Buttons Not Working On Some Websites

Daveed Mandell <daveedmandell@...>

Hello:

I notice that on some websites buttons don't work with NVDA. For instance, on the music website bandcamp.com, one can play songs and albums. However, when I prebbs a play butson with NVDA nothing happens. I still use JAWS infrequently, and when I recently tried JAWS with bandcamp.comeathe play bustons worked just fine. Is this a bug in NVDA that should be reporsed, or must I change any specific settings? Thanks so much for any suggestions and/or assistance.

Regards,

Daveed Mandell

Gene

I don't know what you are seeing as buttons.  I went to an album and I found items that are clicable, each track is clicable.  But I didn't see any buttons.

Does it matter if you are signed in or what you are looking at?

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:24 AM
Subject: [nvda] Buttons Not Working On Some Websites

Hello:

I notice that on some websites buttons don't work with NVDA. For instance, on the music website bandcamp.com, one can play songs and albums. However, when I prebbs a play butson with NVDA nothing happens. I still use JAWS infrequently, and when I recently tried JAWS with bandcamp.comeathe play bustons worked just fine. Is this a bug in NVDA that should be reporsed, or must I change any specific settings? Thanks so much for any suggestions and/or assistance.

Regards,

Daveed Mandell

Louis Maher <ljmaher@...>

Recently, I have had buttons not be shown with Firefox 53 on the Chase and
PayPal web pages. I have switched to the Chrome browser. You might try a
different browser.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838
E-mail: ljmaher@swbell.net

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Daveed
Mandell
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello:

I notice that on some websites buttons don't work with NVDA. For instance,
on the music website bandcamp.com, one can play songs and albums. However,
when I prebbs a play butson with NVDA nothing happens. I still use JAWS
infrequently, and when I recently tried JAWS with bandcamp.comeathe play
bustons worked just fine. Is this a bug in NVDA that should be reporsed, or
must I change any specific settings? Thanks so much for any suggestions
and/or assistance.

Regards,

Daveed Mandell

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:51 am, Gene wrote:
I don't know what you are seeing as buttons.

I don't know if the original poster might be partially sighted or, for that matter, if you may be Gene, but based just upon the entire response I've quoted part of I suspect not

One of the things that drives me crazy as a sighted instructor for screen reader learners is the fact that there are now tons of websites that present what are links under the guise of buttons as far as the visual presentation goes.  I will often say to a student, "Use the 'b' shortcut to jump around the buttons until you hear . . .," when that seems appropriate only to find that what appears to be a button in reality is not.   It's getting even harder to tell now with the "flat look" being all the rage and there being no attempt to give visual 3D-ish effects to a button.  Buttons appear as a non-photographic graphic rather than an imitation of a button with shading, etc., and effectively are like what used to be called hotspots (and probably still are when you're talking about different areas of a large photograph on which various areas can be activated like a button or link).

I went to that website and it is possible that there are some of those evil "looks like a button but is actually a link" situations, but I'd need a specific page to test that out.
--
Brian         Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

Gene

The following applies to all browsers that use browse mode.  If a button doesn't activate with the space bar, try enter.  If neither work, try the activate command in NVDA, numpad insert and, while holding it, press numpad enter.  That's the long key at the bottom right of the numpad.  The bottom most key.
If that doesn't work, route the mouse to the object navigator's position, numpad insert and while holding it, numpad asterisk, the key immediately to the right of the numlock.  Then try left clicking using just numpad asterisk by itself.  Again, that is the key immediately to the right of the numlock.
I'm giving these suggestions but their order isn't meant to imply which should be tried in what order.
Another thing to try is to move to the button, turn browse mode off, then try space bar and enter if space doesn't work.
Turn browse mode off with insert space bar.  Turn it on again with the same command, insert space bar.  You may use either insert.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:52 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Buttons Not Working On Some Websites

Recently, I have had buttons not be shown with Firefox 53  on the Chase and
PayPal web pages. I have switched to the Chrome browser.  You might try a
different browser.

Regards
Louis Maher
E-mail: ljmaher@...

Mandell

Hello:

and/or assistance.

Regards,

Daveed Mandell

Yes, at the sop of each song is a play button.

