Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 6:40 AM
Subject: [nvda] problems with vfo

hello

When I called vfo in the past they seemed quite hostile to my suggestion
of making a free version of jaws. And also if you get a braille display
in the future, I would recommend getting an orbit reader20 braille
display plus book reader plus note taker all in one, from american
printing house. It will probably be released next month in June. And a
brand new orbit20 will only cost around or a bit less than $500 and its
liquid and dust resistant, rugged and durable, the only one made to work
in hostile environments. And it works good with NVDA.

John Hedges

That is pretty high praise for the Orbit Reader20. I do not know of any refreshable braille display that is industrial grade, for harsh environments.

Just a note that Window-Eyes was merged with AiSquared some 3 years ago, so it is now owned by BFO.

John

Do you think that if Window-eyes was in the same economic position as VFO that there would be a free version?  Why should a for profit company give away one of its important profit-making products?

Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 6:40 AM

hello

When I called vfo in the past they seemed quite hostile to my suggestion
of making a free version of jaws. And also if you get a braille display
in the future, I would recommend getting an orbit reader20 braille
display plus book reader plus note taker all in one, from american
printing house. It will probably be released next month in June. And a
brand new orbit20 will only cost around or a bit less than $500 and its
liquid and dust resistant, rugged and durable, the only one made to work
in hostile environments. And it works good with NVDA.

Chris

They would have to pay me for windows eyes as for jaws for free basically too many suckerz out there for that to happen!!!

Buddy Brannan

I doubt the Orbit has anything like a mil spec rating, but it was designed to withstand harsher environments, as it's meant to bring lower cost braille to less developed parts of the world among other populations. Also supposed to be more easily repaired, whatever that means. All I can tell you about it for certain is that it makes really nice braille.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194

On May 3, 2017, at 8:06 AM, John Hedges <jhedges@...> wrote:

[...]

Gene

Yes, and who knows what would have happened if G W Micro had been aquired earlier.  Whatever might have happened, I doubt that Window-eyes was doing well at the time the free version was offered.  If it had been doing well, the company would probably have continued the product as a sale only item.

Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 7:06 AM

Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 6:40 AM

hello

When I called vfo in the past they seemed quite hostile to my suggestion
of making a free version of jaws. And also if you get a braille display
in the future, I would recommend getting an orbit reader20 braille
display plus book reader plus note taker all in one, from american
printing house. It will probably be released next month in June. And a
brand new orbit20 will only cost around or a bit less than $500 and its
liquid and dust resistant, rugged and durable, the only one made to work
in hostile environments. And it works good with NVDA.

hi.
i dont understand.
do you mean that freedom scientific wants to release free version of
jaws like about nvda which is free for all users?
i appreciate if you explane for me.
thanks so much and God bless you all.

On 5/3/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

enes sarıbaş

why should blind people be required to pay significantly to get access to crucial applications on their computers? Something, I might add sighted people take for granted.

Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 6:40 AM

hello

When I called vfo in the past they seemed quite hostile to my suggestion
of making a free version of jaws. And also if you get a braille display
in the future, I would recommend getting an orbit reader20 braille
display plus book reader plus note taker all in one, from american
printing house. It will probably be released next month in June. And a
brand new orbit20 will only cost around or a bit less than $500 and its
liquid and dust resistant, rugged and durable, the only one made to work
in hostile environments. And it works good with NVDA.

Gene

That argument may have applied years ago but with the development of NVDA, it no longer does.  And why is it FS, I don't remember the new name, responsibility to shoulder the burden.  If such a need still existed, it would make much more sense for the government to do so or for there to be perhaps a penny tax on computers to pay for adaptive equipment in general, no matter the disability.  But it makes no sense to ask a small company to pay for universal access.

Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 1:40 PM

Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 6:40 AM

hello

When I called vfo in the past they seemed quite hostile to my suggestion
of making a free version of jaws. And also if you get a braille display
in the future, I would recommend getting an orbit reader20 braille
display plus book reader plus note taker all in one, from american
printing house. It will probably be released next month in June. And a
brand new orbit20 will only cost around or a bit less than $500 and its
liquid and dust resistant, rugged and durable, the only one made to work
in hostile environments. And it works good with NVDA.

Peter Beasley

That’s why I use NVDA.

Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 7:40 PM

Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 6:40 AM

hello

When I called vfo in the past they seemed quite hostile to my suggestion
of making a free version of jaws. And also if you get a braille display
in the future, I would recommend getting an orbit reader20 braille
display plus book reader plus note taker all in one, from american
printing house. It will probably be released next month in June. And a
brand new orbit20 will only cost around or a bit less than $500 and its
liquid and dust resistant, rugged and durable, the only one made to work
in hostile environments. And it works good with NVDA.

It sounds like thats where I will go to.

I hate to say this but it looks like vfo is not a company I want to deal with if at all possible now if my workplace wants jaws I will use it but even so.

