Other NVDA Voices?

Tom Behler <tombehler@...>

Hello, everyone.

I have just joined the NVDA e-mail list, and am getting introduced to NVDA.

Actually, I use Jaws as my main screen reader, and simply want to have NVDA on board as a back up screen reader should Jaws fail, or be unusuable for certain applications.

Anyway, I have been told that alternative voices are available for NVDA. … Specifically, I have been told that the vocalizer female voice (similar to the one the iPhone uses), and Eloquence are available.

Can someone tell me where to find these voices?

Also, are they free, or must they be purchased?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Jonathan Milam

Hi Tom,

I was a JAWS user as well before installing  NVDA a few months ago, and had all intentions of using it as a back-up.  However, I quickly adopted it as my primary screen reader and hardly ever use JAWS now.

Codefactory has a page where you can purchase a Vocalizer and Elloquence addon.

http://codefactoryglobal.com/app-store/voices-for-nvda/

Jonathan

I have just joined the NVDA e-mail list, and am getting introduced to NVDA.

Actually, I use Jaws as my main screen reader, and simply want to have NVDA on board as a back up screen reader should Jaws fail, or be unusuable for certain applications.

Anyway, I have been told that alternative voices are available for NVDA. … Specifically, I have been told that the vocalizer female voice (similar to the one the iPhone uses), and Eloquence are available.

Can someone tell me where to find these voices?

Also, are they free, or must they be purchased?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Rui Fontes

Hello!

You also have:

Acapela for NVDA:
www.acapela-nvda.com

Eloquence for Windows
http://tiflotecnia.net/index_eloq.htm

Vocalizer for NVDA
www.vocalizer-nvda.com

Based in my experience, Eloquence for NVDA in some computers presents a horrible sound!

Rui

I have just joined the NVDA e-mail list, and am getting introduced to NVDA.

Actually, I use Jaws as my main screen reader, and simply want to have NVDA on board as a back up screen reader should Jaws fail, or be unusuable for certain applications.

Anyway, I have been told that alternative voices are available for NVDA. … Specifically, I have been told that the vocalizer female voice (similar to the one the iPhone uses), and Eloquence are available.

Can someone tell me where to find these voices?

Also, are they free, or must they be purchased?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Gene

If you use the add on for Eloquence, it is poor quality because it has a lot of artifacts.

Code factory has a SAPI5 version of Eloquence that works well.  Both are available as demos so you can try them.  The add on has eloquence and another set of voices.  I'm not sure if those are the other ones you asked about.  I assume you can get the other voices separately but I don't use them and I haven't paid much attention to them.

I have just joined the NVDA e-mail list, and am getting introduced to NVDA.

Actually, I use Jaws as my main screen reader, and simply want to have NVDA on board as a back up screen reader should Jaws fail, or be unusuable for certain applications.

Anyway, I have been told that alternative voices are available for NVDA. … Specifically, I have been told that the vocalizer female voice (similar to the one the iPhone uses), and Eloquence are available.

Can someone tell me where to find these voices?

Also, are they free, or must they be purchased?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler <tombehler@...>

Jonathan:

Thanks for the codefactory info about the vocalizer and eloquence voices.

I checked on the web page you sent, and it says the price for the addd-on is 59 euros.

Siri tells me that this converts to $66.10.

So, what I now have to decide is whether the purchase would be worthwhile for me.

As of now, my intent is still to use NVDA as a backup, since my current Jaws Sma covers me through Jaws 20, but there is always room to re-think this.

Thanks very much for the help.

Tom Behler

I have just joined the NVDA e-mail list, and am getting introduced to NVDA.

Actually, I use Jaws as my main screen reader, and simply want to have NVDA on board as a back up screen reader should Jaws fail, or be unusuable for certain applications.

Anyway, I have been told that alternative voices are available for NVDA. … Specifically, I have been told that the vocalizer female voice (similar to the one the iPhone uses), and Eloquence are available.

Can someone tell me where to find these voices?

Also, are they free, or must they be purchased?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler <tombehler@...>

Thanks for these insights, Rui.

I will definitely take them into consideration.

Tom Behler

Based in my experience, Eloquence for NVDA in some computers presents a horrible sound!

Rui

I have just joined the NVDA e-mail list, and am getting introduced to NVDA.

Actually, I use Jaws as my main screen reader, and simply want to have NVDA
on board as a back up screen reader should Jaws fail, or be unusuable for
certain applications.

Anyway, I have been told that alternative voices are available for NVDA. …
Specifically, I have been told that the vocalizer female voice (similar to
the one the iPhone uses), and Eloquence are available.

Can someone tell me where to find these voices?

Also, are they free, or must they be purchased?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

I'm also wondering whether Codefactory's add on is worth it. The price is, as mentioned, 59 euros, which is 2267.13 Thai baht according to Siri. I currently have Vocalizer by Tiflotecnia, which works fine except for the Thai voice which has some issues. I tried the Codefactory version and the Thai voice works well.

Jonathan Milam

No problem at all! Glad to help.

Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone