Unreadable message titles in Inbox list

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi,

I have an strange problem reading Messages in my inbox!

I am using Outlook 2016 in Windows 10 with NVDA . (All latest versions).

This problem happens frequently but not all the time. I cannot find out what the cause of the problem is. I also cannot see when it might or might not happen.

Here's the story:

I get about 200 messages a day from all the discussion lists that I am following and some personal emails. I like to keep my messages in reverse sort order so that the oldest are at the top. This way, I can keep the messages that interest me at the top of the list and delete the newer ones below when I don't want to keep them.

my method for managing the messages is to press  down-arrow on a message if I want to keep it so that the next message comes into focus. If I want to reject the message, I press the delete key. This moves the next message up into the position of the NVDA focus. In this way, I can move through all the messages rapidly.

When the mysterious problem appears, I have found that down-arrow reveals nothing. Just silence. I have to press tab to jump away from the message list and shift-tab to get back and then I find that NVDA+numpad 8 tells me that the next message has actually moved up into the focus position as you would expect. No amount of up-arrow or down-arrow yields any speech on each of the messages. As you know, what should happen is that I hear the sender and title information as the arrow moves from message to message.

I have persisted with down-arrow from silent message to silent message and found that I can get back to the normal echoing behaviour after about the 150th message! Alternatively, I can press control and end   to move to the 250th or last message in the Inbox where the movement of the up-arrow is echoed from message to message as normal. As an experiment, I have persisted with the up-arrow from the bottom of the list and found that when I arrive at the 150th message from the top, I suddenly lose the speaking of the sender and title details again. In other words, I am back into the unspeaking block of messages! I checked the 151st message and, sure enough, NVDA reads out the title details. Then I press up-arrow back to the 150th to find it silent and all the rest of the messages above it to the top continued silent as before.

I hope you can follow this! It is as if a curtain lies over the first 150 messages. I can get out from under the curtain at about the 151st message and proceed as normal to the last message. Likewise, I can jump to the bottom of the list and read all the message details until I rise back up to the bottom of the curtain at the 150th message.

As I said at the beginning, this does not happen every day but it does happen frequently.

The last time it happened, I saved the 150 curtained messages in a new folder and the unreadable behaviour persists even now.

Please understand that I can press enter on each message, whether curtained or not,  and read it perfectly. The problem is that of identifying the message in the Inbox list before opening it.

I would welcome any ideas or suggestions to see if I can get to the bottom of this behaviour.

By the way, JAWS does not have this problem only NVDA. I have tried JAWS 16 on the same curtained block of messages and JAWS can read each of the title details normally.

All the best,

Cearbhall

This isn't a solution but what happens if you exit NVDA and then run it again?

Another work around to try would be to move to the folders list, move out of the current folder, then back.  You can try both and use whichever works or, if they both work, use the method you prefer..

Also, control home and end are not the correct commands to use in a list or tree view.  Home and end are.  If you use control home and end. you will move to the top or bottom of the list or tree view, but the item you move to will not be selected.  using home and end moves you to and selects the first or last item and is consistent with the behavior of using the up and down arrow keys, that is, move and select.  Control home and end are correct commands for edit fields such as in word processors.

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:08 PM
Subject: [nvda] Unreadable message titles in Inbox list

[...]

Gene,

Thanks for the quick response.

I’ll take each of your points in turn:

  1. What happens if you exit NVDA and then run it again?

A: The problem persists.

  1. Move to the folders list, move out of the current folder, then back.

A: This does not affect the behaviour. Like you, I tried this but it did not change anything.

  1. control home and end are not the correct commands to use in a list or tree view.

A: Thanks for the advice! In fact, both actions work equally well in my Outlook message list as the messages are never unselected. However, I thank you for setting me straight on the purpose of these keystrokes!

Are you familiar with the problem which I have raised?

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:08 PM

[...]

I don't recall if I've ever seen that specific problem discussed before.  I have a problem with my old version of Windows Live Mail that at times, I don't see new messages unless I leave the folder I'm in and return to it or cloase and reopen the program.  But I have no idea if the cause of the problem is related to yours.

As for control home and end, it may not affect behavior in the e-mail program but it will in places like the desktop and Windows Explorer.

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:22 PM

Gene,

Thanks for the quick response.

I’ll take each of your points in turn:

  1. What happens if you exit NVDA and then run it again?

A: The problem persists.

  1. Move to the folders list, move out of the current folder, then back.

A: This does not affect the behaviour. Like you, I tried this but it did not change anything.

  1. control home and end are not the correct commands to use in a list or tree view.

A: Thanks for the advice! In fact, both actions work equally well in my Outlook message list as the messages are never unselected. However, I thank you for setting me straight on the purpose of these keystrokes!

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:08 PM

[...]

Paula Hobley <paula.hobley@...>

Hi Cearbhall

I am familiar with the issue you raise.  For me, my Gmail account would read perfectly, but my Microsoft Exchange account would not.  The only solution I found was to uninstall NVDA and install the latest build.  This has rectified the problem for me touch wood.

You can download this from the NVDA website and there is now an option allowing you not to donate if you are unable to.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Paula

  1. What happens if you exit NVDA and then run it again?

A: The problem persists.

  1. Move to the folders list, move out of the current folder, then back.

A: This does not affect the behaviour. Like you, I tried this but it did not change anything.

  1. control home and end are not the correct commands to use in a list or tree view.

A: Thanks for the advice! In fact, both actions work equally well in my Outlook message list as the messages are never unselected. However, I thank you for setting me straight on the purpose of these keystrokes!

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:08 PM

[...]

Paula,

Thanks for the response!

I did reinstall NVDA - exactly as you suggest. However, the problem still appears from time to time. The difficulty is that it does not appear consistently.

For example, today, I can read all my  email items in the normal way by arrowing up and down the Inbox list. However, I just took a look at the test folder where I stored the list that was affected some days ago and the behaviour still persists on those emails. Would this imply that there is some sort of flag or setting on the email list that is preventing NVDA from reading the message details when moving with the arrow key?

All the best,

Cearbhall

  1. What happens if you exit NVDA and then run it again?

A: The problem persists.

  1. Move to the folders list, move out of the current folder, then back.

A: This does not affect the behaviour. Like you, I tried this but it did not change anything.

  1. control home and end are not the correct commands to use in a list or tree view.

A: Thanks for the advice! In fact, both actions work equally well in my Outlook message list as the messages are never unselected. However, I thank you for setting me straight on the purpose of these keystrokes!

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:08 PM

[...]

matthew dyer

Just a thought, but do you have any tool bars enabled.  I usually disable all tools and turn off the preview.  Also, try restarting outlook and see if that works.

Matthew

  1. What happens if you exit NVDA and then run it again?

A: The problem persists.

  1. Move to the folders list, move out of the current folder, then back.

A: This does not affect the behaviour. Like you, I tried this but it did not change anything.

  1. control home and end are not the correct commands to use in a list or tree view.

A: Thanks for the advice! In fact, both actions work equally well in my Outlook message list as the messages are never unselected. However, I thank you for setting me straight on the purpose of these keystrokes!

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:08 PM

[...]

Matthew,

Thanks for the response!

No, I  don’t have any toolbars enabled. Restarting Outlook does not affect the problem either.

It’s as if there was a “curtain” over the first 54 messages. The 55th message is visible as normal but the 54th is not. Since the problem stays with the messages when I move the whole block of 150 messages to another folder, it must be that there is some characteristics of the messages that causes NVDA to stop reporting the information on each message until it gets to the bottom of the “curtain”

Do please keep the responses coming!

All the best,

Cearbhall

Just a thought, but do you have any tool bars enabled.  I usually disable all tools and turn off the preview.  Also, try restarting outlook and see if that works.

Matthew

  1. What happens if you exit NVDA and then run it again?

A: The problem persists.

  1. Move to the folders list, move out of the current folder, then back.

A: This does not affect the behaviour. Like you, I tried this but it did not change anything.

  1. control home and end are not the correct commands to use in a list or tree view.

A: Thanks for the advice! In fact, both actions work equally well in my Outlook message list as the messages are never unselected. However, I thank you for setting me straight on the purpose of these keystrokes!

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:08 PM

[...]

It would be useful to see what happens with another screen-reader.  We don't know if the problem has anything to do with NVDA.

Just a thought, but do you have any tool bars enabled.  I usually disable all tools and turn off the preview.  Also, try restarting outlook and see if that works.

Matthew

  1. What happens if you exit NVDA and then run it again?

A: The problem persists.

  1. Move to the folders list, move out of the current folder, then back.

A: This does not affect the behaviour. Like you, I tried this but it did not change anything.

  1. control home and end are not the correct commands to use in a list or tree view.

A: Thanks for the advice! In fact, both actions work equally well in my Outlook message list as the messages are never unselected. However, I thank you for setting me straight on the purpose of these keystrokes!

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:08 PM

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

No these are unreadable in many clients. I suspect some kind of character set offset in the mime statement of said emails, which makes it think its a language it cannot read as there is no character set loaded for it.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

1. What happens if you exit NVDA and then run it again?

A: The problem persists.

2. Move to the folders list, move out of the current folder, then back.

A: This does not affect the behaviour. Like you, I tried this but it did not
change anything.

3. control home and end are not the correct commands to use in a list
or tree view.

A: Thanks for the advice! In fact, both actions work equally well in my
Outlook message list as the messages are never unselected. However, I thank
you for setting me straight on the purpose of these keystrokes!

Are you familiar with the problem which I have raised?

All the best,

Cearbhall

<mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@...>

version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader
<http://www.spam-reader.com/disclaimer.shtml> for free now!

[...]

Gene

I really doubt it.  I don't know what the problem is but it strains credulity that there are something like 150 messages whose title can't be read and the rest can.  And these 150 messages all arrived on the same day.  In addition, you have presented no evidence that a lack of encoding information would cause this result.  I have never seen a message whose header information can't be read even if the message, when opened, can't be read for some reason.

> Just a thought, but do you have any tool bars enabled.  I usually disable
> all tools and turn off the preview.  Also, try restarting outlook and see
> if
> that works.
>

> Matthew

Arlene

Hi, is this windows ten?

[...]

It's interesting, because when I was having this issue, it was only in my Microsoft exchange account, not my Gmail account. It also only started occurring after a specific date. Not being near my computer at the moment, I can't check that exact date.

Sent from my iPhone

On 30 Apr 2017, at 4:21 am, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:

Hi, is this windows ten?

[...]

Hi there,

I have used Window-Eyes with the email account that I was encountering issues with, and the message list read fine.

Cheers

Paula

Sent from my iPhone

On 29 Apr 2017, at 9:42 am, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

It would be useful to see what happens with another screen-reader.  We don't know if the problem has anything to do with NVDA.

Just a thought, but do you have any tool bars enabled.  I usually disable all tools and turn off the preview.  Also, try restarting outlook and see if that works.

Matthew

  1. What happens if you exit NVDA and then run it again?

A: The problem persists.

  1. Move to the folders list, move out of the current folder, then back.

A: This does not affect the behaviour. Like you, I tried this but it did not change anything.

  1. control home and end are not the correct commands to use in a list or tree view.

A: Thanks for the advice! In fact, both actions work equally well in my Outlook message list as the messages are never unselected. However, I thank you for setting me straight on the purpose of these keystrokes!