On 3/05/2017 11:40 p.m., Josh Kennedy wrote:
hello

When I called vfo in the past they seemed quite hostile to my suggestion of making a free version of jaws. And also if you get a braille display in the future, I would recommend getting an orbit reader20 braille display plus book reader plus note taker all in one, from american printing house. It will probably be released next month in June. And a brand new orbit20 will only cost around or a bit less than $500 and its liquid and dust resistant, rugged and durable, the only one made to work in hostile environments. And it works good with NVDA.

.

I am sooo! looking forward to the Orbit! Are they out yet?
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 9:14 PM

It sounds like thats where I will go to.

I hate to say this but it looks like vfo is not a company I want to deal
with if at all possible now if my workplace wants jaws I will use it but
even so.

On 3/05/2017 11:40 p.m., Josh Kennedy wrote:
> hello
>
> When I called vfo in the past they seemed quite hostile to my
> suggestion of making a free version of jaws. And also if you get a
> braille display in the future, I would recommend getting an orbit
> reader20 braille display plus book reader plus note taker all in one,
> from american printing house. It will probably be released next month
> in June. And a brand new orbit20 will only cost around or a bit less
> than $500 and its liquid and dust resistant, rugged and durable, the
> only one made to work in hostile environments. And it works good with
> NVDA.
>

> .

speaking of vfo they just snatched up another company

I sware there ought to be a federal investigation in to there practices and I am dead serious on that one.

see the below article from blind bargains.

VFO Expands Again with Acquisition of The Paciello Group

VFO, owners of the Freedom Scientific, Optelec, and AI Squared brands, is growing in size once again with the acquisition of The Paciello Group.
Founded in 2002, The Paciello Group specializes in accessibility testing and remediation, especially as it relates to WCAG 2.0 and Section 508, two standards which guide organizations and government agencies toward accessibility compliance. VFO had an existing team specializing in enterprise-class accessibility solutions, though the acquisition will allow them to put much more of a focus on these areas.
Some of their clients according to their website include AT&T, The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Google, Hyatt, and Charles Schwab.

In Their Own Words

The Paciello Group is passionately dedicated to helping government agencies, technology vendors, e-commerce corporations, and educational institutions make their technology equally accessible to all people, including those with disabilities. The company offers professional consulting, technology solutions, and services to ensure that clients reach all audiences effectively and efficiently while meeting commercial, governmental and international standards such as Section 508 and WCAG.

Source: The Paciello Group
Category: News
Displaying 1 comment.
darknexus Tuesday, 02-May-2017 07:25 AM ET:

Holy crap. Does anyone else realize that in any other industry, this would be grounds for a Federal investigation? Is anyone else worried by the worst screen reader maker acquiring the entire AT industry outside of Apple and Google? I know I am, considering their track record of crazy litigation.

source:

https://www.blindbargains.com/bargains.php?m=17124

thanks

Hank

On 5/3/2017 6:14 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
It sounds like thats where I will go to.

I hate to say this but it looks like vfo is not a company I want to deal with if at all possible now if my workplace wants jaws I will use it but even so.

On 3/05/2017 11:40 p.m., Josh Kennedy wrote:
hello

When I called vfo in the past they seemed quite hostile to my suggestion of making a free version of jaws. And also if you get a braille display in the future, I would recommend getting an orbit reader20 braille display plus book reader plus note taker all in one, from american printing house. It will probably be released next month in June. And a brand new orbit20 will only cost around or a bit less than $500 and its liquid and dust resistant, rugged and durable, the only one made to work in hostile environments. And it works good with NVDA.

.

Andre Fisher

Oh boy.

Take a look at this article.
https://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2016/03/the-paciello-group-and-nv-access-announce-partnership/

What will this mean for this deal?

On 5/4/17, The Wolf <hank.smith966@...> wrote:
speaking of vfo they just snatched up another company

I sware there ought to be a federal investigation in to there practices
and I am dead serious on that one.

see the below article from blind bargains.

VFO Expands Again with Acquisition of The Paciello Group

J.J. Meddaugh <https://www.blindbargains.com/aboutauthor.php?u=1> May
01, 2017 7:22 PM ET

[...]

<http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?r=17124>
*Category:* News <https://www.blindbargains.com/bargains.php?cat_id=33>
Displaying 1 comment.
darknexus <https://www.blindbargains.com/view.php?u=1419> Tuesday,
[...]

It won't mean much of anything.  The acquisition may give VFO people with expertise in areas they don't have or don't have as much in now but it isn't in an area that they are competing directly in or are dominant in.  This is a lot of hand wringing over nothing.  It's obvious that VFo is losing significant market share to JAWS in the personal use market.  I don't know about in the business and academic markets.  But VFo is not a monopoly.

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 2:27 AM

> [...]

