A short overview of what's new, changed, and removed in NVDA 2017.2

Dear NVDA community,

As some of you are testing NVDA 2017.2 release candidate, I’d like to take a moment to give you an overview of things added, changed, and removed in the upcoming version. Because entries in “what’s new” document might sound a bit technical for many, I decided to write a release notes style post, similar to notes for releases of other screen readers and products.

What’s new in NVDA 2017.2

Highlights: Aria-current support, return of full audio ducking feature in Windows 10 Creators Update, faster response in Edge when navigating by line, UI Automation support improvements, more Unicode symbols added, some deprecated code removed.

Aria-current

Aria-current is a way to markup current step, page, time, date and others on a webpage. For example, when navigating some pages such as Mobile Facebook page, you may encounter phrases such as “current page” or “current time”. NVDA can now detect and announce these attributes when you encounter them.

More Unicode symbols added

NVDA can now announce more Unicode symbols such as fractions such as one-fifths, one-tenth and others.

Significant improvements for Edge

Previously, if you were reading multilingual documents in Edge and configured NVDA to switch languages on the fly, NVDA could not switch languages. This has been fixed. Also, NVDA will respond faster (up to three times faster) when navigating by line in Edge. Lastly, various improvements were added to support Edge better in Windows 10 Creators Update.

Audio ducking makes a full return in Windows 10 Creators Update

In NVDA 2017.1, the “always duck” option was removed when using Windows 10 Creators Update. This option is back in 2017.2.

Deprecated code removed

Various code included in earlier versions of NVDA, such as speech.REASON_ constants and deprecated configuration management functions were removed.

Other enhancements

  • NVDA will no longer prevent you from navigating to certain objects where shortcut keys were not defined.
  • Two empty spaces are no longer added when displaying keyboard shortcuts for UI Automation controls.
  • When issuing read current line command three times, the synthesizer in use will apply currently using language to read text, as well as use character descriptions for characters for certain languages.
  • Windows Calculator that ships with Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB are supported.
  • NVDA will skip UIA controls marked as layout when performing object navigation with simple review mode turned on.
  • Menu items on various websites can be activated in browse mode.
  • Various selection issues in browse mode were fixed, including an issue where select all would not work if the browse mode cursor is located on positions other than start of a page.
  • Burmese is now a supported language, bringing translations to 51 languages.
  • Added basic unit testing framework.

Sneak preview of features under active testing

Note that features below may change as time progresses, and are based on features being tested by alpha snapshot users.

  • Windows OneCore voices (Windows 10 only): you can now use Windows OneCore (aka SAPI Mobile) voices directly from NVDA without use of an add-on (listen to various NVDACon 2017 sessions for a sample).
  • Search suggestion sounds (Windows 10 and possibly other places): when you type text into edit fields that display search suggestions, you’ll hear a sound when suggestions appear. You can turn this off from Object Presentation dialog. This means you won’t need Windows 10 App Essentials add-on to use this functionality. Listen to NVDACon 2017’s Windows 10 and universal apps with screen readers session for more details (audio to be made available soon).
  • Many other small improvements under the hood.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

UMIT ERDEM Yigitoglu

Thank you for hart work for all nvda team. It is great program that
will get better and better. I have an issue using braille edge for
reading adobi digital additions content. I don't know if is there
anyway to solve this problem? Braille edge doesn't recognize the text
and that doesn't happen with jaws.
If there is anyway to solve this issue, That will help me a lot in my studies.
Best regards

--
psikoloji lisans öğrencisi- b.a student in psychology

kucevre@...
www.facebook.com/kucevre
koç üniversitesi: rumeli feneri yolu 34450 sarıyer istanbul/turkiye.

Hi,
What specific issues are you having, such as braille not showing up, keys not working and so on? If it has to do with commands, then NVDA 2017.2 should relieve most of these issues (this applies to Braille Edge and other HIMS displays).
An important disclaimer: I don't work for NV Access. I happen to be a member of a community (the NVDA users, developers, sponsors and advocates) that is experiencing (and will experience) huge growth in the coming weeks and months.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Braille only shows the window title in focus mode. If I turn focus to
review mode, I can read the first page. Than I need to move the page
by myself. also it sometimes shows the end of page twice skeeping the
first line of the next page.