Daveed

Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 10:51 am

I don't know what you are seeing as buttons. I went to an album and I found items that are clicable, each track is clicable. But I didn't see any buttons.

Does it matter if you are signed in or what you are looking at?
Gene

Hello:

I notice that on some websites buttons don't work with NVDA. For instance, on the music website bandcamp.com, one can play songs and albums. However, when I prebbs a play butson with NVDA nothing happens.. I still use JAWS infrequently, and when I recently tried JAWS with bandcamp.comeathe play bustons worked just fine. Is this a bug in NVDA that should be reporsed, or must I change any specific settings? Thanks so much for any suggestions and/or assistance.

Regards,

Daveed Mandell

Yes, but your remark is somewhat irrelevant, because no matter what, nothing happens - button, link or not. So what do I do? Thanks so much.
Daveed

Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:11 am

I don't know if the original poster might be partially sighted or, for that matter, if you may be Gene, but based just upon the entire response I've quoted part of I suspect not

One of the things that drives me crazy as a sighted instructor for screen reader learners is the fact that there are now tons of websites that present what are links under the guise of buttons as far as the visual presentation goes. I will often say to a student, "Use the 'b' shortcut to jump around the buttons until you hear . . .,was when that seems appropriate only to find that what appears to be a button in reality is not. It's getting even harder to tell now with the "flat look" being all the rage and there being no attempt to give visual 3D-ish effects to a button. Buttons appear as a non-photographic graphic rather than an imitation of a button with shading, etc., and effectively are like what used to be called hotspots (and probably still are when you're talking about different areas of a large photograph on which various areas can be activated like a button or link).

I went to that website and it is possible that there are some of those evil "looks like a button but is actually a link" situations, but I'd need a specific page to test that out.
--
Brian Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
~ Mark Twain

Seems rather awkkward, given that JAWS simply sees this is a button and responds accordingly! Seems like this is a definite bug that needs fixing! What are the laptop equivalents of the keystrokes you suggest? Thanks.

Daveed

Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:22 pm

The following applies to all browsers that use browse mode. If a button doesn't activate with the space bar, try enter. If neither work, try the activate command in NVDA, numpad insert and, while holding it, press numpad enter. That's the long key at the bottom right of the numpad. The bottom most key.
If that doesn't work, route the mouse to the object navigator's position, numpad insert and while holding it, numpad asterisk, the key immediately to the right of the numlock. Then try left clicking using just numpad asterisk by itself. Again, that is the key immediately to the right of the numlock.
I'm giving these suggestions but their order isn't meant to imply which should be tried in what order.
Another thing to try is to move to the button, turn browse mode off, then try space bar and enter if space doesn't work.
Turn browse mode off with insert space bar. Turn it on again with the same command, insert space bar. You may use either insert.

Gene

different browser.

Regards
Louis Maher

Mandell

Hello:

and/or assistance.

Regards,

Daveed Mandell

Gene

I wanto to be clear about this.  When I look at a page with one or more items that can be played, NVDA doesn't announce any buttons.  It announces clicable.  Are you saying that NVDA announces the word "button" when you look at the page?

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:08 PM

Yes, but your remark is somewhat irrelevant, because no matter what, nothing happens - button, link or not. So what do I do? Thanks so much.
Daveed

>
>
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:51 am, Gene wrote:
>
> I don't know what you are seeing as buttons.
> I don't know if the original poster might be partially sighted or, for that matter, if you may be Gene, but based just upon the entire response I've quoted part of I suspect not
>
> One of the things that drives me crazy as a sighted instructor for screen reader learners is the fact that there are now tons of websites that present what are links under the guise of buttons as far as the visual presentation goes.  I will often say to a student, "Use the 'b' shortcut to jump around the buttons until you hear . . .,was when that seems appropriate only to find that what appears to be a button in reality is not.   It's getting even harder to tell now with the "flat look" being all the rage and there being no attempt to give visual 3D-ish effects to a button.  Buttons appear as a non-photographic graphic rather than an imitation of a button with shading, etc., and effectively are like what used to be called hotspots (and probably still are when you're talking about different areas of a large photograph on which various areas can be activated like a button or link).
>
> I went to that website and it is possible that there are some of those evil "looks like a button but is actually a link" situations, but I'd need a specific page to test that out.
> --
> Brian         Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

>      Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
>             ~ Mark Twain

>

Gene

I don't use the laptop layout.  Also, are you saying that JAWS sees a button and NVDA doesn't?  It may be, from what you say that NVDA sees the item as something it announces as clickable.  But it is important to be clear about whether NVDA announces button or clicable.

