De: Ann Byrne
Data: 16 de maio de 2017 15:18
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: [nvda] NVDA with lefthanded keyboard

My student is currently using a keyboard with the numpad, including
the enter key, to the left of the regular keys instead of the
right. Using capslock as the NVDA key. Is there an alternative to
NVDA+down arrow for sayAll? He can use the numpad keys, but that is
only the review cursor. Unable to use his right hand at all, he
would have to reach from capslock to the arrows to do this,
yes? He's a guy with lovely large hands ... but not quite *that large.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ann

Gene

Where is the insert on the main keyboard.  You can use either the insert on the numpad and down arrow or the insert on the main keyboard and down arrow.  the caps lock when used as an NVDA key, duplicates all commands that are insert plus key or keys combinations.  You can use the insert even if you have capslock enabled as an NVDA key.  It isn't one or the other.  It enables another NVDA key.  It doesn't stop the others from functioning.

You said the person can't use his right hand so I tried both inserts and down arrow using my left hand.  Insert on the main keyboard and down arrow is easy to do with the left hand.  Numpad insert is not convenient, though I was able to do it with some annoyance by using my thumb on the numpad insert and my little finger for down arrow.

My student is currently using a keyboard with the numpad, including
the enter key, to the left of the regular keys instead of the
right.  Using capslock as the NVDA key.  Is there an alternative to
NVDA+down arrow for sayAll?  He can use the numpad keys, but that is
only the review cursor.  Unable to use his right hand at all, he
would have to reach from capslock to the arrows to do this,
yes?  He's a guy with lovely large hands ... but not quite *that large.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ann

Gene

But its far more convenient to use the main keyboard insert and down arrow with one hand than caps lock a.

If you switch to Laptop keyboard, Say all is CapsLock +A.

Rui

My student is currently using a keyboard with the numpad, including
the enter key, to the left of the regular keys instead of the
right.  Using capslock as the NVDA key.  Is there an alternative to
NVDA+down arrow for sayAll?  He can use the numpad keys, but that is
only the review cursor.  Unable to use his right hand at all, he
would have to reach from capslock to the arrows to do this,
yes?  He's a guy with lovely large hands ... but not quite *that large.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ann

Tyler Spivey

The default keys can be redefined with the Input Gestures dialog.

NVDA also works with Sticky Keys, a feature built in to Windows which allows you to press modifier keys once and have them stick until another key is pressed.

On 5/16/2017 7:18 AM, Ann Byrne wrote:
My student is currently using a keyboard with the numpad, including the
enter key, to the left of the regular keys instead of the right. Using
capslock as the NVDA key. Is there an alternative to NVDA+down arrow
for sayAll? He can use the numpad keys, but that is only the review
cursor. Unable to use his right hand at all, he would have to reach
from capslock to the arrows to do this, yes? He's a guy with lovely
large hands ... but not quite *that large.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ann

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Yes, but if his numpad is on the left side, then the capslock key would be considerably closer to the numpad (and presumably the arrows) than it would be on a normal keyboard, that's why the suggestion was made.
However, since the insert on the numpad works just fine, I don't see any reason to modify the keyboard configuration to laptop or to use the capslock key, just use the insert and numpad arrows to do things, it should work just fine. The zero on the numpad doubles as an insert key, so there should be no issues with reaching the various NVDA functions.
I don't have a keyboard with the numpad on the left, but I'd sure not mind one, I'm (mostly) ambidexterous myself, and sometimes having to reach over with the right hand is irritating, I use the capslock key for that reason myself, so I can use whichever hand I'm comfortable with at the moment, so I have both enabled myself, even though I don't use a laptop keyboard or layout. It's all about what works for any given individual, and that's the nice thing about many many programs, including NVDA, there's usually more than one way to do things, which means there's likely to be something that fits any given situation.

On Tue, 16 May 2017, Gene wrote:

But its far more convenient to use the main keyboard insert and down arrow
with one hand than caps lock a.

If you switch to Laptop keyboard, Say all is CapsLock +A.
Rui
My student is currently using a keyboard with the numpad, including
the enter key, to the left of the regular keys instead of the
right.  Using capslock as the NVDA key.  Is there an alternative to
NVDA+down arrow for sayAll?  He can use the numpad keys, but that is
only the review cursor.  Unable to use his right hand at all, he
would have to reach from capslock to the arrows to do this,
yes?  He's a guy with lovely large hands ... but not quite *that large.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
Ann

Gene

When I made my comments, I was thinking that the numpad was in the usual place.  Regardless of its location, insert on the main keyboard and down arrow on the main keyboard is the best way to execute the command unless you remap it.  It may be found to be easy enough that remapping isn't necessary or advantageous.  the numpad arrow keys, 2 and 8, don't duplicate the main keyboard arrow keys when NVDA is running.  They are used in screen review and in combination with the numpad insert for object navigation.  If you use numpad insert, you are duplicating the main keyboard insert but you still must use down arrow on the main keyboard.

Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 10:38 AM

On Tue, 16 May 2017, Gene wrote:

> But its far more convenient to use the main keyboard insert and down arrow
> with one hand than caps lock a.
>
> Gene

Ann Byrne

the numpad is on the eft side, though, so both insert+down arrow and capslock+down arrow are a real stretch. I will check out the lap top keyboard.

At 10:05 AM 5/16/2017, you wrote:
[...]

But he can't use the numpad arrows, right? they are all involved with review, not cursor movement.

At 10:56 AM 5/16/2017, you wrote:
[...]

yes, the numpad arrows can't be used.  But where is the insert on the main keyboard, not the numpad insert?  If that is in the ordinary place, insert down arrow, both on the main keyboard is not a difficult command.

At 10:56 AM 5/16/2017, you wrote:
>When I made my comments, I was thinking that the numpad was in the
>usual place.  Regardless of its location, insert on the main
>keyboard and down arrow on the main keyboard is the best way to
>execute the command unless you remap it.  It may be found to be easy
>enough that remapping isn't necessary or advantageous.  the numpad
>arrow keys, 2 and 8, don't duplicate the main keyboard arrow keys
>when NVDA is running.  They are used in screen review and in
>combination with the numpad insert for object navigation.  If you
>use numpad insert, you are duplicating the main keyboard insert but
>you still must use down arrow on the main keyboard.
>
>Gene

Ann Byrne

You're thinking of the insert key on the six pack? Interesting idea.

At 05:10 PM 5/16/2017, you wrote:
[...]

Did you receive my first message in the thread?  I said that you can use either insert as an NVDA key.  the insert key, whether in the six pack or in the numpad, works exactly the same because NVDA uses insert, both inserts as the NVDA key.  That's true of JAWS as well.

At 05:10 PM 5/16/2017, you wrote:
>yes, the numpad arrows can't be used.  But where is the insert on
>the main keyboard, not the numpad insert?  If that is in the
>ordinary place, insert down arrow, both on the main keyboard is not
>a difficult command.
>
>Gene

Chris Mullins

Hi Ann
I think you should perhaps describe the layout of your clients keyboard. My
standard qwerty keyboard for example has the qwerty block of keys on the
left, to the right of that is the 3-pack above the 6-pack above a triangle
of arrow keys, on the far right is the numeric keypad. I've got a sighted
person to look at a left-handed keyboard layout on the net but it's not just
a straight forward reversal of my layout and there appear to be different
layouts depending on manufacturer. On one device, the numeric keypad is on
the left but it's got the large plus and enter keys to the left of the
numbers where on my keyboard they are on the right side. The mathematical
operator keys are in the reverse order too.

Cheers
Chris