From: Justin Harris
Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 4:45 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Windows apps

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone is having a blessed day. I have been an NVDA user now

for quite some time, but just found out about this list.

I currently have a desktop which I use to run my online radio station.

Also I will be getting a laptop here pretty quick. On the desktop, I

have played around a bit with apps from the Windows App Store, with

mixed results. A lot of them can be used with object navigation, but

most info can't be accessed in the tab order or with arrow keys. For

example, the Weather Channel app. On other platforms it works quite

well. But on Windows, it's a mess. However, I was pleased to find that,

with the Bible app, I could navigate between the different books and

chapters. However, other things such as the verse of the day and

settings, were only available through object navigation.

So, my question is, is there a web page out there somewhere that gives

recommendations of accessible apps? If not, which apps, if any, are you

all using?

I have found that a lot of apps work quite well with Narrator. I

particularly like their Browse mode. However, NVDA offers me things that

Narrator doesn't, such as being able to change the voice with just a

keystroke. Also, I have been using NVDA for long enough that I am

familiar with it. I would prefer not to have to learn another whole set

of key commands. Not a big deal for my desktop, as it is pretty much

only for radio use, but with this laptop, I would like to take advantage

of more of these Windows apps.

Thanks,

Justin

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Justin

it will depend on the app what you might be able to do.

Some work straight out of the box with tabbing to get to different parts
of it. Pressing the space bar to open certain sections.

which are buttons some times you have to use object navigation to get to
certain parts of the app.

in other parts you have to use the text review command.

the section you will need to sus out is 5.6 or around that area in the
user guide.

The sections that cover review text and object navigation. they would be
worth getting your head around and will let you get to stuff that you
can not get to with the normal focus some times.

I have just recorded a audio tutorial on the windows store and in the
process of writing up a written one that might help some who might want
to use the store.

But it uses the basics of tabing/ shift/tabing, object navigation and
text review.

I did not buy a app though.

The written part is still a rough draft and both will be posted to the
website of mine if you do not know it already.

if you do not know of it the website has both blindness related material
plus nvda tutorials both written and audio. it can be found at
http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

the commands are for a desk top computer as that is what i use.

Gene nz

--
Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net. Regardless of where you

Justin Harris <justin171185@...>

Hi there, and thanks for the in depth response. That is interesting, as I have stumbled over your site a number of times when just googling different info. Like I said, it might be helpful to create an app directory that reviews apps for their accessibility.

El 7/5/2017 a las 18:35, Gene New Zealand escribió:
[...]

Hello,

Thanks for this info. Glad to know that I wasn't missing something. Like I said, a lot of these apps work much better in Narrator, but I don't want to have to learn a completely different screen reader. But glad to know I wasn't doing something wrong. Any experience with the Facebook app?

El 7/5/2017 a las 17:59, David Moore escribió:

Hi Justin,

You are not doing anything differently that I am doing. I use NVDA in the Windows apps as well, and it does take a lot of object navigation. An app is set up so differently, that the tab, arrow keys, and so on, will not work in most apps. The apps I use well with NVDAare:

The store app, which can be used by just tabbing. Also, Watch ESPN, which takes a little use of object navigation, you can mostly tab. The NEWS app works great with NVDA, but you have to use a lot of object navigation to read and access the articles. I use the mail, calendar, and people apps all of the time with NVDA. I am using the Mail app right now. Those three apps work by just tabbing, pretty much. I do not use object navigation in the mail app at all. I also use the Groove app with NVDA using about half of just tabbing, and half object navigation. One thing you need to know about apps, is that there are hardly any key commands that can get you around the app quickly. You are stuck with tabbing a lot. Once you figure how many times you have to tab to get somewhere, you can tab that many times very quickly. I hope that helps a little.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Andre Fisher

You can try the ObjPad add-on on the community site. It has a scan
mode that you can toggle to and get the best results. The News app
works quite well, Skype preview is very, very good.

On 5/7/17, Justin Harris <justin171185@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Windows 10

[...]

I do not know about the face book app but did a while ago did a tutorial on how to use the basics of the main face book website. the other one is quite easy to use that is for the mobile one.

There is a i think a written and or audio tutorial on the nvda tutorials for other programs page at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20tutorials%20for%20other%20programs.html

You will need to jump down by headings to the ones about face book. then there will be a link just under the heading to them.

Gene nz

On 8/05/2017 1:46 PM, Justin Harris wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Despite repeated feedback, the current situation with Facebook app (inaccessible for keyboard users) is likely to persist for a while. Thank you for reminding me to use an app like this for my upcoming NVDACon presentation on universal apps.

Cheers,

Joseph (author of Windows 10 App Essentials, ObjPad, GoldWave add-ons and maintainer of SPL Studio and Resource Monitor add-ons)

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

This is something Microsoft need to get sorted out as most people with limited time will just throw them out and find a real bit of software that does work.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

It will be a very short list... :-)
[...]

Tea Turković

Hi,

did someone try to use native Twitter app with NVDA?

Kind regards,
Tea Turkovic

8.5.2017. u 5:12, Joseph Lee je napisao/la:

[...]

I use the facebook main site a decent amount, but was hoping the app would be decent. At least as good as the Android version. I'm just amazed that after so many years since the launch of the app store, after all this happened back in Windows 8, and while Edge has gottten better, these apps from the app store have no accessibility requirements it would seem. At least they don't seem to play well with other screen readers that aren't Narrator.

El 7/5/2017 a las 21:36, Gene New Zealand escribió:

[...]

Ah, glad I could help. 😊 Btw, I love what you have done with the Station Playlist addon. Great work..

Another random question... Any idea whatever came of ATPrime? It was supposed to help screen readers get more information for nonlabeled or poorly labeled controls, as well as enable easier access to things that we would normally have to use object navigation for. On the web site, it is mentioned that this was in development and was supposed to come out in late 2015, but here we are in 2017, and nothing. I only ask this, because I wonder if something like this would make some of these universal apps easier to use.

Thanks,

Justin

El 7/5/2017 a las 22:12, Joseph Lee escribió:

[...]

As for that, I don’t know.

Regarding making universal apps accessible, there are several issues. There are several documents from Microsoft that basically tells app developers to try to make their apps accessible for everyone (including for screen reader users), but some doesn’t seem to get it (this is after over 30 months of being a Windows Insider and sending feedback to numerous vendors, including numerous feedback to Facebook). Second issue is continuous development model employed by Microsoft where API’s used by universal apps will change from time to time (mostly with some kind of a notice). Lastly, mindset of users play a huge part in this ecosystem – no feedback means no progress, and users MUST (yes, must) be willing to explore what’s out there, otherwise users will insist on using a limited set of apps (that’s why I always encourage other Windows 10 users to explore various universal apps and let us know if there are issues to be aware of).

Cheers,

Joseph