Slow behavior of NVDA in Outlook 2016

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello all,

First, let me introduce myself as I am new on this list.

My name is Sylvie, I live in France and work for a company training people on how to make web sites accessible to all.

I use NVDA as my primary screen reader and am really enthusiastic about it.

I write you today for one user who encounters a very slow behaviour of NVDA while using OUtlook 2016 on his Lenovo PC running on Windows 10.

He uses Google APP Sync in order to synchronise his mails, calendars and contacts between his different devices.

When he writes or displays e-mails, NVDA reacts very slowly. It sometimes takes 3 or 4 seconds while going to the next word.

He tried several things to solve the problem: changing his anti-virus software, disabling Windows Defender, changing settings on Outlook and Lenovo tools, but nothing has improved.

He installed Jaws 18 and did not encounter the same issue.

Has anyone similar problems or any solutions?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Sylvie

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi Sylvie,

I am using Outlook 2016 with NVDA on Windows 10 and I do not encounter any slowing down between screens or when reading text. The only time I experience that kind of slowdown of speech is in Excel when I am reading formulas. NVDA takes a while to say "left paren" or "right paren". I looked into this and found that the mathematical symbols are not in the default dictionary file and NVDA has to go to another file to find the word to speak and describe the bracket under the cursor.

Your problem sounds so like this that I wonder if you have a language setting problem. Are you working in French or English? If in French, are you using Outlook in English while your language setting is French? On the other hand, is it the reverse? By that I mean, are you using French when your default language setting is English? Apart from either of these settings, do any of the words you meet have French accents or other French symbols? If so, then you may be experiencing the same problem as mine in Excel where NVDA has to go to a different file to find the words for those symbols.

Let me know if any of this applies to your situation.

Yours sincerely,

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

of
I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.

[...]

Paula Hobley <paula.hobley@...>

Hi Sylvie

I have experienced this issue along with the issue of NVDA not reading messages in Outlook. When I reinstalled the latest build of NVDA in a successful attempt to rectify the message reading issue, the lagging issues have been partially fixed. I still find that I have some lagging, but it is workable. Previously it was not, and I would have to load another screen reader in order to write my mail.

I hope this helps.

If you find a better solution, please let me know as the more I type in this message, the more lagging I am experiencing.

Cheers

[...]

I found that uninstalling NVDA and reinstalling the latest build has partially fixed the lagging issue. I still find that it occurs sometimes when I type longer messages. If you find a better fix, I would be interested. Although the lagging isn't as bad, and I do not have to resort to closing the screen reader and running another just to write my email, it is still frustrating ant time consuming.

Cheers

Paula

[...]

Jim Pipczak

Hi,

More out of curiosity than anything else, When NVDA starts to lag, ALT tab away from the email and then back again to see if this fixes the issue.

Thanks,
Jim.

[...]

Pascal Lambert

I am experiencing the sluggishness in Outlook 2013, each time I log on, the voice goes silent, each time I initiate Firefox... It is very sluggish at times and often goes silent. Never experienced this with Windows 7. It is worse with Internet Explorer.
Blessings
Pascal

[...]

Hi Jim,

Nope, this doesn't fix the issue for me.

Cheers

Paula

[...]

Andre Fisher

Add-ons? Do you guys have anti-virus?

These need to be clearly specified

On 4/27/17, Paula Hobley <paula.hobley@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

And versions of NVDA and Windows you've got. Please try running NVDA in Core Mode (add-ons disabled) and see if this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

[...]

Gene

It's very unlikely that antimalware programs would cause the behavior.  the computer in general isn't slow.  It's possible that add ons might, but not likely.
I'm not sure if there is a way to run NVDA with no add ons running but you can run NVDA and disable all the add ons, then see if anything changes in the performance of Word.  If you need to know how to disable add ons, ask here.

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:51 PM

On 4/27/17, Paula Hobley <paula.hobley@...> wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Nope, this doesn't fix the issue for me.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paula

Gene

I checked and there is a way to run NVDA with no add ons running.  I' not sure what the path is that you type if you have the installed version so I'll let others discuss that.  This is a command you can enter from the run dialog.

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:51 PM

Add-ons? Do you guys have anti-virus?