I don't know if this is a bug.  It may be something that should be looked at but at this point, we have to be clear about what NVDA announces.  Also, when you are looking at an album, does each song have a button in JAWS?  In NVDA, each song has one or two clickable items you can press enter on to play.  Perhaps the first clickable item that causes the entire album to play doesn't work with enter but the individual song items do.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:10 PM

Seems rather awkkward, given that JAWS simply sees this is a button and responds accordingly! Seems like this is a definite bug that needs fixing! What are the laptop equivalents of the keystrokes you suggest? Thanks.

Daveed

>
>
> The following applies to all browsers that use browse mode.  If a button doesn't activate with the space bar, try enter.  If neither work, try the activate command in NVDA, numpad insert and, while holding it, press numpad enter.  That's the long key at the bottom right of the numpad.  The bottom most key.
> If that doesn't work, route the mouse to the object navigator's position, numpad insert and while holding it, numpad asterisk, the key immediately to the right of the numlock.  Then try left clicking using just numpad asterisk by itself.  Again, that is the key immediately to the right of the numlock.
> I'm giving these suggestions but their order isn't meant to imply which should be tried in what order.
> Another thing to try is to move to the button, turn browse mode off, then try space bar and enter if space doesn't work.
> Turn browse mode off with insert space bar.  Turn it on again with the same command, insert space bar.  You may use either insert.

> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Louis Maher
> Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:52 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Buttons Not Working On Some Websites
>
>
> Recently, I have had buttons not be shown with Firefox 53  on the Chase and
> PayPal web pages. I have switched to the Chrome browser.  You might try a
> different browser.
>
>
> Regards
> Louis Maher
> Phone: 713-444-7838
> E-mail: ljmaher@...
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Daveed
> Mandell
> Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:24 AM
> Subject: [nvda] Buttons Not Working On Some Websites
>
> Hello:
>
> I notice that on some websites buttons don't work with NVDA. For instance,
> on the music website bandcamp.com, one can play songs and albums. However,
> when I prebbs a play butson with NVDA nothing happens. I still use JAWS
> infrequently, and when I recently tried JAWS with bandcamp.comeathe play
> bustons worked just fine. Is this a bug in NVDA that should be reporsed, or
> must I change any specific settings? Thanks so much for any suggestions
> and/or assistance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daveed Mandell
>
>
>

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

No, both programs see buttons.

Daveed

Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 3:18 pm

I don't use the laptop layout. Also, are you saying that JAWS sees a button and NVDA doesn't? It may be, from what you say that NVDA sees the item as something it announces as clickable. But it is important to be clear about whether NVDA announces button or clicable.

I don't know if this is a bug. It may be something that should be looked at but at this point, we have to be clear about what NVDA announces. Also, when you are looking at an album, does each song have a button in JAWS? In NVDA, each song has one or two clickable items you can press enter on to play. Perhaps the first clickable item that causes the entire album to play doesn't work with enter but the individual song items do.

Gene

Daveed

The following applies to all browsers that use browse mode. If a button doesn't activate with the space bar, try enter. If neither work, try the activate command in NVDA, numpad insert and, while holding it, press numpad enter. That's the long key at the bottom right of the numpad. The bottom most key.
If that doesn't work, route the mouse to the object navigator's position, numpad insert and while holding it, numpad asterisk, the key immediately to the right of the numlock. Then try left clicking using just numpad asterisk by itself. Again, that is the key immediately to the right of the numlock.
Turn browse mode off with insert space bar. Turn it on again with the same command, insert space bar. You may use either insert.

Gene

different browser.

Regards
Louis Maher

Mandell

Hello:

and/or assistance.

Regards,

Daveed Mandell

Absolutely. There is a play button at the top of each song, then the next line is a numbered song that looks like a link. And there are a couple more lines under that, with the time of each song, and a "cliakable" message. At least, this is how my computers - both at home and at work - show the layout.

Daveed

Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 3:12 pm

I wanto to be clear about this. When I look at a page with one or more items that can be played, NVDA doesn't announce any buttons. It announces clicable. Are you saying that NVDA announces the word "button" when you look at the page?

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:08 PM

Daveed

One of the things that drives me crazy as a sighted instructor for screen reader learners is the fact that there are now tons of websites that present what are links under the guise of buttons as far as the visual presentation goes. I will often say to a student, "Use the 'b' shortcut to jump around the buttons until you hear . . diseawas when that seems appropriate only to find that what appears to be a button in reality is not. It's getting even harder to tell now with the "flat look" being all the rage and there being no attempt to give visual 3D-ish effects to a button. Buttons appear as a non-photographic graphic rather than an imitation of a button with shading, etc., and effectively are like what used to be called hotspots (and probably still are when you're talking about different areas of a large photograph on which various areas can be activated like a button or link).

--

~ Mark Twain

Gene

Then you need to send a specific page.  I checked with an older version of JAWS I have installed on this page:
I used an almost current version of Firefox, perhaps one version behind. There were no play buttons.  There are many clickable items for playing every track.  That is the case with both JAWS and NVDA. 

I don't recall now, which browser you are using but I seem to recall it's Firefox. 

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:31 PM

Daveed

>
>
> I don't use the laptop layout.  Also, are you saying that JAWS sees a button and NVDA doesn't?  It may be, from what you say that NVDA sees the item as something it announces as clickable.  But it is important to be clear about whether NVDA announces button or clicable.

> I don't know if this is a bug.  It may be something that should be looked at but at this point, we have to be clear about what NVDA announces.  Also, when you are looking at an album, does each song have a button in JAWS?  In NVDA, each song has one or two clickable items you can press enter on to play.  Perhaps the first clickable item that causes the entire album to play doesn't work with enter but the individual song items do.

> Gene
>
> From: Daveed Mandell
> Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:10 PM
>
>
> Seems rather awkkward, given that JAWS simply sees this is a button and responds accordingly! Seems like this is a definite bug that needs fixing! What are the laptop equivalents of the keystrokes you suggest? Thanks.
>
> Daveed
>
>
>

>
> From: Gene  <gsasner@...>
> Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:22 pm
>
> >
> >
> > The following applies to all browsers that use browse mode.  If a button doesn't activate with the space bar, try enter.  If neither work, try the activate command in NVDA, numpad insert and, while holding it, press numpad enter.  That's the long key at the bottom right of the numpad.  The bottom most key.
> > If that doesn't work, route the mouse to the object navigator's position, numpad insert and while holding it, numpad asterisk, the key immediately to the right of the numlock.  Then try left clicking using just numpad asterisk by itself.  Again, that is the key immediately to the right of the numlock.
> > I'm giving these suggestions but their order isn't meant to imply which should be tried in what order.
> > Another thing to try is to move to the button, turn browse mode off, then try space bar and enter if space doesn't work.
> > Turn browse mode off with insert space bar.  Turn it on again with the same command, insert space bar.  You may use either insert.
> > 
> > Gene
> > ----- Original Message -----
> >
> > From: Louis Maher
> > Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:52 PM
> > To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> > Subject: Re: [nvda] Buttons Not Working On Some Websites
> >
> >
> > Recently, I have had buttons not be shown with Firefox 53  on the Chase and
> > PayPal web pages. I have switched to the Chrome browser.  You might try a
> > different browser.
> >
> >
> > Regards
> > Louis Maher
> > Phone: 713-444-7838
> > E-mail: ljmaher@...
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Daveed
> > Mandell
> > Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:24 AM
> > Subject: [nvda] Buttons Not Working On Some Websites
> >
> > Hello:
> >
> > I notice that on some websites buttons don't work with NVDA. For instance,
> > on the music website bandcamp.com, one can play songs and albums. However,
> > when I prebbs a play butson with NVDA nothing happens. I still use JAWS
> > infrequently, and when I recently tried JAWS with bandcamp.comeathe play
> > bustons worked just fine. Is this a bug in NVDA that should be reporsed, or
> > must I change any specific settings? Thanks so much for any suggestions
> > and/or assistance.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Daveed Mandell
> >
> >
> >
> > 
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>

Alexander Masic

it is only to click e.g on the song title and it start play. for my it works fine.

