Anyone having issues with NVDA+F6 in Creators Update?

Hello All,

         I'm actually with a student at this very moment and we're working with NVDA, or I should say trying to.  I cannot seem to get a consistent result with bringing up the elements list with NVDA+F6.  Way more often than not it's throwing me back to the address box and then navigating link by link afterward.  What's up with that or what am I doing wrong?

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Hi,

You mean NVDA+F7?

Cheers,

Joseph

         I'm actually with a student at this very moment and we're working with NVDA, or I should say trying to.  I cannot seem to get a consistent result with bringing up the elements list with NVDA+F6.  Way more often than not it's throwing me back to the address box and then navigating link by link afterward.  What's up with that or what am I doing wrong?

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

It's actually NVDA F-7.

Rosemarie

On 4/28/2017 1:46 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Hello All,

         I'm actually with a student at this very moment and we're working with NVDA, or I should say trying to.  I cannot seem to get a consistent result with bringing up the elements list with NVDA+F6.  Way more often than not it's throwing me back to the address box and then navigating link by link afterward.  What's up with that or what am I doing wrong?

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

It's NVDA f7.  I guess you'll be at sixes and sevens until you see my or other messages with that information.  (grin)

Sent: Friday, April 28, 2017 3:46 PM

Hello All,

         I'm actually with a student at this very moment and we're working with NVDA, or I should say trying to.  I cannot seem to get a consistent result with bringing up the elements list with NVDA+F6.  Way more often than not it's throwing me back to the address box and then navigating link by link afterward.  What's up with that or what am I doing wrong?

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Kevin Cussick

this is because it is nvda f7 hope this helps.

--
*/Brian/*
*//**/The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment./*

Actually, this was a typo, but I will admit that I was trying both F6 and F7 along with the NVDA key.

I'm back at home now but at least 50% of the time or more if I do NVDA+F7 I get the dialog box about turning Caret Browsing on or off, which I do not ever recall as happening before.

I was also getting some very weird misbehavior out of JAWS 18 with regard to its interaction with the use of WinKey and typing to search.  I think the latest dot update fixed that, but more testing will be required.

Gene

It sounds as though this may not be an NVDA problem.  Are you using the same version of Windows as the student?  If so, perhaps a Windows update has caused problems.  It's unlikely that the insert key would work intermittently on two different screen-readers unless it actually isn't working properly for some other reason.

Sent: Friday, April 28, 2017 6:00 PM

Actually, this was a typo, but I will admit that I was trying both F6 and F7 along with the NVDA key.

I'm back at home now but at least 50% of the time or more if I do NVDA+F7 I get the dialog box about turning Caret Browsing on or off, which I do not ever recall as happening before.

I was also getting some very weird misbehavior out of JAWS 18 with regard to its interaction with the use of WinKey and typing to search.  I think the latest dot update fixed that, but more testing will be required.

Rui Fontes

It can be caused by the browser is not yet ready, so NVDA is not yet in browse mode, and in that case, only F7 is sent to the application, and that command is for activating the mouse mode...

Rui

It sounds as though this may not be an NVDA problem. Are you using the same version of Windows as the student? If so, perhaps a Windows update has caused problems. It's unlikely that the insert key would work intermittently on two different screen-readers unless it actually isn't working properly for some other reason.

Actually, this was a typo, but I will admit that I was trying both F6 and F7 along with the NVDA key.

I'm back at home now but at least 50% of the time or more if I do NVDA+F7 I get the dialog box about turning Caret Browsing on or off, which I do not ever recall as happening before.

I was also getting some very weird misbehavior out of JAWS 18 with regard to its interaction with the use of WinKey and typing to search. I think the latest dot update fixed that, but more testing will be required.

Roger Stewart

I have seen problems with the F7 in nvda where it won't display the elements list but just says something weird like "Carrot Browsing".  I have no idea of what this means, and I think it is of no use to me.  This is kind of rare, and if I hit the F7 a few times, it will go away and I'll get the elements lists.

Roger

Sent: Friday, April 28, 2017 6:00 PM

Actually, this was a typo, but I will admit that I was trying both F6 and F7 along with the NVDA key.

I'm back at home now but at least 50% of the time or more if I do NVDA+F7 I get the dialog box about turning Caret Browsing on or off, which I do not ever recall as happening before.

I was also getting some very weird misbehavior out of JAWS 18 with regard to its interaction with the use of WinKey and typing to search.  I think the latest dot update fixed that, but more testing will be required.

Andre Fisher

Let me ask you, are you in focus mode when this occurs? For example,
you go to the Google homepage. If you try this command in focus mode,
it won't work. If you try this command anywhere outside of browse
mode, where you can use single letter navigation, such as on the
address bar, it won't work.

