From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: May-29-17 7:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] copy and paste

I am one of those Window Eyes long time users that is now being forced to learn a new screen reader. I knew this was coming so downloaded and started learning how to use NVDA several weeks ago. I did take the offer for a free copy of Jaws and am also trying to learn it as well.
I compare ease of use between NVDA and Jaws and in many cases find NVDA easier to use.
One function I find better with NVDA is the ability and accuracy of selecting text in a Word document or Web page with the NVDA key F9 and Nvda key F10.
One area where I think Window eyes had advantages over NVDA and Jaws was the ability to label keys and change hot keys to your likeing.

Quentin Christensen

Hi Don,

Thanks for your feedback!

Regarding changing hotkeys, the "input gestures" dialog will let you set custom gestures.  Press NVDA+n for the NVDA menu (where the NVDA key will either be INSERT or CAPS LOCK) then press P for preferences then N for input gestures (or arrow through the list and press ENTER on it).

In the dialog, you can filter to "search" for a command, then TAB to the list of commands (it's a tree view, sorted by command type) - use the left and right arrow keys to expand or collapse the tree branches.  When you are on the command you want to add a new command to, press alt+a then press the key command and ENTER .  Then press ENTER again to save your changes.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brandon Cross <bcross3286@...>

Glad your making the transition relatively well. I have only tried window eyes for a short time. I have been an NVDA user since around 2009. any way, if there is any way we can help, just ask. I personally want to help in any way I can because its a major thing to deal with, and I am not at all a fan of Jaws, so loving NVDA.

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 10:08 PM, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
I am one of those Window Eyes long time users that is now being forced to learn a new screen reader.  I knew this was coming so downloaded and started learning how to use NVDA several weeks ago.  I did take the offer for a free copy of Jaws and am also trying to learn it as well.
I compare ease of use between NVDA and Jaws and in many cases find NVDA easier to use.
One function I find better with NVDA is the ability and accuracy of selecting text in a Word document or Web page with the NVDA key F9 and Nvda key F10.
One area where I think Window eyes had advantages over NVDA and Jaws was the ability to label keys and change hot keys to your likeing.

Brian's Mail list account

Yes I think its really important there are more than one option, as we all learn differently. I do have an uphil struggle with people who are using Guide for a while but outgrow it. Yes it was simple but it had nothing in common with windows which makes attempting to teach anyone how to use a real screenreader doubly hard in my view. I used to use
Dolphin Supernova, which works well, but to me it was a bit slow compared to nvda at times, plus of course you have to pay for updates and are stuck with the cost, albeit not such a rip of price as Jaws has been.
What I do now with nvda is give a largish donation each new version but I did a small interim one this time as the better way that select all and some other things got fixed and worked this time in snapshots.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Wow! when my room mate and I thought we were forced off the JFW beta testing team. My room mate went and downloaded a demo of windoweyes. We lasted with it for only 2 hours! Then we ran back home to JFW! My room mate asked a friend who had a free version of windoweyes and he told us to uninstall it at the control panel. We could have got used to it. But we had no support using it. We tested Jaws 5.0 We were going to leave the team anyway! I was on the verge of getting a new computer of my own. that was when I got my first xp box! I felt I wanted it because I was not learning how to use the computer properly. I have a slight learning disability and I have to learn things hands on! I wished I had tried using windoweyes. Someone said it looks a lot like windows. NVDA was easy as well. With my own computer. I can learn at my own pace.

I am one of those Window Eyes long time users that is now being forced to learn a new screen reader. I knew this was coming so downloaded and started learning how to use NVDA several weeks ago. I did take the offer for a free copy of Jaws and am also trying to learn it as well.
I compare ease of use between NVDA and Jaws and in many cases find NVDA easier to use.
One function I find better with NVDA is the ability and accuracy of selecting text in a Word document or Web page with the NVDA key F9 and Nvda key F10.
One area where I think Window eyes had advantages over NVDA and Jaws was the ability to label keys and change hot keys to your likeing.

Sally Kiebdaj

Hello Don,

I've been using Window-eyes for over 15 years and am not looking forward to greater JAWS dominion. Nice to see another GWMicro-er here.

Thank you to those who have offered support and sympathy on this thread!

It is reassuring   to know that hotkeys can be rewritten in NVDA as that was definitely one of my favorite features in window-eyes.

Cheers,
Saly

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 3:05 AM, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
[...]

in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Arlene" <nedster66@...>
[...]

mcLeod stinnett

well, I will continue to use w/e for as long as I have win 7. but I will still download jaws, since they are giving it to me. I really like NVDA's way of copying text.