Den 2017-05-17 kl. 01:00, skrev Gene:

Then you need to send a specific page.  I checked with an older version of JAWS I have installed on this page:
I used an almost current version of Firefox, perhaps one version behind. There were no play buttons.  There are many clickable items for playing every track.  That is the case with both JAWS and NVDA. 

I don't recall now, which browser you are using but I seem to recall it's Firefox. 

Gene

Daveed

>
>
> I don't use the laptop layout.  Also, are you saying that JAWS sees a button and NVDA doesn't?  It may be, from what you say that NVDA sees the item as something it announces as clickable.  But it is important to be clear about whether NVDA announces button or clicable.

> I don't know if this is a bug.  It may be something that should be looked at but at this point, we have to be clear about what NVDA announces.  Also, when you are looking at an album, does each song have a button in JAWS?  In NVDA, each song has one or two clickable items you can press enter on to play.  Perhaps the first clickable item that causes the entire album to play doesn't work with enter but the individual song items do.

> Gene
>
> From: Daveed Mandell
> Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:10 PM
>
>
> Seems rather awkkward, given that JAWS simply sees this is a button and responds accordingly! Seems like this is a definite bug that needs fixing! What are the laptop equivalents of the keystrokes you suggest? Thanks.
>
> Daveed
>
>
>

>
> From: Gene  <gsasner@...>
> Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:22 pm
>
> >
> >
> > The following applies to all browsers that use browse mode.  If a button doesn't activate with the space bar, try enter.  If neither work, try the activate command in NVDA, numpad insert and, while holding it, press numpad enter.  That's the long key at the bottom right of the numpad.  The bottom most key.
> > If that doesn't work, route the mouse to the object navigator's position, numpad insert and while holding it, numpad asterisk, the key immediately to the right of the numlock.  Then try left clicking using just numpad asterisk by itself.  Again, that is the key immediately to the right of the numlock.
> > I'm giving these suggestions but their order isn't meant to imply which should be tried in what order.
> > Another thing to try is to move to the button, turn browse mode off, then try space bar and enter if space doesn't work.
> > Turn browse mode off with insert space bar.  Turn it on again with the same command, insert space bar.  You may use either insert.
> > 
> > Gene
> > ----- Original Message -----
> >
> > From: Louis Maher
> > Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:52 PM
> > Subject: Re: [nvda] Buttons Not Working On Some Websites
> >
> >
> > Recently, I have had buttons not be shown with Firefox 53  on the Chase and
> > PayPal web pages. I have switched to the Chrome browser.  You might try a
> > different browser.
> >
> >
> > Regards
> > Louis Maher
> > Phone: 713-444-7838
> > E-mail: ljmaher@...
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Daveed
> > Mandell
> > Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:24 AM
> > Subject: [nvda] Buttons Not Working On Some Websites
> >
> > Hello:
> >
> > I notice that on some websites buttons don't work with NVDA. For instance,
> > on the music website bandcamp.com, one can play songs and albums. However,
> > when I prebbs a play butson with NVDA nothing happens. I still use JAWS
> > infrequently, and when I recently tried JAWS with bandcamp.comeathe play
> > bustons worked just fine. Is this a bug in NVDA that should be reporsed, or
> > must I change any specific settings? Thanks so much for any suggestions
> > and/or assistance.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Daveed Mandell
> >
> >
> >
> > 
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 03:08 pm, Daveed Mandell wrote:
So what do I do?

Please, as has been requested by myself and Gene, provide a specific page so that we can all, literally, be testing on the same page at the very least.

I've got JAWS 18, Window-Eyes 9.5.4, and NVDA 2017.1 on my machine as well as Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and IE11.  It's really handy to be certain that we're all looking at exactly the same page as a starting point. 
--
Brian         Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

~ Mark Twain

Hi, Gene:

I wish I could send you a screen sho. Any possible way to do this? Thanks.