[...]

Antony Stone

Very helpful.

Pleas could this sort of information be put on to the website, so that people
can read about the new version and choose whether to download it?

I can't find any mention at all of it there, even if you already know the
address https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-2rc1-released/ to get the RC
download from.

Antony.

On Tuesday 23 May 2017 at 09:59:30, Joseph Lee wrote:

Dear NVDA community,

As some of you are testing NVDA 2017.2 release candidate, I'd like to take
a moment to give you an overview of things added, changed, and removed in
the upcoming version. Because entries in "what's new" document might sound
a bit technical for many, I decided to write a release notes style post,
similar to notes for releases of other screen readers and products.

What's new in NVDA 2017.2
--
Archaeologists have found a previously-unknown dinosaur which seems to have
had a very large vocabulary. They've named it Thesaurus.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

UMIT ERDEM Yigitoglu

Braille show up I ment.

[...]

Hmmm, please try testing this scenario once NVDA 2017.2 comes out in a few days and report back.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Damien Sykes-Lindley <damien@...>

Hi there,

“Various selection issues in browse mode were fixed, including an issue where select all would not work if the browse mode cursor is located on positions other than start of a page.”

Wow...And I thought that was a possible Firefox issue the whole time! Glad to see that’s been fixed.
Cheers.
Damien.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Although glad to have windows 10 upgrades, I have noticed that generally older operating systems seem also to be working a little faster in places. Hard to define exactly of course as it tends to show up as less lag when rbringing up dialogues etc.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

No cos it also happened in emails even in outlook express, but was fixed in the master a little while back. I never twwigged to the way it was affected by cursor or focus position until somebody else noted it so that spaces for some reason confused the routine big time.
[...]

a.. NVDA will no longer prevent you from navigating to certain objects where shortcut keys were not defined.
b.. Two empty spaces are no longer added when displaying keyboard shortcuts for UI Automation controls.
c.. When issuing read current line command three times, the synthesizer in use will apply currently using language to read text, as well as use character descriptions for characters for certain languages.
d.. Windows Calculator that ships with Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB are supported.
e.. NVDA will skip UIA controls marked as layout when performing object navigation with simple review mode turned on.
f.. Menu items on various websites can be activated in browse mode.
g.. Various selection issues in browse mode were fixed, including an issue where select all would not work if the browse mode cursor is located on positions other than start of a page.
h.. Burmese is now a supported language, bringing translations to 51 languages.
i.. Added basic unit testing framework.

Sneak preview of features under active testing

Note that features below may change as time progresses, and are based on features being tested by alpha snapshot users.

a.. Windows OneCore voices (Windows 10 only): you can now use Windows OneCore (aka SAPI Mobile) voices directly from NVDA without use of an add-on (listen to various NVDACon 2017 sessions for a sample).
b.. Search suggestion sounds (Windows 10 and possibly other places): when you type text into edit fields that display search suggestions, you’ll hear a sound when suggestions appear. You can turn this off from Object Presentation dialog. This means you won’t need Windows 10 App Essentials add-on to use this functionality. Listen to NVDACon 2017’s Windows 10 and universal apps with screen readers session for more details (audio to be made available soon).
c.. Many other small improvements under the hood.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Gerardo Corripio

Exactly what does this mean that NVDA will do? Here's the text • When issuing read current line command three times, the synthesizer in use will apply currently using language to read text, as well as use character descriptions for characters for certain languages.

El 23/05/2017 a las 02:59 a.m., Joseph Lee escribió:

[...]

Enviado desde Thunderbird

Alexander Masic

Hi. Just sit here and play with Edge. And I'M sorry to say that i still find it quite slow when working with NVDA. And also when i went in to Facebook, the brailledisplay for some reason diden't follow.

And i also as a quite new NVDA-user with braille, would like to see some improvement. I simply would like to se more customize option. E.G some options were i can turn off were it stay LNKH1 and stuff like that. and just have the contents wich i work with.

That would be good for me as a combined braille and speachsyntersizer user.