These need to be clearly specified

On 4/27/17, Paula Hobley <paula.hobley@...> wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Nope, this doesn't fix the issue for me.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paula

aikeo koomanivong

Reuio

เมื่อ 28 เม.ย. 2017 10:06 "Gene" <gsasner@...> เขียนว่า

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:51 PM

Add-ons? Do you guys have anti-virus?

These need to be clearly specified

On 4/27/17, Paula Hobley <paula.hobley@...> wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Nope, this doesn't fix the issue for me.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paula

Hi,

Fastest way to do this: NvDA+Q, choose “Restart with add-ons disabled”.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:51 PM

Add-ons? Do you guys have anti-virus?

These need to be clearly specified

On 4/27/17, Paula Hobley <paula.hobley@...> wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Nope, this doesn't fix the issue for me.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paula

Paula Hobley <paula.hobley@...>

Running Quick Heal Total Security. I suspect different people will be running different security software so it's probably an NVDA/Outlook issue.

[...]

I have no idea what Core mode is. Please explain this term for those of us who are less tech savi. I am running Windows 10 Office 365 Outlook 2016. Not sure about others.

Cheers

Paula

[...]

Though I doubt this will help or help much, you might speed things up to an extent by turning off automatically search for errors as I type.  I don't know the exact name of the feature and those who use Word will, I hope discuss the setting more.  I'm running a rather slow computer and I made typing more responsive in firefox when I write text in a webmail edit field, for example, by turning off the feature in Firefox that flags errors as I type.

This sounds like a different problem but it's worth trying this possible solution, just in case.

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:17 PM

Running Quick Heal Total Security.  I suspect different people will be running different security software so it's probably an NVDA/Outlook issue.

> Nope, this doesn't fix the issue for me.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paula

Hi,
Core Mode (sometimes called "NVDA safe mode") is a term I coined to describe running NVDA with all add-ons disabled. This comes from the fact that NVDA is composed of a central core and add-ons on top of it (we the NVDA developers sometimes use the term "NVDA Core" or just the word "core" to describe the NVDA screen reader itself).
The ability to disable add-ons came in two phases:
1. All or nothing: this was introduced in 2015. This is done by telling NVDA to (re)start with add-ons disabled.
2. Disable individual add-ons: this was introduced in 2016. With this, one can disable individual add-ons in hopes of locating a possible culprit for issues with add-ons.

With these in place, one of the things developers ask users to try is run NVDA with add-ons disabled. If the issue is resolved, then we know that the problem lies with add-ons, and we try to disable each add-on until we find the offending add-on. If the problem persists, then we ask folks to try reproducing the issue with different screen readers in hopes of narrowing the scope a bit further.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Hi Joseph and all

I followed your instructions and started NVDA in Core mode. I could not replicate the lagging issue in Office 365 Outlook 2016 using Windows 10 (Creators edition). However, when I started the program as per normal, the lagging came back. I initially thought it was the Tiflotecnia Vocalizer voice, however, I am wondering if it is a time issue. The longer my email, the more likely it is that I get a lag. For example, the lag is occurring now.

This is a bit of a mystery.

Cheers

Paula

[...]

Can you send me a log offlist for analysis? For maximum output, please do the following:
1. If you haven't, install NVDA 2017.1.
2. While NVDA is running, press NvDA+Q, then select "restart with debug logging enabled".
3. After experiencing lag in Outlook, press NVDA+F1 to open log viewer, then copy everything from the log and send it in as a text file attachment.
My address is joseph.lee22590@gmail.com. If I do find an add-on that might be causing the problem, I'll alert the add-on writer (unless if it's one of mine, and if so, I'll take care of it).
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

thank you for all your ideas.

Cearbhall, thank you for the suggestion with the language. But the user who encounters this problem only works in French. So the different languages is not the issue.

He tried all other things other members suggested:

Using alt+tab to leave outlook and come back.

Disabling all add-ons.

He disabled his anti-virus software but nothing improved.

As I already wrote, he tested with another screen reader and he does not have this issue. So it may be a problem with NVDA and Outlook.

Joseph, I told him to send me a log after he disabled all add-ons and I will send it to you as you previously suggested on this list.

Thank you again.

Best

Sylvie