Daveed

Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Then you need to send a specific page. I checked with an older version of JAWS I have installed on this page:
https://daily.bandcamp.com/2017/05/15/girlpool-powerplant-review/
I used an almost current version of Firefox, perhaps one version behind. There were no play buttons. There are many clickable items for playing every track. That is the case with both JAWS and NVDA.

Gene

Daveed

I don't use the laptop layout. Also, are you saying that JAWS sees a button and NVDA doesn't? It may be, from what you say that NVDA sees the item as something it announces as clickable. But it is important to be clear about whether NVDA announces button or clicable.

I don't know if this is a bug. It may be something that should be looked at but at this point, we have to be clear about what NVDA announces. Also, when you are looking at an album, does each song have a button in JAWS? In NVDA, each song has one or two clickable items you can press enter on to play. Perhaps the first clickable item that causes the entire album to play doesn't work with enter but the individual song items do.

Gene

Daveed

Gene

different browser.

Regards
Louis Maher

Mandell

Hello:

and/or assistance.

Regards,

Daveed Mandell

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes I've seen things like go and hit the download button when done, only to find no button but a link that says download. I fear this is the lack of distinction due to the person who wrote it not getting the difference from any point of view.
The other annoying one is some oddly coded landmarks that trap you as if the page has vanished, but a tab or some other command can get you out again till you accidentally encounter another black hole on the page.
Also on for example Paypal, I am sick of being told that it wants to run the outdated flash plug in, in fact the page isfar more accessible if you never run flash in the first place.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:11 PM

One of the things that drives me crazy as a sighted instructor for screen reader learners is the fact that there are now tons of websites that present what are links under the guise of buttons as far as the visual presentation goes. I will often say to a student, "Use the 'b' shortcut to jump around the buttons until you hear . . .," when that seems appropriate only to find that what appears to be a button in reality is not. It's getting even harder to tell now with the "flat look" being all the rage and there being no attempt to give visual 3D-ish effects to a button. Buttons appear as a non-photographic graphic rather than an imitation of a button with shading, etc., and effectively are like what used to be called hotspots (and probably still are when you're talking about different areas of a large photograph on which various areas can be activated like a button or link).

--

* * *Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.*

* ~ Mark Twain*

Simon Gratin <simon.gratin@...>

Hi, from a global perspective when addressing websites accessibility - just
like this matter of clicking a button - you can try changing browser:
FireFox or Crom may allow enhanced operability of your website, as IE.
Best,

S

-----Message d'origine-----
De : nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] De la part de Brian's
Mail list account
Envoyé : mercredi 17 mai 2017 08:57
À : nvda@nvda.groups.io
Objet : Re: [nvda] Buttons Not Working On Some Websites

Yes I've seen things like go and hit the download button when done, only to
find no button but a link that says download. I fear this is the lack of
distinction due to the person who wrote it not getting the difference from
any point of view.
The other annoying one is some oddly coded landmarks that trap you as if the
page has vanished, but a tab or some other command can get you out again
till you accidentally encounter another black hole on the page.
Also on for example Paypal, I am sick of being told that it wants to run
the outdated flash plug in, in fact the page isfar more accessible if you
never run flash in the first place.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:11 PM

I don't know if the original poster might be partially sighted or, for that
matter, if you may be Gene, but based just upon the entire response I've
quoted part of I suspect not

One of the things that drives me crazy as a sighted instructor for screen
reader learners is the fact that there are now tons of websites that present

what are links under the guise of buttons as far as the visual presentation
goes. I will often say to a student, "Use the 'b' shortcut to jump around
the buttons until you hear . . .," when that seems appropriate only to find
that what appears to be a button in reality is not. It's getting even harder

to tell now with the "flat look" being all the rage and there being no
attempt to give visual 3D-ish effects to a button. Buttons appear as a
non-photographic graphic rather than an imitation of a button with shading,
etc., and effectively are like what used to be called hotspots (and probably

still are when you're talking about different areas of a large photograph on

which various areas can be activated like a button or link).

I went to that website and it is possible that there are some of those evil
"looks like a button but is actually a link" situations, but I'd need a
specific page to test that out.
--

* * *Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many
of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable

views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little
corner of the earth all one's lifetime.*

* ~ Mark Twain*