Accessibility issues

Robert A. Hansen <roberthansen1970@...>

Hello all,

I am Robert H. I have been using NVDA since Fall of 2013. I ran it on Windows 7, Lenovo laptop, and Windows 8.1, Toshiba Satellite laptop. I have had good luck and positive experience with NVDA, including the transition to Windows 10 on both of my laptops in 2015. A few days ago I received a Windows 10 Build 1607 on both of my laptops. I have noticed a big decline in the accessibility of NVDA with this windows update. The ever present "unknown" is all over the place. This occurs on both my laptops that I own. Each laptop has the same build of Windows 10 running on it. I noticed this on the task bar at first. Now I have noticed it on the Mozila Firefox browser and Mozila Thunderbird email program. I use Mozila firefox and thunderbird exclusively. There are a few other places I have heard the "unknon" word uttered. Also, when I backspace to erase or make corrections, I do not hear what I am correcting. Has anyone else out there experienced this decline in accessibility? Am I doing something wrong?

Also webpages do not read correctly or not at all.

Thank you for any help I can get.

--
Sincerely, Robert A. Hansen roberthansen1970@gmail.com WZRD Chicago 88.3 FM www.wzrdchicago.org

Jacob Kruger

Probably a silly question, but, presume you have the windows 10 app essentials add-on installed under NVDA?

Besides that I am currently running the NVDA next snapshot since I allowed windows 10 to update to the creators update version, so am not 100% sure how well NVDA 2017.1 would handle it, but, am not coming across anything like you're mentioning, and, this is on my lenovo w52 laptop, running windows 10 creators update 64 bit.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2017-05-14 23:49, Robert A. Hansen wrote:
Hello all,

[...]

Chris

I would recommend that you upgrade your windows to the latest  build 1703 for best results with nvda

It has greatly improved since your build of 1607

Good luck

[...]

Sincerely, Robert A. Hansen roberthansen1970@... WZRD Chicago 88.3

FM www.wzrdchicago.org

Robert A. Hansen <roberthansen1970@...>

I upgraded my Lenovo earlier this morning.  It works like it should now.  I am in the process of upgrading my Toshiba to the new Creator.  It will work like it should within an hour or so.

Robert

On 5/15/2017 2:13 AM, Chris wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I was just wondering how come its only at that issue when new versions supersede it. Not that I'm worried myself as my windowws 10 machine died and I need to run up som dosh to get another one... grin.
 In the mean time 7 will do and shock horror, xp on this old machine which now sports a new update for the latest malware thanks Microsoft.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

I updated the Toshiba with Creators edition.  Everything is back to normal.  Why do they do this?  I had almost a week of inaccessible computing and thankfully I have two phones I am able to use.  I was at a loss.  I searched the settings and then clicked on updates and security.  I was hesitantabout upgrading to the Creators edition, but when You all advised me to do so, I jumped at the opportunity and did it.  Thank you for the advice.

Robert

On 5/15/2017 12:12 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
[...]

Well this whole mess is why I'm not keen on office that runs on the cloud able to be changed at the whim of some programmer. Seems to me what Microsoft are doing with 10 is progressively breaking a working system then doing a big fix every so often to repair their damage.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
[...]

briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting
'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Well they broke it each release so what is the difference.

lets see, dos 5 was good 6.22 was fine 95 was fine ish 98 se was ok.

2000 was fine but me wasn't xp was fine but retail sucked.

Vista sucked, 7 was fine, 8 sucked 8.1 was a bit better but still sucked.

win10 initial build 10240 was ok build 11000 was fine build 15086 was ok build 1607 was fine build 1703 has a few hickoughs but its ok mostly.

The difference is that at least we don't have to keep paying for releases.

Lets hope ms do what happle does and let you upgrade from os to os for free at least till your hardware doesn't support that version and then well.

The cloud is the future, in fact its getting harder and more expensive to buy offline versions.

Oh and even if its offline the cloud hosts the installers etc.

The traditional instals are gone and will remain so.

At any rate its the same with software in general.

Thank god ms has the insider program so we can try snapshots of the os and by the time it goes public its half fixed, the rest security, and other stuff will come out in time, it seems that ms is pushing 2 releases per year which means well we will just have to see.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert A. Hansen" <roberthansen1970@gmail.com>