best way to read news with the app in Windows 10

Jessica D <jldail13@...>

Hi,

I would like to know how to read news using the news app in Windows 10.

NVDA and narrator won’t work for this.

Can anyonr help?

Thanks,

Jessica

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

AVG logo

www.avg.com

David Moore

Hi Jessica,

I use the touch cursor in JAWS to navigate the News App. This works very well. When you open the News App with JAWS 17 or 18, the touch cursor will come on automatically, and you can start pressing the right and left arrow keys to go through the different News articles. When you hear a title of a news article, press enter, then you can press right arrow to read the different hunks of the article. The entire article will not read; you pres the right arrow, listen to part of it, then press right arrow to hear more until you are done. If you want to use all of your reading commands to read word by word, for example, you have to enter text mode. To do this, press insert+enter. You will hear a sound, and then you can read that section of the article with up and arrow, and so on. When you are ready to go back to the touch cursor, just press escape, and then you can right arrow to the next hunk. You will know when you come to the end of that article, and then you just keep pressing the right arrow to get to the next article with the touch cursor turned on. To set up your news so you will get the articles that you are interested in to come up, turn off the touch cursor, and tab to a list of the different kinds of news that you can select from. Top headlines is already chosen. You can choose from sports news, and many other types of news. From then on, those articles of news will be there as you press the right arrow with the touch cursor turned on. Let us know if you have anymore questions after you try this. Let us know how it goes.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I would like to know how to read news using the news app in Windows 10.

NVDA and narrator won’t work for this.

Can anyonr help?

Thanks,

Jessica

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Jessica D <jldail13@...>

Hi,I'm using NVDA, master snapshots, which are much more stable, on Windows 10, version 1703, rather than NVDA 2017.1.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 3, 2017, at 8:20 PM, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

[...]

That is great!

I will have to try those out. I use NVDA a lot as well.

Have a great one.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I would like to know how to read news using the news app in Windows 10.

NVDA and narrator won’t work for this.

Can anyonr help?

Thanks,

Jessica

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Gene

Do you know about working with object navigation?  The JAWS touch cursor is the rough equivalent of object navigation. I almost never use JAWS these days and I don't have Windows 10 but if you learn about object navigation, it will likely allow you to do what you want.  Other list members who know more about working with apps may have other, better suggestions but whatever the case, learning about object navigation is very worth while and it allows me to work with interfaces I couldn't work with otherwise.

I would like to know how to read news using the news app in Windows 10.

NVDA and narrator won’t work for this.

Can anyonr help?

Thanks,

Jessica

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

AVG logo

www.avg.com

David Moore

Yes, using object navigation is the answer to accessing a lot with NVDA. Object navigation is very similar to the JAWS touch cursor. I would not even suggest using NVDA without learning all of the object navigations key commands. That is what makes NVDA access more controls for me than JAWS in programs and on web pages. Just press NVDA+N and arrow to the help menu, and open the users guide. Chapters 4 and five are crucial to memorize, because that is where you learn all about navigating with the review cursor, and navigating to each object or control and then reading what is on that object with the reading commands for the review cursor. I have tutorials for all of that.

David Moore

[...]

Andre Fisher

I have found that using the NVDA add-on ObjPad with the News App with
Scan mode is a good experience. See the add-on site for info.

On 5/3/17, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:
[...]

Additionally, on just using the app, Object navigation is extremely
good. So there's no need for an add-on after all.

On 5/3/17, Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@...> wrote:
[...]

can I get the website with your tutorials?

On 5/3/2017 5:51 PM, David Moore wrote:

[...]

Here is a good website with a lot of NVDA tutorials. Just keep pressing H until you get to the tutorial you want. Most of them are audio tutorials that you can either listen to or download. Here is the web site:

http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20tutorials.html

Have a great one!

David Moore