I used these tools
in the first place, but I tested again in good times, that is, while
everything else was running smoothly, and I consistently get the same
sluggish behavior across multiple machines.
I also tested with Narrator and found it very responsive. So NVDA
definitely has some causal involvement here.
Any ideas/workarounds, anyone? Thank you very much in advance.
Kind regards,
Felix

Jacob Kruger

If I hit ctrl+shift+escape right now on my win10 64 bit creators version, running current NVDA next snapshot, it works fine in the task manager, is just as responsive as anywhere else, etc. etc.

Only issue have always had with windows 10 task manager is trying to switch between what would have rendered as pages under windows 7 - tasks/applications, processes, startup, etc., but anyway.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2017-04-23 11:34, Christo de Klerk wrote:
Hello

[...]

                                                                                You could try if not already done so the same voice as you do in narrator see if that is the issue

On 2017-04-23 11:34, Christo de Klerk wrote:

> Hello

> I can confirm Felix's issue. I also find Task Manager so sluggish with

> NVDA that I first close NVDA and fire up Narrator when it is necessary

> to use Task Manager.

> The same behaviour is true also in the activation dialogue in DBT

> (Duxbury).

> Kind regards

> Christo

> On 2017/04/23 11:02 AM, Felix G. wrote:

>> Hello,

>> on several Win 10 machines I find that NVDA gets very sluggish when task

>> manager or resource monitor has focus. At first I thought it was because

>> the machines were slow anyway at that time, which is why I used these

>> tools

>> in the first place, but I tested again in good times, that is, while

>> everything else was running smoothly, and I consistently get the same

>> sluggish behavior across multiple machines.

>> I also tested with Narrator and found it very responsive. So NVDA

>> definitely has some causal involvement here.

>> Any ideas/workarounds, anyone? Thank you very much in advance.

>> Kind regards,

>> Felix

Jacob Kruger

For interest's sake, or if it makes any difference, if I switch over to a microsoft voice, under NVDA using the SAPI 5 synthesizer, then it's always somewhat sluggish/laggy, in both task manager, or even if just moving line to line in a text file in notepad, but, my primary synth/TTS engine is eSpeak NG, and, that's one of the most responsive TTS engines - seems that way to me, and, partly why it's always my primary screen reader of choice with NVDA.

But, task manager doesn't seem to be offering any more sluggishness than other interfaces on my side - and, if means much, this is on a lenovo w52 laptop, running windows 10 pro 64 bit.

stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2017-04-23 11:34, Christo de Klerk wrote:

> Hello

> I can confirm Felix's issue. I also find Task Manager so sluggish with

> NVDA that I first close NVDA and fire up Narrator when it is necessary

> to use Task Manager.

> The same behaviour is true also in the activation dialogue in DBT

> (Duxbury).

> Kind regards

> Christo

> On 2017/04/23 11:02 AM, Felix G. wrote:

>> Hello,

>> on several Win 10 machines I find that NVDA gets very sluggish when task

>> manager or resource monitor has focus. At first I thought it was because

>> the machines were slow anyway at that time, which is why I used these

>> tools

>> in the first place, but I tested again in good times, that is, while

>> everything else was running smoothly, and I consistently get the same

>> sluggish behavior across multiple machines.

>> I also tested with Narrator and found it very responsive. So NVDA

>> definitely has some causal involvement here.

>> Any ideas/workarounds, anyone? Thank you very much in advance.

>> Kind regards,

>> Felix

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I don't use duxbury, but I don't have the described behavior with task manager. I'm using windows 8.1, and task manager is not slow at all, no matter which screen reader I use, NVDA, narrator, or jaws. (don't have window-eyes) Perhaps it's a windows 10 thing? or perhaps your version of task manager is flawed, though over multiple computers, this is highly unlikely. All I can tell you, is that this isn't a universal problem, so ....

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017, Christo de Klerk wrote:

[...]

Sapi voices are in fact far worse for sluggishness generally.
I also do not see sluggishness in windows 7, and as has been said before I cannot at present do w10 test as the machine blew up and I'm ttoo chepskate to get it replaced just now.
I did used to find though that the power saving throttling back routines for the processor in 10, seemed to have much more impact on nvda than in most earlier windows versions.

As I said before, maybe its the constant updating coupled with the throttling that nvda does not like.

On 2017-04-23 11:34, Christo de Klerk wrote:
Hello

[...]

Yes nvda and task manager of late is really slow to get started nvda simi crashes with it but if I doodle with it a little it then works.

On 23/04/2017 9:34 p.m., Christo de Klerk wrote:
[...]

.

Jacob Kruger

If that might be relevant, one of the first bits of windows configuration I generally do is turn off any form of battery saving/power management - I will let screen turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity, but, every other power management/saving feature gets disabled, but anyway.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA