Subject: [nvda] Windows Key commands not working?
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Saturday, April 15, 2017, 9:05 AM

Hello,I just got
a computer and the windows key commands do not work. When I
press windows+m or windows+d all I hear is the letter being
said and not the command being executed. I can press the
Windows key and the start menu opens and when I go into
input help and press windows+d I hear "windows+d",
but the command does not pass through to the
computer.Does anyone know what may be happening?
There are some access restrictions on the computer, but I am
not aware of any access restriction that would restrict the
windows key commands not working.I am guessing
that the commands are being stopped somewhere in the event
tree because otherwise NVDA would not say windows+d. Does
anyone know of what may be causing this?Thank
you,
Brandon Keith
Biggs

Jessica D <jldail13@...>

Hi,
I'm using vmWare fusion, and having a similar problem.
When I press "windows a, nothing happens.
All other commands work.
I don't currently have an NVDA key, because you can't use insert, under vmWare fusion.
What could I use instead?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 20, 2017, at 1:17 AM, Laurie Mehta via Groups.Io <lauriemehta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Is there a problem no matter which Windows key you use?
What I mean is-- if you use the Windows key on the left side of the space bar (along with the letter to make the keyboard command) does the problem happen?
Likewise, if you use the Windows key on the right side of the space bar to make the keyboard commands, is the problem happening?
I realize that using one or the other Windows key will be awkward along with certain letters but I'm asking because I've seen laptops with abbreviated keyboards where the key on one side or the other (of the keyboard) seems to be mapped strangely and will not perform as expected.

-LM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Saturday, April 15, 2017, 9:05 AM

Hello,I just got
a computer and the windows key commands do not work. When I
press windows+m or windows+d all I hear is the letter being
said and not the command being executed. I can press the
Windows key and the start menu opens and when I go into
input help and press windows+d I hear "windows+d",
but the command does not pass through to the
computer.Does anyone know what may be happening?
There are some access restrictions on the computer, but I am
not aware of any access restriction that would restrict the
windows key commands not working.I am guessing
that the commands are being stopped somewhere in the event
tree because otherwise NVDA would not say windows+d. Does
anyone know of what may be causing this?Thank
you,
Brandon Keith
Biggs

Laurie Mehta

You could designate the caps lock key as your NVDA key instead of using the insert key.
HTH

Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows Key commands not working?
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Saturday, May 20, 2017, 6:13 AM

Hi,

wrote:

> Subject:
[nvda] Windows Key commands not working?
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Date: Saturday, April 15, 2017, 9:05 AM
>
> Hello,I just got
> a computer and the windows key commands do
not work. When I
> press windows+m or
windows+d all I hear is the letter being
> said and not the command being executed. I
can press the
> Windows key and the start
menu opens and when I go into
> input
help and press windows+d I hear "windows+d",
> but the command does not pass through to
the
> computer.Does anyone know what may
be happening?
> There are some access
restrictions on the computer, but I am

not aware of any access restriction that would restrict
the
> windows key commands not working.I
am guessing
> that the commands are being
stopped somewhere in the event
> tree
because otherwise NVDA would not say windows+d. Does
> anyone know of what may be causing
this?Thank
> you,

Brandon Keith
> Biggs

Jessica D <jldail13@...>

Hi,
I realize that, but that's what vmWare fusion won't me do.
I can't use capslock as my NVDA modifyer, under vmWare fusion.
What key could I use instead?

Sent from my iPhone

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Saturday, May 20, 2017, 6:13 AM

Hi,

wrote:

Is there a
problem no matter which Windows key you use?
What I mean is-- if you use the Windows
key on the left side of the space bar (along with the letter
to make the keyboard command) does the problem happen?
Likewise, if you use the Windows key on
the right side of the space bar to make the keyboard
commands, is the problem happening?
realize that using one or the other Windows key will be
awkward along with certain letters but I'm asking
because I've seen laptops with abbreviated keyboards
where the key on one side or the other (of the keyboard)
seems to be mapped strangely and will not perform as
expected.

-LM

On Sat, 4/15/17, Brandon Keith Biggs
<brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com>
wrote:

Subject:
[nvda] Windows Key commands not working?
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Saturday, April 15, 2017, 9:05 AM

Hello,I just got
[...]

I can find nothing in the documentation that suggests or states that you can use anything other than the three usual (num pad insert, regular insert, caps lock) choices as the NVDA modifier key.

Are you positive that you cannot tweak vmWare fusion?
--
Brian         Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

            ~ Mark Twain

Rui Fontes

You can remap some keys to be used as Insert.
One of my friends have remapped F3 to Insert...

Rui

Date: Saturday, May 20, 2017, 6:13 AM

Hi,

wrote:

Is there a
problem no matter which Windows key you use?
What I mean is-- if you use the Windows
key on the left side of the space bar (along with the letter
to make the keyboard command) does the problem happen?
Likewise, if you use the Windows key on
the right side of the space bar to make the keyboard
commands, is the problem happening?
realize that using one or the other Windows key will be
awkward along with certain letters but I'm asking
because I've seen laptops with abbreviated keyboards
where the key on one side or the other (of the keyboard)
seems to be mapped strangely and will not perform as
expected.

-LM

On Sat, 4/15/17, Brandon Keith Biggs
<brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com <mailto:brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com>>
wrote:

Subject:
[nvda] Windows Key commands not working?
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, April 15, 2017, 9:05 AM

Hello,I just got

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 04:49 pm, Jessica D wrote:
I’ve already tried to contact Microsoft disability answer desk, and they weren’t helpful.

 It's worth trying again and seeing if you get a better tech this time.

