Problem reading links with NVDA

Stephen Costigan

Hi,

I hope that you can help me. I am having a problem with NVDA reading the
full description of links.

I have tried this with Narrator and there was no problem.

This issue occurs when the link is on two or more lines NVDA only reads
the first line.

Please see below web page as an example of what I mean.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22798/windows-10-narrator-get-started

I am using the latest update of NVDA and Windows 10.

Also is there a way to get NVDA to read text continuously as currently I
have to keep moving the mouse over each line to read out each line.

Thank you in advance of your help.

Regards,

Stephen

---
http://www.avg.com

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

hi

out of curosity how are you driving NVDA on this page.

one line at a time or are you using the say all command. for example
nvda key + down arrow key for desk top.

the second question is to is screen layout turned on? or is it off?

If it is on if i remember right it will put the text on one line and the
links on another.

I have mine turned off while in the browser use the nvda key + the letter V

You should hear then if it has been turned on or off. Just repeat it to
turn it off.

it can also be found under the browse mode settings in nvda, just
uncheck the box if you go that way.

Gene nz

--
Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net. Regardless of where you

Stephen Costigan

Hi Gene,

Thank you for the reply.

I am using the Say all command.

I have tried with screen layout both on and off and still the same problem.

This issue just happens in Firefox as i have just tried it in Internet
Explorer and NVDA reads out the full link.

I don't really use Internet Explorer as it is very slow.

Regards,

Stephen

On 07/05/2017 07:46, Gene New Zealand wrote:
[...]

Try using the command insert down arrow.  You can use either insert.  That is the read to end command, if you are using the default desktop layout, and it reads from the location of the cursor or on a web page, the virtual cursor until you stop reading or until you get to the end of the document.  People usually use control to stop reading.  I don't know how you are reading web pages but how yu are reading may be the problem.  Using the command I gave may cause yu not to have the problem.

Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 12:12 AM
Subject: [nvda] Problem reading links with NVDA

Hi,

I hope that you can help me. I am having a problem with NVDA reading the
full description of links.

I have tried this with Narrator and there was no problem.

This issue occurs when the link is on two or more lines NVDA only reads
the first line.

Please see below web page as an example of what I mean.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22798/windows-10-narrator-get-started

I am using the latest update of NVDA and Windows 10.

Also is there a way to get NVDA to read text continuously as currently I
have to keep moving the mouse over each line to read out each line.

Thank you in advance of your help.

Regards,

Stephen

---
http://www.avg.com

Gene

But the person is using the mouse and that is probably the cause of the problem, using the mouse not as intended.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 1:46 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problem reading links with NVDA

--
Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net. Regardless of where you
are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a
copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out
which locations or location is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries |
Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa -

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think your problem is that you are using the mouse, not the keyboard shortcuts.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I hope that you can help me. I am having a problem with NVDA reading the
full description of links.

I have tried this with Narrator and there was no problem.

This issue occurs when the link is on two or more lines NVDA only reads
the first line.

Please see below web page as an example of what I mean.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22798/windows-10-narrator-get-started

I am using the latest update of NVDA and Windows 10.

Also is there a way to get NVDA to read text continuously as currently I
have to keep moving the mouse over each line to read out each line.

Thank you in advance of your help.

Regards,

Stephen

---
http://www.avg.com

Gene

Well, if you are using the command I gave and are still having problems, I don't know why.  You asked for a command to read from where you are, which is the command I gave.  Try starting at the top of the page, using the keyboard command control home and using the read to end command.  I don't know just how and to what extent you are using the mouse and doing so will help to determine if that is contributing at all to the problem.  If you still have incorrect reading, try disconnecting the mouse if you are using a physical mouse that can be disconnected such as with a USB port. Then try the read to end command again.  I don't think that will help with the problem at all, but it's another thing to try.

Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 2:58 AM

Hi Gene,

Thank you for the reply.

I am using the Say all command.

I have tried with screen layout both on and off and still the same problem.

This issue just happens in Firefox as i have just tried it in Internet
Explorer and NVDA reads out the full link.

I don't really use Internet Explorer as it is very slow.

Regards,

Stephen

On 07/05/2017 07:46, Gene New Zealand wrote:
> hi
>

> out of curosity how are you driving NVDA on this page.
>

> one line at a time or are you using the say all command. for example
> nvda key + down arrow key for desk top.
>

> the second question is to is screen layout turned on? or is it off?
>

> If it is on if i remember right it will put the text on one line and the
> links on another.
>

> I have mine turned off while in the browser use the nvda key + the letter V
>

> You should hear then if it has been turned on or off. Just repeat it to
> turn it off.
>

> it can also be found under the browse mode settings in nvda, just
> uncheck the box if you go that way.
>

> Gene nz
>

> On 7/05/2017 5:12 PM, Stephen Costigan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I hope that you can help me. I am having a problem with NVDA reading the
>> full description of links.
>>
>> I have tried this with Narrator and there was no problem.
>>
>> This issue occurs when the link is on two or more lines NVDA only reads
>> the first line.
>>
>> Please see below web page as an example of what I mean.
>>
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22798/windows-10-narrator-get-started
>>
>> I am using the latest update of NVDA and Windows 10.
>>
>> Also is there a way to get NVDA to read text continuously as currently I
>> have to keep moving the mouse over each line to read out each line.
>>

>> Thank you in advance of your help.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Stephen
>>

>> ---
>> http://www.avg.com

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well looking at that page here in firefox I see no problems at all. it works and sounds as it should using the keyboard. I'd imagine though that wobbling about the page with a mouse could produce some very weird results unless you truly can see the pointer accurately.