New Blog Post: Will VFO Acquire NV Access?

Bhavya shah

Dear all,
‘Will VFO Acquire NVDA?’ has been a highly debated topic in the
blindness community in recent times. Find out the answer to this
inquiry with all the cogent reasoning, justification and arguments you
may desire as I explore all the possibilities and probabilities in my
new blog post.
‘Now, let me restate the question of the hour in a simplified form –
will the VFO-Group, owners of the Freedom Scientific made JAWS screen
reader, after phasing out its subsidiary AI Squared’s Window Eyes
screen reader, venture out (caught the pun?) to buy out NV Access and
its free and open source NVDA screen reader, and thereby establish an
absolute monopoly as far as Windows screen readers go?’
Post URL: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/2017/05/28/will-vfo-acquire-nv-access/
Blog Address: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Feel free to drop your comments, follow the blog or share the post.
Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

David Moore

Hi Bhavya!

Thank you for this. Open Source is the most important concept behind NVDA. I hope we can always keep it that way. The fact that we all, as a community own the NVDA code, in a sense, means that we can never be bought. How beautiful. May NVDA and this entire community serve the blind to the greatest extent. I am so proud to be using NVDA at least half of the time, and I am ready to get certified in using and teaching NVDA to others. I am here, Bhavya, to help in anyway I can.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

“never be bought?  That is not true.  Everyone has a price.  Some people money, some it’s a vacation others it might be a car.  The point is everyone can be bought out.  Do I think this will happen with NVDA No.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Would that not require a plc with shares to be the owners of nvaccess?

That would seem to preclude it until the current owners pass it on or become incapable of maintaining it.

Of course anything is possible, but I thought the who idea of declaring open source licensing was that whatever might happen to a company, the core source is still open and as such not going to be owned by any company.
I'm not going to discuss the big flaw in capitalism here, but I'm sure all realise that a so called public limited company ends up being owned by the few fat cats as the small shareholders turn a short term profit.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi,

I don't think V F O will acquire NV access. We need to keep NVDA open source as it is now because so many people can't afford to pay for Jaws plus the upgrades. I hope and pray that NVDA will stay as it is now.

Rosemarie

[...]

E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@... Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125 Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

Hi everyone,
I posted the following sentiment on another mailing list, but it won't hurt to post it here, as it is more appropriate on this list:
The best way to keep NVDA going is stronger unity and service. Unity, because everyone has a stake in this screen reader and we need to demonstrate that we're united behind this product. Service, because we need to show that NVDA benefits many people and serves people's needs. And I don't mean just words alone: words won't be enough in times like this, and one practical action we can take is embracing users of other screen readers. What Gene is doing is just a start: by writing a transition guide, it reassures folks that NVDA community does care about embracing others. I'm reaching out to scripters of other screen readers in the form of Project Contact Lenses, which is producing good results at the moment: fruitful dialogue between scripters and NVDA contributors.
If there's one thing I'd like to sincerely request from this community, it would be to take initiative to do things instead of relying on a small number of influencers to dictate what to do. We're at a point where we can utilize individual talents to promote NVDA and embrace users of other screen readers, and recent events gives us a good starting point. At the same time, I think it is important that we think critically instead of just following orders, as thinking helps us picture things better for the future.
Thanks.
Cheers,
Joseph