From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Fantasy Sports
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 6:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Scanning and Reading PDF files

If I scanned a book or magazine page into a PDF file
using a basic scanner, do I need a professional OCR
program to extract the text?

NVDA does seem to have its own decoding system for
PDF files, but I think it depends how the document
was scanned or prepared.

Does anyone know?

Fantasy Sports <fantasylife@...>

I just hit the Start Scan on the Epson Printer, and
choose to scan to PDF.

It creates a PDF file, but the text is not yet readable
by NVDA.

I think I need an OCR program, but Adobe Reader doesn't
have any option like that unless you click CONVERT
and pay for it, I think.

I have some PDF files that NVDA can read without any problems,
but maybe they've been OCR'ed already.

Depends on what version of software you use to scan it.
You cant use acrobat reader to ocr it,
But if you get a standard version of acrobat it should do the ocr on it.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Rich

If I scanned a book or magazine page into a PDF file
using a basic scanner, do I need a professional OCR
program to extract the text?

NVDA does seem to have its own decoding system for
PDF files, but I think it depends how the document
was scanned or prepared.

Does anyone know?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Personally, I'd use a paid for OCR for books, no matter which format you are displaying it as, as lots of errors can occur and you do need to be able to edit the final result.. in my experience a lot, depending on how bad the printing is how the book binding affects the scan. Its not a precise art, though a friend actually seems to get better results on his smart phone with knfb reader than I can with Adbbey or any other one I've tried using a scanner.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

If I scanned a book or magazine page into a PDF file
using a basic scanner, do I need a professional OCR
program to extract the text?

NVDA does seem to have its own decoding system for
PDF files, but I think it depends how the document
was scanned or prepared.

Does anyone know?

hi.
i recommend you to use google ocr.
which is free, but its online and needs to sign in to your google
account if i am correct.
also nvda has one addon for that but i did not test it to explane.
thanks so much and God bless you.

On 5/8/17, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Gene

You may be doing what you want in terms of creating a scannable image in an inefficient way.  I don't know enough about PDF documents to know if it matters.  There are all sorts of image formats and it might be more efficient to scan a page or a document into an image rather than a PDF containing an image.  But I'll let others discuss whether it matters in terms of efficiency what you do.

The reason you see text that NVDA can read in some PDF documents is that they are real text, not images of text.  You can store real text in PDF documents or images.

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 6:21 AM

hi.
i recommend you to use google ocr.
which is free, but its online and needs to sign in to your google
account if i am correct.
also nvda has one addon for that but i did not test it to explane.
thanks so much and God bless you.

> Personally, I'd use a paid for OCR for books, no matter which format you are
>
> displaying it as, as lots of errors can occur and you do  need to be able to
>
> edit the final result.. in my experience a lot, depending on how bad the
> printing is how the book binding affects the scan. Its not a precise art,
> though a friend actually seems to get better results on his smart phone with
>
> knfb reader than I can with Adbbey or any other one I've tried using a
> scanner.
>
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

So if a PDF file can already be read by NVDA, does that mean
that it was already prepared with an OCR program previously?

Can you suggest an Adobe OCR product that is free or not expensive?

Thank you for all your help.

If I scanned a book or magazine page into a PDF file
using a basic scanner, do I need a professional OCR
program to extract the text?

NVDA does seem to have its own decoding system for
PDF files, but I think it depends how the document
was scanned or prepared.

Does anyone know?

Gene

Screen-readers can't read images or pictures of text.  Anything that is read using any program is real text, consisting of computer code for the text.  If you open a PDF document and NVDA reads it, it is real text.  No OCR is necessary.  If you open a document and it’s a picture of text, you must perform OCR on it.

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 1:44 PM

So if a PDF file can already be read by NVDA, does that mean
that it was already prepared with an OCR program previously?

Can you suggest an Adobe OCR product that is free or not expensive?

Thank you for all your help.

>Personally, I'd use a paid for OCR for books, no matter which format you are
>displaying it as, as lots of errors can occur and you do  need to be able to
>edit the final result.. in my experience a lot, depending on how bad the
>printing is how the book binding affects the scan. Its not a precise art,
>though a friend actually seems to get better results on his smart phone with
>knfb reader than I can with Adbbey or any other one I've tried using a
>scanner.
>
>Brian
>
>bglists@...
>Sent via blueyonder.
>Please address personal email to:-
>briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>in the display name field.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

OCR isn't necessary if the person who makes the pdf file puts text into the pdf. Only if the person who prepars the pdf puts images of text in it does OCR need to be run on the pdf file. Most pdf files are created with plain text, and are therefore readable by screen readers. It's only those folks who use screen shots, or graphical representations of text that can't be read directly by screen readers. If you use the control-p command, and tell windows to print to a pdf, as long as you're printing text, it will produce a pdf file that is readable by anyone using a screen reader. If you're using a program that represents text as images (such as most desktop publishing programs), then you will get a graphic picture of the text, and in that case, OCR will be necessary to read the text.

On 5/8/2017 2:44 PM, Fantasy Sports wrote:
So if a PDF file can already be read by NVDA, does that mean
that it was already prepared with an OCR program previously?

Can you suggest an Adobe OCR product that is free or not expensive?

Thank you for all your help.

If I scanned a book or magazine page into a PDF file
using a basic scanner, do I need a professional OCR
program to extract the text?

NVDA does seem to have its own decoding system for
PDF files, but I think it depends how the document
was scanned or prepared.

Does anyone know?

Fantasy Sports <fantasylife@...>

Thank you Travis and Gene for explaining this, it makes sense now.