Topics

nvda compatible firewall?

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Hi all, I just received a little tiny computer a la windows 10. I have one very specific purpose for this little PC and it requires windows, but I really don't want the hell that comes along with windows.

My first idea was to see if I could find or build an ultra-lite windows 10 without cortana, and a whole raft of the other services I never have any intention of using. So much work.

Now I'm thinking just get an ultra-secure software firewall, slap it on and call it done. That and a malware bytes just in case.

I used to use look'n'stop. It hasn't been updated in a while. I'd like to find a modern nvda accessible security equivilant package for the cost of look'n'stop or less.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

I don't quite get the resistance to using the built in Windows Firewall and Windows Defender.  Both have improved significantly over the years.

That's what I've been using on my own, and my clients', Windows 10 systems without issue.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Oh,  I totally get the resistance to using windows security products.  I'm glad you and yours have had no problems but microsoft firewall and antivirus are completely transparent and volnerable.  Do your homework.  Look at third party testing reports and you will see that they don't stack up.  Unfortunately that's also been my personal and professional experience over the years.  I can't stop you from relying on microsoft, but I have to scratch my own head.

Thanks for chiming in, but this isn't quite what I'm looking for.

On May 10, 2017 3:51:19 PM "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...> wrote:

I don't quite get the resistance to using the built in Windows Firewall and Windows Defender.  Both have improved significantly over the years.

That's what I've been using on my own, and my clients', Windows 10 systems without issue.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

What are you going to use this box for?

What spaciffic use will you need the box for.

Is it online or not.

If its not online I'd buy a coppy from ebay of windows 7 or xp and just use it like that.

Or get a little linux distro, with vmware player and just vm the entire thing with windows 10 or something.

Windows 10 is not hell it can be a bit crazy at times but well should work well enough.

On 11/05/2017 4:07 a.m., erik burggraaf wrote:
Hi all, I just received a little tiny computer a la windows 10. I have one very specific purpose for this little PC and it requires windows, but I really don't want the hell that comes along with windows.

My first idea was to see if I could find or build an ultra-lite windows 10 without cortana, and a whole raft of the other services I never have any intention of using. So much work.

Now I'm thinking just get an ultra-secure software firewall, slap it on and call it done. That and a malware bytes just in case.

I used to use look'n'stop. It hasn't been updated in a while. I'd like to find a modern nvda accessible security equivilant package for the cost of look'n'stop or less.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes the real danger area for malware these days is phishing emails and hacked web sites from myexperience. Its far better for the bad folk if you do it to yourself.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-