It's not likely that you're going to find the solution you're looking for here, and that's not because sincere efforts aren't being made.  This is clearly something "off" that will likely take a tech digging around to figure out what.

Also, what's your status with support from VMWare?  You could start with them instead.
--
Brian         Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

            ~ Mark Twain

Jessica D <jldail13@...>

Hi,
I already have thet app, but nothing I do works.
I don’t want to turn off the Mac keyboard thing, because I need access to both sides.
What else can I try?

Date: Saturday, May 20, 2017, 6:13 AM

Hi,

wrote:

Is there a
problem no matter which Windows key you use?
What I mean is-- if you use the Windows
key on the left side of the space bar (along with the letter
to make the keyboard command) does the problem happen?
Likewise, if you use the Windows key on
the right side of the space bar to make the keyboard
commands, is the problem happening?
realize that using one or the other Windows key will be
awkward along with certain letters but I'm asking
because I've seen laptops with abbreviated keyboards
where the key on one side or the other (of the keyboard)
seems to be mapped strangely and will not perform as
expected.

-LM

On Sat, 4/15/17, Brandon Keith Biggs
<brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com <mailto:brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com>>
wrote:

Subject:
[nvda] Windows Key commands not working?
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, April 15, 2017, 9:05 AM

Hello,I just got
[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Jessica,

Try giving Microsoft disability line again as Brian suggested. You might get a tech who will be able to help you with your problem.

Rosemarie

> [...]

>> press windows+m or
> windows+d all I hear is the letter being
>> said and not the command being executed. I
> can press the
>> Windows key and the start
> menu opens and when I go into
>> input
> help and press windows+d I hear "windows+d",
>> but the command does not pass through to
> the
>> computer.Does anyone know what may
> be happening?
>> There are some access
> restrictions on the computer, but I am
>>
> not aware of any access restriction that would restrict
> the
>> windows key commands not working.I
> am guessing
>> that the commands are being
> stopped somewhere in the event
>> tree
> because otherwise NVDA would not say windows+d. Does

Michelle's Home Emails

Hi there

If you are using a laptop machine you may have to turn off the default hotkeys in bios. Maybe a sighted person could have a look for you.

Good luck
Michelle Stevens

Sent from my iPhone

On 21 May 2017, at 10:26 am, Jessica D <jldail13@...> wrote:

> [...]

>> press windows+m or
> windows+d all I hear is the letter being
>> said and not the command being executed. I
> can press the
>> Windows key and the start
> menu opens and when I go into
>> input
> help and press windows+d I hear "windows+d",
>> but the command does not pass through to
> the
>> computer.Does anyone know what may
> be happening?
>> There are some access
> restrictions on the computer, but I am
>>
> not aware of any access restriction that would restrict
> the
>> windows key commands not working.I
> am guessing
>> that the commands are being
> stopped somewhere in the event
>> tree
> because otherwise NVDA would not say windows+d. Does

Laurie Mehta

Hi,
In spite of the disadvantages you mentioned, BootCamp has worked well for me for many years now. DropBox has come in handy for sharing documents between the Apple and Windows environments.

I have heard several people mention the drawbacks of the VM-Fusion approach to doing Windows on a Mac and those people have said that drawbacks apply to using various screen readers, not only using NVDA.

Personally, I use BootCamp and I make use of other Apple devices (iPhone, for example) to access anything Apple that I really need to get at while I'm working in Windows on my MacBookAir.
NVDA is great! Thanks to everybody who is responsible for NVDA! (smile)
-LM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Saturday, May 20, 2017, 3:41 PM

Hi,That's correct, and

PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com>
wrote:

I can find nothing in the documentation
that suggests or states that you can use anything other than
the three usual (num pad insert, regular insert, caps lock)
choices as the NVDA modifier key.

Are you positive that you cannot tweak vmWare
fusion?
 Version 1703, Build
15063.296, Home 64-bit

 Travel is fatal to
prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our
people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome,
charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by
vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's
lifetime.
            ~ Mark
Twain

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Right alt is in fact alt/control, is it not??
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Date: Saturday, May 20, 2017, 6:13 AM

Hi,

wrote:

Is there a
problem no matter which Windows key you use?
What I mean is-- if you use the Windows
key on the left side of the space bar (along with the letter
to make the keyboard command) does the problem happen?
Likewise, if you use the Windows key on
the right side of the space bar to make the keyboard
commands, is the problem happening?
realize that using one or the other Windows key will be
awkward along with certain letters but I'm asking
because I've seen laptops with abbreviated keyboards
where the key on one side or the other (of the keyboard)
seems to be mapped strangely and will not perform as
expected.

-LM

On Sat, 4/15/17, Brandon Keith Biggs
<brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com>
wrote:

Subject:
[nvda] Windows Key commands not working?
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Saturday, April 15, 2017, 9:05 AM

Hello,I just got
[...]

Can you get the menu up using the tray icon?

Date: Saturday, May 20, 2017, 6:13 AM

Hi,

wrote:

Is there a
problem no matter which Windows key you use?
What I mean is-- if you use the Windows
key on the left side of the space bar (along with the letter
to make the keyboard command) does the problem happen?
Likewise, if you use the Windows key on
the right side of the space bar to make the keyboard
commands, is the problem happening?
realize that using one or the other Windows key will be
awkward along with certain letters but I'm asking
because I've seen laptops with abbreviated keyboards
where the key on one side or the other (of the keyboard)
seems to be mapped strangely and will not perform as
expected.

-LM

On Sat, 4/15/17, Brandon Keith Biggs
<brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com <mailto:brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com>>
wrote:

Subject:
[nvda] Windows Key commands not working?
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>