Regards

On 4/28/2017 7:05 PM, Gene wrote:
It sounds as though this may not be an NVDA problem. Are you using
the same version of Windows as the student? If so, perhaps a Windows
update has caused problems. It's unlikely that the insert key would
work intermittently on two different screen-readers unless it actually
isn't working properly for some other reason.
Actually, this was a typo, but I will admit that I was trying both F6
and F7 along with the NVDA key.

I'm back at home now but at least 50% of the time or more if I do
NVDA+F7 I get the dialog box about turning Caret Browsing on or off,
which I do not ever recall as happening before.

I was also getting some very weird misbehavior out of JAWS 18 with
regard to its interaction with the use of WinKey and typing to search.
I think the latest dot update fixed that, but more testing will be
required.

hi.
did you try nvda+f7 in microsoft edge or aby other browsers?
if in microsoft edge, its maybe related to the microsoft edge.
i read somewhere that microsoft recommended that not install update
for windows ten not now to fix the bugs and provide a good operating
system.
and i dont think that you see this behaviour in any browser except edge.

On 4/28/2017 7:05 PM, Gene wrote:
It sounds as though this may not be an NVDA problem. Are you using
the same version of Windows as the student? If so, perhaps a Windows
update has caused problems. It's unlikely that the insert key would
work intermittently on two different screen-readers unless it actually
isn't working properly for some other reason.
Actually, this was a typo, but I will admit that I was trying both F6
and F7 along with the NVDA key.

I'm back at home now but at least 50% of the time or more if I do
NVDA+F7 I get the dialog box about turning Caret Browsing on or off,
which I do not ever recall as happening before.

I was also getting some very weird misbehavior out of JAWS 18 with
regard to its interaction with the use of WinKey and typing to search.
I think the latest dot update fixed that, but more testing will be
required.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Just FYI:

1.  All issues on a machine running Win10 Home 64-bit Version 1703, Build 15063.250

2. Tried in IE11 and Chrome.

3. Also tried toggling between Browse and Focus mode, and am using the Focus Highlight add-on.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

Andre Fisher

Have you tried this with add-ons disabled? How about assigning an
additional keystroke to this command?

Just FYI:

1.  All issues on a machine running Win10 Home 64-bit Version 1703, Build
15063.250

2. Tried in IE11 and Chrome.

3. Also tried toggling between Browse and Focus mode, and am using the Focus
Highlight add-on.

--
*Brian*

*     * *The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in
the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting
moment.*

*           ~ Dorothy Nevill*

**

Chris Mullins

Caret browsing is a function of some browsers and a Chrome add-on, all enabled using F7 key.  Here is an extract from an article describing it’s use:

Google Chrome’s Caret Browsing:

We all are aware of the difficulty we face every time we try selecting some text from a web page using a mouse. Most of the time either our hand slips or the pointer stops working after selecting half the text! Caret browsing is extremely helpful if you are into frequent text selection and text copying from web pages.

For long reads from web pages where extensive page navigation is required, caret browsing is the ideal tool for you. You can already use caret browsing in Firefox and Internet Explorer by pressing F7 (for enabling and disabling the feature). The feature has been recently made available in Google Chrome with the help of a caret browsing extension.

Caret Browsing – What it means!

Caret browsing is nothing but a technique for keyboard navigation where we can move the text cursor on a web page like we do in any document or text editor. This is another helpful extension which has been offered to us by the Google Accessibility team, like they did with the Google Tone, Chrome Vox, the Colour Enhancer extension and many more. It really is a boon for die-hard Chrome users who are into text documenting work.

How to Use it!

•Go to Chrome Web Store and install the extension for Caret Browsing, like you do for installing any extension in Chrome.

•You can enable or disable the browsing mode with the F7 key, like you do in Firefox or Internet Explorer.

•Go to the part of the text where you want your text cursor to be in. Click there.

•Now you can use the arrow keys to move up and down the text like you do in any text editor.

•In case you want to skip certain words, you can use Ctrl along with the arrow keys.

•In order to select text, use Shift + arrow keys.

•If you want to open a link posted on the web page, go to the hyperlink and press enter. The link gets automatically focussed once the cursor reaches there.

•For coming out from a focused control (list box or a text box), press Esc and then the right or left arrow key.

For enhanced caret browsing experience, you can also install the keyboard shortcut extension from the Chrome Web Store.

Cheeers

Chris

Sent: Friday, April 28, 2017 6:00 PM

Actually, this was a typo, but I will admit that I was trying both F6 and F7 along with the NVDA key.

I'm back at home now but at least 50% of the time or more if I do NVDA+F7 I get the dialog box about turning Caret Browsing on or off, which I do not ever recall as happening before.

I was also getting some very weird misbehavior out of JAWS 18 with regard to its interaction with the use of WinKey and typing to search.  I think the latest dot update fixed that, but more testing will be required.

Sometimes it happens to me, too. I believe this happens, because the
page has nott completely loaded. If I wait a little and then press f7
then I get the list of elements.