Topics

epub format

Marisane Moruthanyana

Afternoon list subscribers

May I know whether there’s a way in which to read epub material.

I read a little about the format and have heard that it is somewhat accessible.

May I ask anyone of you who ever read an epub-formatted book to elaborate further about the format?

I hear people who read books in that format saying that one can only read epub books through google chrome, because google has what they call readium reader and that reader can read the books in the format.

Are you aware of that and how accessible is that with a screen reader like jaws or nvda?

Does it mean that internet/firefox browser cannot handle epub material?

What other application does one use to read books in the epub format?

Your assistance in this regard is appreciated in advance.

With respect

Marisane (University of Limpopo)

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Adobe digital editions is your friend.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On May 19, 2017 10:30:24 AM "Marisane Moruthanyana" <marisanem@...> wrote:

Afternoon list subscribers

May I know whether there’s a way in which to read epub material.

I read a little about the format and have heard that it is somewhat accessible.

May I ask anyone of you who ever read an epub-formatted book to elaborate further about the format?

I hear people who read books in that format saying that one can only read epub books through google chrome, because google has what they call readium reader and that reader can read the books in the format.

Are you aware of that and how accessible is that with a screen reader like jaws or nvda?

Does it mean that internet/firefox browser cannot handle epub material?

What other application does one use to read books in the epub format?

Your assistance in this regard is appreciated in advance.

With respect

Marisane (University of Limpopo)

Mallard

Hello there,

I'm a staunch epub reader, so you got to the right place.

You can definitely read epub ebooks with Adobe Digital Editions, which is free, and can be downloaded from Adobe's website (or from my Dropbox, which is probaly easier - I'll pass the link at the end of this message).

Firefox has an add-on. I think it's called epub reader, but I don't know whetehr it was updated for more recent Windows versions. I haven't used it for years.

If you want an excellent, but not free app, I'd advise you to investigate Qread at the following link:

https://q-continuum.net/qread/

I also read epub ebooks on my android smartphone. There are a number of more or less accessible apps for that, which I'll be happy to discuss with you off-list, if you're interested.

Here's the link to downloade Adobe Digital Editions from my Dropbox. Unfortunately I only have version 3.0, but it's quite enough. If you decide to install this version, it'll prompt you to upgrade later.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bng1kgkxawt4raq/ADE_3.0_Installer.exe?dl=0

hth,

Ollie

ps: Feel free to contact me also off-list, if you need any further help.

mallard@kimabe.eu

Il 19/05/2017 16:29, Marisane Moruthanyana ha scritto:

Afternoon list subscribers

May I know whether there’s a way in which to read epub material.

I read a little about the format and have heard that it is somewhat accessible.

May I ask anyone of you who ever read an epub-formatted book to elaborate further about the format?

I hear people who read books in that format saying that one can only read epub books through google chrome, because google has what they call readium reader and that reader can read the books in the format.

Are you aware of that and how accessible is that with a screen reader like jaws or nvda?

Does it mean that internet/firefox browser cannot handle epub material?

What other application does one use to read books in the epub format?

Your assistance in this regard is appreciated in advance.

With respect

Marisane (University of Limpopo)

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello Marisane and all,

On a computer I use the addon ePub Reader for Firefox, it works fine.

http://www.epubread.com/

Best

Sylvie

Sylvie DUCHATEAU - @sylduch - +33 (0)6 62 33 68 12
Consultante associée
Access42 : expertise, conseil et formation en accessibilité numérique
Standard : +33 (0)9 72 45 06 14 - access42.net - @access42net
Le 19/05/2017 à 16:29, Marisane Moruthanyana a écrit :

[...]

Hi there Ollie,

This is something I may need for school in september, so if you could take a look at inclusive android and post any android epub readers that you don't find, especially the ones that work, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

On May 19, 2017 11:34:27 AM "Mallard" <mallard@kimabe.eu> wrote:

[...]

Hello Erik,

Will do. I know there's another one coming in a few days, which I've alpha tested last week, and works quite well in my opinion.

Let's keep in touch on this subject, and I hope I can be of help.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 19/05/2017 17:41, erik burggraaf ha scritto:
[...]

Cleto Pescia

Hello Marisane,

You can use my program EPUBTEXT to export the content of an EPUB document to a plain text file, provided the EPUB file is not DRM protected.
EPUBTEXT can be downloaded from:
https://www.eurisco.com/download/epubtext

Regards,
Cleto

john s

I believe that Balabolka can also read epub files.

At 10:29 AM 5/19/2017, you wrote:
Afternoon list subscribers

May I know whether theres a way in which to read epub material.

I read a little about the format and have heard that it is somewhat accessible.

May I ask anyone of you who ever read an epub-formatted book to elaborate further about the format?

I hear people who read books in that format saying that one can only read epub books through google chrome, because google has what they call readium reader and that reader can read the books in the format.

Are you aware of that and how accessible is that with a screen reader like jaws or nvda?

Does it mean that internet/firefox browser cannot handle epub material?

What other application does one use to read books in the epub format?

Your assistance in this regard is appreciated in advance.

With respect
Marisane (University of Limpopo)

                 John

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

As I've posted before (in several places) non-drm epub books are simply html files with other files included to make navigating the books easier.  You can simply rename the epub to .zip, extract it, and read it with the web browser of your choice, no special software required.

Doing it this way won't give you the navigation features, (table of contents, previous/next, and so on), but it's a quick and simple way to read the books without having to install extra software for the job.

On 5/19/2017 10:29 AM, Marisane Moruthanyana wrote:

Afternoon list subscribers

May I know whether there’s a way in which to read epub material.

I read a little about the format and have heard that it is somewhat accessible.

May I ask anyone of you who ever read an epub-formatted book to elaborate further about the format?

I hear people who read books in that format saying that one can only read epub books through google chrome, because google has what they call readium reader and that reader can read the books in the format.

Are you aware of that and how accessible is that with a screen reader like jaws or nvda?

Does it mean that internet/firefox browser cannot handle epub material?

What other application does one use to read books in the epub format?

Your assistance in this regard is appreciated in advance.

With respect

Marisane (University of Limpopo)

Tony Ballou

Hi,

If you have a web browser such as Mozilla Firefox you can read e pub books. Hope this helps.

Tony

[...]

That's the add on I use to read e-pub books.

Tony

On 5/19/2017 11:33 AM, Mallard wrote:
[...]

Yes. All these can read non-drm files. If you decompress the epub via 7-zip or similar software, you can extract an html which you can then read like a normal html file.

The problem is, however, that you can only read non-drm files that way.

Adobe Digital edition is, that I know of, the only software that will let you read epub and pdf ebooks with drm.

Ciao,

Ollie

At 10:29 AM 5/19/2017, you wrote:
[...]

Hello Cleto,

Thanks for this. I didn't know about it. I cannot say thank you enough for providing this link and programme.

Blessings,

Ollie