From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2017 1:35 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] objPad addon suggestion

I have a suggestion for objPad. Could you add a dialog box that will let you 1. monitor certain objects for changes and speak those changes. 2.
If certain objects appear you could silence those objects from speaking any changes and save them on an app by app basis. 3. if an object is unknown go into a dialog and change its roll or change the kind of object NVDA thinks that it is. 4. rename or re-label any object, give it your own name or label it based on its tooltip. 5. monitor parts of objects for changes, speak those changes when triggered by various things happening like a key press, color change, font change, text style change, so on. Assign different tts voices for different objects different pitches and rates of speech. example, all graphic objects may have a higher pitch or may speak slower or faster or use a different voice or different variant. settings could be saved and shared with other NVDA users. Also someday down the road, incorporate objPad into NVDA core itself so its a standard part of NVDA.

Brian's Mail list account

Its getting to the point where add ons that add functions, could themselves need or spawn add ons as some things become possible that are not so in the nvda core.
Hooking certain objects and doing stuff with them seems to be getting more needed of late.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

In the past, I would have said "yes", but in order to instill a culture of thinking, I'd like to ask you to think carefully about the scope of the add-on. Is ObjPad purely a navigational add-on or does it do something else?
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Gene

How do you know the functions couldn't be done in the core?  I have no idea if they can be or if it would be more efficient to put such functions in the core.  Even if they are placed in an add on, they should be migrated into the core.