>> It sounds like thats where I will go to.
>>
>> I hate to say this but it looks like vfo is not a company I want to
>> deal with if at all possible now if my workplace wants jaws I will use
>> it but even so.
>>

>> On 3/05/2017 11:40 p.m., Josh Kennedy wrote:
>>> hello
>>>
>>> When I called vfo in the past they seemed quite hostile to my
>>> suggestion of making a free version of jaws. And also if you get a
>>> braille display in the future, I would recommend getting an orbit
>>> reader20 braille display plus book reader plus note taker all in one,
>>> from american printing house. It will probably be released next month
>>> in June. And a brand new orbit20 will only cost around or a bit less
>>> than $500 and its liquid and dust resistant, rugged and durable, the
>>> only one made to work in hostile environments. And it works good with

Gene

I didn't notice that the link in the second message isn't the same as the material presented in the original.  I just read the article about the NVDA partnership and all I can say is, we'll have to see what happens.  The Paciello Group may terminate the partnership under VFO and that might hurt NVDA's advancement in the specific area of Internet accessibility but before people get upset about this, I would suggest waiting for comments from NVDA developers and others who are knowledgeable about the subject.  Becoming emotional and denouncing VFO at this time with almost no information is premature and may lead to a lot of erroneous conclusions.

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 2:27 AM

> [...]

>> It sounds like thats where I will go to.
>>
>> I hate to say this but it looks like vfo is not a company I want to
>> deal with if at all possible now if my workplace wants jaws I will use
>> it but even so.
>>

>> On 3/05/2017 11:40 p.m., Josh Kennedy wrote:
>>> hello
>>>
>>> When I called vfo in the past they seemed quite hostile to my
>>> suggestion of making a free version of jaws. And also if you get a
>>> braille display in the future, I would recommend getting an orbit
>>> reader20 braille display plus book reader plus note taker all in one,
>>> from american printing house. It will probably be released next month
>>> in June. And a brand new orbit20 will only cost around or a bit less
>>> than $500 and its liquid and dust resistant, rugged and durable, the
>>> only one made to work in hostile environments. And it works good with

Hmmm I do wander, with the things I am hearing about customer service with vfo, I have allready decided that no matter what they are selling I will never buy their stuff unless its part of a business need for something.

This shows nvaccess is getting some muscle.

We can't move mountains but we can try.

On 4/05/2017 7:27 p.m., Andre Fisher wrote:
[...]

Hmmm and nvaccess is partnering with this group said the article I just read from the list.

Ug, yeah something definately is wrong with freedomscientiffic/vfo.

Its why I still used dolphin for some stuff their support was good.

They have changed their distributer locally but its still good.

On 4/05/2017 5:58 p.m., The Wolf wrote:
[...]

I don't know enough about their customer service to draw any conclusions.  Also, people who have bad experiences are far more likely to complain about anything than people who have good experiences are to compliment it.  So, without a sense of how such impressions are derived and what the sources of information are and how accurate they may be, such comments cannot be assumed to represent the actual state of affairs.  I had a problem with Openbook about two weeks ago and a support agent provided the solution quickly and accurately.  That is just one person's experience with one agent dealing with one product.  How many other good experiences are there that aren't discussed because, as I said, good experiences are not discussed nearly as much as bad ones are.

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 3:36 AM

> [...]

>> Displaying 1 comment.
>> darknexus <https://www.blindbargains.com/view.php?u=1419> Tuesday,
>> 02-May-2017 07:25 AM ET:
>>
>> Holy crap. Does anyone else realize that in any other industry, this
>> would be grounds for a Federal investigation? Is anyone else worried by
>> the worst screen reader maker acquiring the entire AT industry outside
>> of Apple and Google? I know I am, considering their track record of
>> crazy litigation.
>>
>> source:
>>
>> https://www.blindbargains.com/bargains.php?m=17124
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Hank
>>

>> On 5/3/2017 6:14 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
>>> It sounds like thats where I will go to.
>>>
>>> I hate to say this but it looks like vfo is not a company I want to
>>> deal with if at all possible now if my workplace wants jaws I will use

Gene

Wrong?  Maybe it's a sign that NVDA is offering significant competition to JAWS and VFO is acting in the same way as businesses act when they face significant competition.  As I said, we don't know enough about the implications for NVDA development to know if that is an important factor in the acquisition.  Maybe, maybe not.  NVDA is certainly competitive enough, I would think to not be significantly harmed if the partnership is terminated.  As far as VFO is concerned, that's how businesses operate in a more or less free market and, unless it can be shown that VFO is a significant threat to competition in the screen-reader field, that's just how things are.  I hardly think they are.  They continue to lose market share to NVDA and they have lost some to apple and to System Access.  More blind people use mobile devices and they may have lost a small amount of market share to that.  Many people use the free Window-eyes and they probably lost some market share to that.  Even if Window-eyes is not developed further, when it becomes too outdated to be used, those using it are much more likely to switch to NVDA than go back to a paying product.  I see increasingly on other lists I follow, NVDA being used by more people and new users ask questions fairly often on those lists.  The frequency of such discussions is significantly higher than it was perhaps six months or a year ago.  Whether people like what VFO does or not, it is not outside of expected behavior in business standards in the United States.  If you don't like those standards, that's another question.

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 3:40 AM